Do Electric Guitars "Break In"?

Presc

I recently took delivery of a new Danocaster S-style. In Dan's final email after I confirmed delivery, he noted:

"as you play it, you will notice that it will “open up” over the next couple months and become a bit more 3D"

Clearly, Dan's a guy who knows a guitar as well as anyone. I already bought the guitar and he wasn't trying to sell me anything with that statement.

Now that I'm a month into owning the guitar (and have played the crap out of it during that time), I am getting better tones than when I first took delivery. BUT - is due to a physical change as the instrument settles in, or have I simply learning how to dial in the guitar to my rig and perhaps more importantly, adjust my playing to coax the best sounds from it?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
It's more a case of adapting to the instrument in the near term.But nitro as well as moisture does evaporate over a long period of time. Pickup magnets weaken as well. That's why baked wood, sounds different as well.
Also some guitars just resonate better than others.

Even though we all are chasing the Holy Grail, probably better to work on our playing instead,LOL!

juxtapolice

Absolutely. I don't think it even takes years just after some regular use, few dozen string changes etc etc I'm not an expert but everything feels more settled and adjusted to how you play, type of strings you use, the guitar will adapt a bit. I bought my first brand new guitar , a 2017 es335, in 2017 when they were going cheap. I loved it right away but it certainly felt very new after about 100 gigs the neck has smoothed over, it stays in tune better, likely sounds the same objectively but it feels better so I play better on it

Flogger59

I think I break myself into the guitar.

Case in point, my Firebird. There is a reason they're factory strung with .009 to .046. They're stiff compared to my other Gibsons. So, I slapped on some .010s and played nothing but that guitar for a year. It doesn't feel stiff anymore. OTOH my other guitars feel floppy.

Trending Topics