• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Do Gibsons really deserve the price tag?

lcfparty35

Perhaps a bit steep, but worth it IMO. Nothings going to “out LP” a real Les Paul. QC issues, tuning instability, and headstock breaks are greatly exaggerated on the internet
I've had a headstock break. Two wrestling teenagers (my brother and I) fell straight on it where it lay flat in a gig bag. So about 300 lbs of straight downward force will break them. I recommend these hysterical youths don't do that and it should be OK.

Old Wrinkles

If you want a Gibson then buy one. I'm not sure where you're located but I'd be really hesitant to buy a used one from a private individual because of the possibility of getting scammed with a Chibson. I'd find a very reputable Gibson dealer and discuss your location, requirements and concerns about quality issues. Hopefully they would do you the favor of being honest and sending your choice of guitar after having thoroughly inspected it and consider it to be one of the really good ones. It's a tough position to be in.

It's worth it if you (1) want the "true" Gibson tone without doing a pickup swap, or (2) love having bragging rights.

Otherwise, I'm thinking that an LP Standard costs them under $300 to make, including shop time and direct labor. Maybe as low as $100 or so.

So no.

Not even almost.

Then you add in the quality/tuning stability issues, and we're done here folks.

-R.D.
:spit

Rouge Delta

Sorry, but that's laughable
Warmth body and neck (Strat style): $750'ish

Seymour Duncan 59s: $200

Grover Rotomatics: $60

Tune-O-Matic (bridge & tail): $60

4 pots: $20

1 switch: $10

Total: $1,100

I just built a guitar (more or less) and paid FULL RETAIL for EACH COMPONENT. My guitar costs less than a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Gibson (1) buys in bulk, (2) at wholesale prices, (3) owns their own forests, and (4) can whip out a body/neck/fretboard in a very short period of time, while (5) running a production line with WIP inventory (work in process) keeping Santa's little helpers busy as beavers all the live long day, which reduces the per-unit cost.

Meh, $300 is a real number.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
For the love of g*d why is it always about Gibson's prices?!?!?!

How about the prices on these beat up bolt on neck guitars?

https://wildwoodguitars.com/product-category/electrics/fender-custom-shop/masterbuilt/
It's all some kind of weird psycho affliction. If you can't afford what you're lusting after, you turn against it and find all the reasons why it sucks. Anyhow, my main advice that I would give to anybody buying any guitar, especially a high-dollar guitar of any make, is to TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. None of these myriad internet bashing campaigns would hold any water if people just took their money and their bodies to the damned store to play before they bought. At the very least, shop online at a store with a friendly return policy. No reason at all to get burned anymore by QC problems at the Gibson factory. This all should really cease to be an issue at this point. Are there clunkers? I guess. Do you have to buy one? NOPE.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I see you watch a lot of guys on YouTube who live with their parents and never had a real job/music career. Or maybe you're a grizzled old hat who has been burned on countless Gibsons. Either way, these memes you're regurgitating have children all over the internet talking about how they'd never buy a Gibson when Epiphone are better when they're new players for whom Epiphone is targeted and can't afford a Gibson. People can like what they want but just repeating what you've heard some knob online say because it feels good to talk s**t is the hallmark of the era, and it's one more example of the simultaneous dumbing down of discourse and wild entitlement that the social media generation embraces.
Talk about dumbing down the discourse...

pete692

Silver Supporting Member

I just built a guitar (more or less) and paid FULL RETAIL for EACH COMPONENT. My guitar costs less than a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Gibson (1) buys in bulk, (2) at wholesale prices, (3) owns their own forests, and (4) can whip out a body/neck/fretboard in a very short period of time, while (5) running a production line with WIP inventory (work in process) keeping Santa's little helpers busy as beavers all the live long day, which reduces the per-unit cost.

So, you honestly think that Gibson has found a way to generate up to 5900 dollars out of a 300.00 pile of parts? Honestly, the way that people are taught about economics in this country has got to change. You literally have a guitar company PRINTING money. If this was possible at even HALF of the profitability that you've got worked out in your mind, Warren Buffet would own all the guitar manufacturing interests he could get his hands on.

lcfparty35

Talk about dumbing down the discourse...
You have no issue with children repeating negativity with no first hand knowledge because some content creator said so? Or do you enjoy getting angry about the guitars other people buy and whining about how said guitars don't please you? Because I don't care what you or anyone else plays, but when it becomes a trend for all the little Eric Cartmans online to try to bash other people's taste, I get irritated.

