• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do cover bands need a website anymore?

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
Or is Facebook enough? We own our domain name, just wondering if it's necessary to build out a site. Do people even go to bands web pages anymore?

Heinz57Pep

I know I do. Some people are very anti FB. I happen to be one of them. It doesn't have to be real fancy. I like clear, concise websites that contain information. Not a bunch of flash-y stuff.
Yes, for example, skip the bio page where the members list their influences and the gear they use. No one cares.

Show schedule, song list, collection of videos demonstrating your ability to whip a crowd of drunks into a frenzy.

slybird

Or is Facebook enough? We own our domain name, just wondering if it's necessary to build out a site. Do people even go to bands web pages anymore?
I think every business should have a domain even if it only gets forwarded to a Facebook, Tumblr, or some other social media page.

To my knowledge it looks better to some if you have website. A few booking agents require bands to have a webpage prior to booking. They will not consider booking a band that doesn't have a website with playable songs.

stratotastic

Yes, for example, skip the bio page where the members list their influences and the gear they use. No one cares.
Yeah, and if you're ugly, overweight, and/or don't know how to dress or otherwise present yourselves, skip the band photo as well.
Show schedule, song list, collection of videos demonstrating your ability to whip a crowd of drunks into a frenzy.
Agreed.

Oh, and if you feel the need to use the word "premier" somewhere in your band description, break up the band and take up a different hobby.

Chris6870

Silver Supporting Member
I think every business should have a domain even if it only gets forwarded to a Facebook, Tumblr, or some other social media page.
It is forwarded to Facebook now. Facebook is free and gets a lot of interaction,whereas a website costs money and there is no interaction.

slybird

It is forwarded to Facebook now. Facebook is free and gets a lot of interaction,whereas a website costs money and there is no interaction.
Websites cost money? I can make a free semi-custom website on Tumblr or wordpress in a few minutes. I can even keep my custom domain name if I use Tumblr, Wordpress will let you do if for $3 a month.

As for where you get the most interaction, you know your marketing best. We get the most action from Soundcloud. Our Facebook is mostly our friends, not many strangers. We use every social media site available and utilize subdomains to link to them, e.g. facebook.bandname.com, twitter.bandname.com.

Brad8008135

Silver Supporting Member
Facebook is free
Yeah, but Facebook doesn't show up at the top of Google searches; if I needed a band and didn't have any recommendations, that is how I'd search. Out of curiosity, I just searched for "atlanta's premier party band" and I couldn't find a Facebook link in the first two pages. I'd at least have a single one-page website, with links to your social media at the top. That shouldn't cost too much.

Last edited:
probably, for no other reason than to have some videos.

All things done, I dont think a lot of cover bands will see any sort of increase in attendance with or without a web site.

Some will.

Although I am a guitar player who sometimes works with cover bands I don't find cover bands particularly interesting. But when I am thinking about whether I should start working with a particular cover band or not I like to be able to look somewhere on the internet to find out if they are a regularly working cover band, a casually working cover band, or a not working very much at all cover band. Individual band member biographies are all right because I would like to know something about the cats I might be working with.

But it is really up to the band decider to decide what kinds of online presence the band has. A cover band I currently work with has a Facebook page and a page or two on a website for bands that work in this general geographic area. There is no biographical information about me on it. Though there are probably some photos on the band's Facebook page. I don't spend any time looking at it. I see them enough in person.

I personally don't really care much about Facebook. I don't post there very often. But I got a Facebook page because a lot of musicians I know have Facebook pages and sometimes send me messages. I don't have Twitter or Instagram accounts.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Yes, imho you need a website if you are a serious professional band.. We get most all of our gigs from this website www.freighttrainband.com and this one www.rodwelles.com. And put some band music on your site..
No more going into clubs with a demo CD.... just bring a business card with the bands web address...

Last edited:

Yer Blues

Depending on your goals as a band, or your band leaders goals, then I think facebook can be enough. A lot of venues/bars have facebook, too so they will contact you that way. I'm pretty sure bandleader of the main band I play with gets more gigs and communicates more through facebook than by phone/text or e-mail.

And on that tip, if your band is putzing around the local sports bar circuit, don't use the word TOUR for your show schedule.
I do this when I talk or share jokes.... I think it's pretty funny. Hopefully people know I'm joking. :)

Paleolith54

And on that tip, if your band is putzing around the local sports bar circuit, don't use the word TOUR for your show schedule.
A local eighties cover band which plays the same small dives as my former band was advertising for a new guitar player. They referred to themselves as a "touring cover band", I think because they played one gig in the Atlanta suburbs.

Bless their hearts.

mikebat

Facebook is enough.

My personal experience and that of my friends with media businesses....FB and Instagram gets a whole lot more traffic.

Lephty

I do agree that FB etc. get more traffic than websites these days. But I still think a band should have a website simply because it looks unprofessional not to.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom