do blues players use compressors?

auffredou

lately i always have a compressor on. i typically play jam type stuff, which it is perfect for, but when messing around on blues licks based on john mayer's "slow dancing in a burning room" today, i realized i liked the compressor on as well. do blues players often use compressors?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
Not the ones who plug into tube amps on 8 because they get their compression from the amps. Others do.

auffredou

oh thats right, i didnt really consider the fact that amps compress the higher they are driven. i typically play an amp at pretty low volumes, whether im practicing or mic it for a gig.

pacomc79

depends on the application. All of the things we use are tools used in necessary situations to achieve the desired tone.

You may need them in some rigs and then they may be completely wrong in others.

with light strings (.09) you may need it cause they don't have sustain unless you use a really high action.
all the great blues players use around .011 gauge (or more). That with a decent action and a cool amp (even at low volumes) may give you all the sustain you need without loosing dynamics.
BUT if you want to play long legato runs (bluesmen don't do that anyway)in between bluesy improvs, you may need a compressor.

monstermike

with light strings (.09) you may need it cause they don't have sustain unless you use a really high action.
all the great blues players use around .011 gauge (or more).
.009s sustain just fine. And as far as great blues players using .011 or higher, Albert King used .009s. So did B.B. in the Seventies (he's back up to a .010 set now). Albert Collins used .010 - .038. Freddie King's custom set had a .010 E string, a .011 B string, and a .012 G string. I'm sure there are more - that's just what I remember from old Guitar Player interviews!

Lighter strings do reward a different attack and finesse than heavy strings.

bluesmain

It is nice to turn a tube amp up but, most venues here are in the can you please turn mode, so use of a stomp box helps for lower volume stuff sustain.

.009s sustain just fine. And as far as great blues players using .011 or higher, Albert King used .009s. So did B.B. in the Seventies (he's back up to a .010 set now). Albert Collins used .010 - .038. Freddie King's custom set had a .010 E string, a .011 B string, and a .012 G string. I'm sure there are more - that's just what I remember from old Guitar Player interviews!

Lighter strings do reward a different attack and finesse than heavy strings.
ok, i won't argue citing other players.
In my experience, there's nothing like playing straight with heavy strings. I once was a fan of Holdsworth and used light strings and compression but over the years i've take account in the benefits of huge strings going without a compression device.
Anyway, don't be ashamed of using the device and enjoy the ride!
Just my 2 cents :cool:

OOG

I once was a fan of Holdsworth and used light strings and compression
fwiw
Allen disdans compressors
always has
he doesn't understand why anyone would want to give up the dynamics in their playing
me neither

many will argue this
it's an old song

what ever works for
works for you

but for me
over use of compressors/limiters
have really laid waste to much music of late

Lucidology

fwiw
Allen disdans compressors
always has
he doesn't understand why anyone would want to give up the dynamics in their playing
me neither

many will argue this
it's an old song

what ever works for
works for you

but for me
over use of compressors/limiters
have really laid waste to much music of late
Having played some of Alan's guitars & through different
parts of his rig (Bill is a friend of mine..)
One realizes that everything combined, when it comes to his overall setup, (including pickups)
is extremely compressed in nature ...

Would even go as far to say..
that a compressor with a lot of squish on tap will take one close to a poorman's A.H. setup ...:)

OOG

Having played some of Alan's guitars & through different
parts of his rig (Bill is a friend of mine..)
One realizes that everything combined, when it comes to his overall setup, (including pickups)
is extremely compressed in nature ...

Would even go as far to say..
that a compressor with a lot of squish on tap will take one close to a poorman's A.H. setup ...:)
kinda' like a chorus sounds like Metheny?;)