Do Gibson Flying Vs and Explorers have their own sound?

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,776
Interested in other thoughts on this. I always thought a V was like a SG and an Explorer was like a LP. After watching this I'm not so sure.



BTW, that white V is calling on me [email protected]@-
 

deytookerjaabs

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,551
These "comparison" video by gain loving rock noodlers.....

Nothing these guys play is going to sound "unique."


Here's a good Flying V example:



I mean, the player is 90% of the equation but if you're looking for the other 10% (if it's there) you sure as heck won't find it with the noodle heads in these youtube vids.
 
Last edited:

EADGBE

Member
Messages
12,337
I think they do. I have a mini V and a mini Explorer and they definitely sound different. Personally, and this is just speculation, I think the shape of the Explorer just sounds better. Maybe because there's more wood surrounding the pickup(s) and bridge.
 

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,776
These "comparison" video by gain loving rock noodlers.....

Nothing these guys play is going to sound "unique."


Here's a good Flying V example:



I mean, the player is 90% of the equation but if you're looking for the other 10% you sure as heck won't find it with the noodle heads in these youtube vids.


Love the vid! Seen it before.
 

TJontheRoad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,776
One of premises in the Anderson's video is that you'd only buy a V or Explorer (instead of a SG or LP) for the unique shape. I'm thinking the V sounds a little thinner overall and he Explorer has more grind. Maybe it is just my eyes listening. I should try a blind test for myself.
 

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Messages
29,240
It also depends on the pickups. The 70s explorer I used to have had tarback Gibson humbuckers, definitely its own sound. I find explorers pretty forgiving with higher gain pickups, with les Pauls being able to sound darn good with lower output type pickups.
 

deytookerjaabs

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
2,551
Love the vid! Seen it before.


If anything, I'd say that vid is a good example of on type of compressed honky humbucker sound. Any position he toggles to you still hear how the timbre changes up and down the neck.


It'd be darn hard to pinpoint differences but I'd say, all things being identical, the biggest difference will be how the strings feel in the explorer with the different string break/distance behind the headstock. The necks both join in the same spot & the body thickness is comparable (I think) so the only other difference would be.....the can of worms....but I'm going to say it anyway...the different pieces of wood (of which two identical V's could sound different).
 

T Dizz

Member
Messages
21,666
If anything, I'd say that vid is a good example of on type of compressed honky humbucker sound. Any position he toggles to you still hear how the timbre changes up and down the neck.


It'd be darn hard to pinpoint differences but I'd say, all things being identical, the biggest difference will be how the strings feel in the explorer with the different string break/distance behind the headstock. The necks both join in the same spot & the body thickness is comparable (I think) so the only other difference would be.....the can of worms....but I'm going to say it anyway...the different pieces of wood (of which two identical V's could sound different).
Sh*t this thread will be nuked-

:mob
 

PatriotBadger

Member
Messages
1,808
I've always thought the Explorer was more of a fashion statement than having any substantial fundamental tonal differences from any other 'hog plank, 24.75", 22 fret, dual HB, set neck, HT guitar. And a damn good fashion statement it is. Loves me some Explorer.
 

straightblues

Member
Messages
9,924
I played an Explorer for 10 years. Explorers do not sound like Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, or SG's. My primary motivation for selling it when I went to all blues playing was I couldn't get it to sound like the guitar on old records. I picked up a Strat or Les Paul and all the sounds of the old records just popped out.
 

Devnor

Member
Messages
3,947
My R0 sounds somewhat different than both of my Hamer Explorers. Neither of those Hamers have that wooly Les Paul sound.
 

boldaslove1977

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
4,944
i own both.

the explorer is a much beefier, fatter, chewier sound. an open low E will ring for about 3 days. the V is punchier and edgier.

the V cuts through better, but doesn't sound nearly as full as the explorer.

after playing the explorer, the V feels like you're going through a dimed treble boost.
 




Trending Topics

Top Bottom