Do different types of tone caps really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Taller, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    That would be different types not values.

If I understand basic electronics correctly, a cap filters out certain frequencies, right? Thus, making tone brighter or darker depending on those frequencies which are allowed through that are not filtered out by the cap.

So, if the cap is shunting select frequencies to ground while the majority of the signal is ignored by the cap and procedes merrily through the tone control, how does the type of cap effect those frequencies which theoretically do not even go through the cap?

:crazy

2. rooster

rooster Member

Y'know, I've been an electronics tech for 20 years, and a pretty good guitar tech for about 10 years. I thought the same thing.

Then I put paper-in-oil Sprague Vitamin Q caps from the '60's in my guitar, and I realized that there are things that the ear can hear that don't translate to an oscilloscope trace or a mathmatical equation.

If you have a good amp and a good guitar with a good cable, try it. You'll be amazed.

rooster.

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I use mylar. But if you want you can a dozen or so different ones and solder little aligator clips to them and test hook them up and see which ones you like best.