• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do any of you not really know how to change strings?

GermanCDN

Personally, I find changing strings to be very therapeutic, it's one of my favourite mundane tasks to do when I need to unwind.

I've known a lot of new players who don't know how to change their strings, generally I have them bring me their guitars and I give them a quick change lesson and a little bit of a clean up. It's a little satisfying to see the look on their face when they play a fresh set of strings for the first time, especially on acoustic.

Pretty sure there are a lot of players out there that don't know how though. I always find it funny when I buy a guitar sight unseen, open up the case to find five wraps around a locking post.

s2y

I didn't the first few months I had my guitar when I was 15. Have done it since. The only thing I'm not good at is restringing nylons. I don't currently own one, but it's worth paying someone to restring those. I was always really bad at that.

Starshine

I was in a band once where the singer/guitarist could barely tune his guitar, much less change strings. Of course, he was a hipster who just wanted to be in a band because all his hipster friends were in one. Funny thing was he was a pretty talented songwriter with good stage charisma. He probably would have been a good frontman if he had dedicated himself to it. I don't think he plays anymore.

UncleStric

Pretty much every guitar player knows how to change strings, but so many don't know how to do it properly. That's the problem.

Cal Webway

After doing a million IV's in less than healthy pt.s as a medical worker (retired), doing hand-eye stuff
like changing strings is quick!!

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
old guitarist i played with in high school couldn't change his own strings.... blame floyd rose

chrisr777

I do admit that the first time I had to change these I was a bit confused. Wait......the hole is where? But I managed.

boost

I'm at a music store every week for a half hour while my kids have lessons. I see at least 3-4 people every month come in to change all or just one broken string. I have no idea how good they play. I'm sure this happens a lot at music stores all over the country. Gravy job right there.

fiveightandten

Silver Supporting Member
I finally started chaining my strings one at a time after I noticed what a difference it made in neck relief and general intonation. If you take them all off, you neck is not happy. If you feel like adjusting your neck every time you change your strings, be my guest.
+1

Big difference. It throws the neck out of whack. I only take all the strings off if it's absolutely necessary.

s2y

Piezos can get messed up when removing all strings. The bridge on my archtop would fall off and I'd have to potentially do a few things. None of which are easier than just doing strings one at a time.

Squeakys

I may have to have someone start doing it for me. The pinching motion to grab the tuner is incredibly painful for me (arthritis). For tuning I usually grab the key between my first and second finger and carefully turn as needed.

ShadowCanAm

I know a guy that's been playing in bands steadily for at least 40 years. If he tries to change strings, he'll wind it the wrong way around the post every time. It's crazy.
I started playing in 1985 on an old acoustic with rusty strings that my grandmother had. I bought a set of stings and restrung it before I could even play one chord.

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
The repairman/luthier who works out of our local GC is always changing strings on guitars that are owned by local people. Either they don't know how, or they just don't do it themselves.

:dunno

R13D

I may have to have someone start doing it for me. The pinching motion to grab the tuner is incredibly painful for me (arthritis). For tuning I usually grab the key between my first and second finger and carefully turn as needed.
Maybe something like this?
45.jpg

Mike Thomas

Personally, I find changing strings to be very therapeutic, it's one of my favourite mundane tasks to do when I need to unwind.

I've known a lot of new players who don't know how to change their strings, generally I have them bring me their guitars and I give them a quick change lesson and a little bit of a clean up. It's a little satisfying to see the look on their face when they play a fresh set of strings for the first time, especially on acoustic.

Pretty sure there are a lot of players out there that don't know how though. I always find it funny when I buy a guitar sight unseen, open up the case to find five wraps around a locking post.

Thumbs up to that reply, I kind of get where you are coming from, it does have a bit of a relaxation feel to it, now that I don't have to do a whole bunch of restrings all the time like when I was working at a guitar shop.

I kind of liken the cerebral effect to my senses of that to almost being like back in the day when the music industry changed to those clear plastic cassette tapes, and when you first got a new tape you could take a big whiff inside it and get that new tape liner notes printing fresh smell. OHHHH what a feeling!

57tele

Depends on the instrument. Ball end steel strings on guitar are easy, some of the other stuff not so much. If I broke a string on my piano, I'd be making a phone call. .
Try changing any strings on your Veena yet? I thought about it before a big show because I had really been banging on the high melody string for some time. Took a close look and changed my mind. Yikes!

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I have been in a guitar shop before and overheard a customer asking for a refund or repair. Said the guitar was in tune when he bought it last week and now it is not.
This happens. It is not unlike when I work in bicycle shops and people would come in needing air or a flat fixed.
I could not imagine not knowing how to change a guitar string or repair a flat on a bicycle.

But I also remember an elderly lady in our church realize that once she became a widow, she needed to learn how to put gas in her car. (No full serve in these parts)

s2y

The repairman/luthier who works out of our local GC is always changing strings on guitars that are owned by local people. Either they don't know how, or they just don't do it themselves.

:dunno

Or perhaps he did some work and had to remove the strings.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom