Do any of you boat/canoe/kayak at night?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TheGuildedAge, May 30, 2015.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I live a few miles from a fairly large lake. I really want to get out there during a full moon and kayak this summer, hopefully a few times.

I'm curious what kind of lights you use for boating at night. I would be able to keep close to shore, so my main issue is other boats seeing me. Because of the docks, I don't think visibility is as much of an issue. Most docks have lights.

Anybody do a lot of night boating? Any tips, tricks, etc.

Adam Strange likes this.
  2. pbmw

pbmw Member

I live on Puget Sound
    I have a 52 ft Beneteau Oceanis
    I sail at night all the time.
    My biggest issue is commercial traffic. But I can track that easily
    If I were to think about being in a little boat with little to none visibility...I'd be staying close to shore
    I've kayak'd on the sound. You have to really be aware of the traffic around you. That's difficult without some instrumentation.
    Just like motorcycling...head on a swivel....

3. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Only when I'm making a break for it...

Malcolm121459 likes this.
  4. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

I have kayak fished at night. There are regs for what kind of light you are required to have, likely different in every state. Consult your Fish and Game boating regs.
    I use a flashlight stuck thru the bottom of a Country Time lemonade plastic container, on a pole about 5 feet in the air. It shines off the top of the bottle and diffuses the light nicely. It is supposed to be visible for two miles here in Texas. A non motorized boat is not required to have red and green bow lights.

5. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

I used to night sail in the gulf of Mexico near Clearwater.
    Your lights are the same as ships (kinda)
    Red (port) Green (starboard) white ( stern) and while motoring a white 360 higher than the others.
    Kayaks are exempt, but I'd want at least a flashlight to ward off other boaters. I wouldn't kayak at night or canoe.
    There are battery powered lights that look like flashlights with a clamp for small craft.

Contact you local Coast Guard Auxiliary if you need regulations, good guys.

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

We camp on a small lake every year and I've gone out late, in the moonlight. Never any other traffic to worry about and it's really cool - like gliding thru space.

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I kayak and paddle board at night with green, red and white lights tacked to the craft. And I watch for hazards and other craft.

8. don carney

don carney Silver Supporting Member

I have fished in the dark from a kayak on a river from time to time but there are no other boats out so no concerns in that regard. The concern is from various critters (gators etc). I use a small but high powered flashlight mounted on a headband that I bought at Batteries Plus. Works well for changing hooks, dealing with a fish, etc.

9. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Not on purpose. As dumb kids we rented ocean kayaks on the Snake river in Cape Cod. We kept them all day and attempted to get to block island ( I think) as dusk approached. About half way there better judgment kicked in and we turned back. We followed the We shore lights and made it back around 11. It was scarier than we thought being on the ocean in the dark in a plastic toy.

10. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

Small outboard skiff and kayak at night. GPS tracks help a lot. Kayaks, here in SC, are only required to have a white light visible for 360 degrees. I don't keep it on, unless I hear a boat coming. You can hear them a long way off.