Do any of you singers dislike your own voice?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Neer, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Neer

Neer Member

I dislike the sound of my own voice a lot and because of the sound of it, it has caused me to either 1) alter the way in which I sing physically, which is usually not my preferred method, 2) not sing the music I enjoy, or 3) learn to live with it and make the most of it. I choose #3, but I am never satisfied EVER with what I hear. It is a tone thing, as my voice is raspy, yet a tenor voice. Phrasing is not so much the issue, as that is something that I work on.

The reason I detest it is that it reminds me of a few singers whose voices I can't stand to listen to. This is painful to me.

What are your thoughts on this? It was told to me that Marvin Gaye disliked his own voice. I would sound like a Soul or R&B singer.

2. c_mac

c_mac Member

On a technical level, I have a great voice. I'm a very pleasantly toned high tenor; very clear and bright with a pretty wide range. Many singers would love to have the high end range that I have. However, I HATE not being able to sing raunchier styles of music and I hate not having a good lower register. I suppose that it's the classic "glass is always greener" kind of thing.

3. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

I don't think I've ever known a singer who didn't hate his/her voice. John Lennon, my favorite singer of all time, famously hated his voice and was always begging George Martin to alter it.

4. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

5. sanrico

sanrico Member

I don't care for my own voice, but it's flexible and I can do things with it that most can't, so I know it's my strength.

6. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

I have a clear tenor...been told it is a decent lead voice but I love to sing background and arrange the harmony parts...

I don't dislike my voice per se, but wish I could get that Paul Rodgers sound working...

When we used to play clubs I could sometimes get a bit of the Paul Rodgers/Bob Seger sound during the third set, when my voice was getting ragged and strained...and a couple/ three Wild Turkey shots thrown down.:eek:

7. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

I don’t prefer it, but I’ve also become a better singer over the last few years, so I’m a lot more accepting of it.

What helps is that I love a lot of music where the voice certainly isn’t anything special, but the music/whole package is still solid.

I’m always wishing my voice sounded like someone else, but then it wouldn’t be me and I’d likely try to copy everything they do.

My voice certainly benefits from practice and knowing the notes well, which translates into confidence and better projection and tone.

Oh, and picking the right keys/range is crucial.

8. suckamc

suckamc Member

Most singers have to go through a phase of getting used to the sound of their own voice. That feeling you get or once got from hearing a recording of yourself speaking is repeated once you start singing. Hang in there until you like it.

9. Neer

Neer Member

I would like a Paul Rodgers tone--his seems kind of rounded to me. I really am into R&B and Soul singers: Donny Hathaway being my favorite.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  10. Neer

Neer Member

I have been used to my voice, as i've been singing for more years than I care to admit and made a few bucks, but I will never dig it.

11. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

I don't like mine. I'm a fair singer. I can hit pitch solid and can sing a lot of different styles. I'm probably a better songwriter than anything, and I'm just a shade above average at that.

But, people still show up and listen and even cheer! So I guess I don't suck.

I've never liked my voice, but I've learned how to get the best out of my voice, and that's all I can do. I've had a few people come up after a show and say they love my voice, but it's not an every show or every other show experience.

In one of my bands, we have a female vocalist who sings with me. We sing very well together, and her husband harmonizes really with with the two of us. Now she can flat out sing. And it's kind of humbling at times playing with her.

12. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Vocals sound good to me. The arrangement was slow to me and the vocal could have been higher in the mix but def no probs with that singing.

It's funny you are bringing this up because I had to make some videos yesterday for cold calling on gigs and it's always hairy listening back to yourself.

13. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I'm a #3. Not a lot of range, don't breath properly. My voice teacher once said I'd do fine as a bluesy singer with some grit, or a crooner (or mediocre rock-ish/ rootsy), but "you'll never be a belter or a screamer."

LOL ... that's OK with me, it's just my 2nd line anyway, mostly as a way to do songs I want to play that others may not know, and to round out my value in a band situation.

I've been told at times that I'm a good blues singer and have sung in several bands doing blues, some rock, some rootsy stuff, but I don't think I am. My teacher once asked me "what do you sing in the shower?" and my answer was I don't sing in the shower because I don't want to listen to myself sing.

:cool:

14. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I've learned to hate everyone else's voice.......so mine has a tendency to stand out ...but really folks;

I have a good singing voice but I'm acutely aware that when I don't keep it up and sing fairly often, I lose strength and range, which I can regain but it takes a few sessions. Otherwise it's a personal disappointment to jam with some folks and have my voice blow out after a few songs. Vocals are a use it or lose it situation from my experience.

15. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I have had the opportunity of seeing Paul Rodgers sing from very up close (first row in small venues) a few times now in the last few years on the RockLegendsCruise II and III and his agility just amazes me. He doesn't have a deeply dramatic voice, like Roger Daltry or Jim Morrison, or a distinctive voice like Michael McDonald. But he just never seems to falter or second guess himself, or hit a bad note. He is sounds exactly the same live as he does on records, which is amazing.

You know Paul credits Otis Redding as his "That's how you do it" guy when he was just getting started.

His son also sang on the cruise and he has inherited his dad's tone and his style is getting very close. I am uploading a video I took and will link it in soon.

Sorry the guitar sounds so trebly (I am surprised by that)

I was not born with a great voice (my sinuses are closed down, so I sound honky), so I don't like my voice. For me the hardest thing is that I really cannot find my sound - any sound that works for me. Sadly, I can do a lot of other things musically (play bass, lead guitar, keyboards, score horn charts, - but I have never found a vocal place that works and it has been my biggest musical disappointment.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  16. Rimbaud

Rimbaud Tarnished Silver Gold Supporting Member

Mike, too late...I got to hear your voice before you edited your post...

That is some good singing...nice slide work too...

Just want you to know I freakin' hate you...jealous!

Really, great sound.:aok

17. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I didn't like my voice until I stopped trying to sound 'good.'

I have a big range, but most of it is bass or sub-bass. Not as raspy as Tom Waits or Mark Lanegan, but close.

But I didn't start wanting to sound like that. I wanted to sound like Layne Staley. (with less nasalness, cause I don't have that sinus structure)

Here is me in high school
    https://soundcloud.com/oscar-matzerath/what-you-break

bleh

Here is me now
    https://americansinner.bandcamp.com/track/judgment-day

Now I was totally as capable of being that raspy in high school, heck, in junior high. In fact, that is the easy way for me. Was just how I used it.

18. Neer

Neer Member

I appreciate your words. I took it down because I really just wanted start the discussion and not come off as 'needy', if you know what I mean. I think I will always be a singer, but I will always be disappointed with the sound of my voice.

When I worked a lot as a vocalist, I found I enjoyed it most when I really let go, in a Mick Jagger sort of way. There is something to say for a devil-may-care attitude in singing; however, it doesn't work for everything.

19. Neer

Neer Member

I will listen to it later on, thanks for posting. Mark Lanegan is probably my favorite Rock vocalist.

20. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I don't like my voice at all and it sucks because I could easily throw a 3 piece together and play a lot more. I mean I can sing some stuff decently (Wagon Wheel, Suspicious Minds, Rooster, Stones stuff, Wonderwall, etc, etc), but I don't think I'm very good. I don't get why I can sing some stuff well, but other stuff not at all as long as it's not Chris Cornell type stuff? Some days I can do really well and other times not at all. Learning the words can also be an issue.

I think I just need to go for it though and go for the lowball gigs so I can get back to playing more. Sometimes you get what you pay for.... and these would probably be some of those times. :)