My experience has been that if you like and use something on a regular basis, it was worth whatever it cost. If you don’t like something and don’t use it on a regular basis, it was too expensive, whatever it cost.

Riq

Raw materials is usually a small amount of the total cost. Labor & overhead (benefits etc) really ramp up the costs.

pete692

Silver Supporting Member
You have no issue with children repeating negativity with no first hand knowledge because some content creator said so? Or do you enjoy getting angry about the guitars other people buy and whining about how said guitars don't please you? Because I don't care what you or anyone else plays, but when it becomes a trend for all the little Eric Cartmans online to try to bash other people's taste, I get irritated.
I know it's nothing new, but it's really reached a fever pitch within the last year or so. This straight up unabashed hatred of a guitar company and its historically cherished contribution to the world of guitar, and rock guitar in particular, is just off the charts. It's a derangement based on pure heresay from what I can tell. Most of these critics you could hand three different guitars with all sorts of maladies and they wouldn't be able to spot a one of them. It's a posture based on stories they keep telling each other. They have no basis or expertise in honestly evaluating the quality of anything. They want you, and need for themselves, to believe that their Epiphone is some kind of smoking deal that's "just as good" as its Gibson counterpart, and they're not going to be fooled into paying those absurd prices for an actual Gibson, cuz..............they suck.

I've had a headstock break. Two wrestling teenagers (my brother and I) fell straight on it where it lay flat in a gig bag. So about 300 lbs of straight downward force will break them. I recommend these hysterical youths don't do that and it should be OK.
The moral of this story is: play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

It's funny how many "Gibson headstock break" horror stories seem to have similar elements of stupidity, but in every case it's the fault of "poor design" on Gibson's part.:rolleyes:

i3oosted

Silver Supporting Member
I guess Gibson values their labor? You made a guitar for $400? Now make a few thousand a year and tell me how much you value your labor.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Like I said...

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
It's not hard to give Gibson a hard time, however, when I've wanted to sell one, they don't lose value compared to other brands, meaning the monetary value stays high... quality control is not that good... i could go on reverb and buy a freaking Baker B1 for less than a Les Paul (used).
If you get a good Gibson, it's a thing of joy

Markup from wholesale is typically 100%, so probably around $550 for what you spec’ed out, but suppose they’re going at 200% (which I would find HIGHLY unlikely) markup which gets you closer to your $300 figure, even then that takes 0 account of labor costs, assembly line or not. Also, a les Paul is a lot more of a process then a bolt on stray type. So your numbers still aren’t making any sense.

Also keep in mind that retailers are probably paying around $1300 for a standard themselves before marking it up to the $2500 they do for (shops have to make their money too)

lcfparty35

I know it's nothing new, but it's really reached a fever pitch within the last year or so. This straight up unabashed hatred of a guitar company and its historically cherished contribution to the world of guitar, and rock guitar in particular, is just off the charts. It's a derangement based on pure heresay from what I can tell. Most of these critics you could hand three different guitars with all sorts of maladies and they wouldn't be able to spot a one of them. It's a posture based on stories they keep telling each other. They have no basis or expertise in honestly evaluating the quality of anything. They want you, and need for themselves, to believe that their Epiphone is some kind of smoking deal that's "just as good" as its Gibson counterpart, and they're not going to be fooled into paying those absurd prices for an actual Gibson, cuz..............they suck.
Exactly, and what gets lost in the arguing is that I don't think the people here who should know better would support people mindlessly regurgitating someone else's opinion if the conversation was about something they enjoyed, but they shrug it off if they happen to dislike Gibson (in some cases). I had a guy on Reddit (why was I there?) who seemed to know guitars tell me, essentially, "So what if they are just echoing YouTube? They're right! Gibsons are trash!"

Sad. If you welcome the support of people you admit know nothing, you're just in it to talk smack.

AndrewSimon

I'd say the Custom shop models are worth the money.
The USA series, IMO is not.
+ 1
That said Gibson should make the Custom Shops even more authentic for the the price we pay.
It was an real eyeopener for me when I came across a vintage ABR-1.
It looks and sounds nothing like the modern ABR-1, the saddle shape and size is totally different.

Trending Topics