1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Do attenuators add noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by freaksho, Apr 17, 2008.

1. freaksho

freaksho Member

i have a Hotplate that i have used with both my 2204 and my Shiva. i stopped using it because it adds a very quiet but noticeable buzz on top of the tone, which is heard most easily on clean tones. when i first heard the noise i thought it was the 2204 and it drove me crazy trying to find the source. then when i heard it with the Shiva also . . .

so anyone else heard this? is it just THD or others too?
    (i never attenuate more than -8dB)

thanks.

2. oddjobpeters

oddjobpeters Member

I have a Weber Mini Mass and don't experience any buzz with cleans, even when I'm attenuating way down.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

hm.

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

a buzz? i have a Weber Mass 150 and there is zero buzz, hum, or hiss. And that's saying something since i live in a place with dirty power.

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

to be sure, it is a very slight buzz. you would never hear it with a band. anyway, i wonder if mine's defective.

any Hotplate owners?

oh crap, i gotta go. be back tonight.

6. kanderson

kanderson Member

I used to own a hotplate and I can't say that I remember any buzz coming from mine. I now have an airbrake clone that I built and it's quiet as a mouse. I'd sell it and try another attenuator.

7. mailman

mailman Member

I've got an 8 Ohm Hotplate and no extraneous noise whatsoever. Drop Ed DeGenarro at THD an email and he'll help solve your problem, fer sure!

8. mike80

mike80 Member

I used to have an 8 ohm Hotplate, and I don't recall any noise at all.

9. CodeTitan

CodeTitan Member

No noise coming from my Hotplate. In fact the hotplate has a noise reduction circuit built-in that helps reduce the hiss from my amp.