Do EF86 preamps take pedals/boosts especially well?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by imjustadrummer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

amp: Bad Cat Panther
    preamp tubes: ch 1 12ax7; ch 2 EF86

to be fair, BOTH channels take pedals well,

BUT, the EF86 channel is the gainier channel, and EVEN with the gain all the way up, this channel remains VERY clear and detailed with the added signal from a pedal... even if there is a fair amount of gain/squash in the pedal...

I've had several other amps that TOTALLY fart out when pushed up front with a pedal... the Bad Cat DOES NOT! Really cool feature to have on an amp if you want to boost with pedals.

so, is this the nature of EF86 tubes, or is it the amp circuitry...??

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

Mine works mint, yet, as with most amps, some pedals shine more, depending on the amp and settings.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I don't know the exact technical specs, but a good way to think of the EF86 is like having a 12AX7 with three times the amplification or gain. They have way more headroom. In the unique circuit application of the EF86 in my Dr z KT45 and Z28 I can have these amps almost dead clean with just a hint of clipping. Then I can hit them with OD or compression and they don't clip any more. Just add the OD on top of the nice subtle tune warmth/gritty compression. It makes for very amp like tones from pedals and a clean amp.

4. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've had nothing by good luck with pedals in front of an EF86 amp. Matchless Clubman and Matchless HC-30. Take my pedals like a champ!

Panther - it's on my list! Need to get one someday! (own a Hot Cat 30R head).

5. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

My experience has been that an EF86 will not "go to it's knees" when a boost or OD pedal is put in front of it, like a 12ax7 will. Very high headroom tube. So you will hear the pedal more as opposed to a combination of the pedal and the 12ax7 breaking up. I think it delivers a less fizzy, thinned out OD sound that way. IMO it is a thicker sounding tube than most ax7's. I have used them in Dr. Z Z28, Rt.66 as well as Valvetech Hayseeds and in my DC30. $$$ to get a good one though.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I've had good success using OD pedals with EF86 amps:

Matchless DC30
    Dr Z Z28
    Dr Z KT45

7. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

Interesting...
    Playing with the Panther has really been a lesson in amp responsiveness...
    I was thinking I would get rid of it b/c I wanted more gain out of it, but the EF86 channel is so nice with its responsiveness to pedals, I'm realizing that the tone continues to stay tight even when pushed and the tone can really be shaped by whichever pedal I want to use...
    very nice