Do Guitar Cables Matter?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bscepter, Dec 13, 2005.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

I suppose simply put, I don't have the budget to lay out $300 for a cord. So I guess I'll just have to suffer with the same tonal limitations that electric guitarists have had to endure for the 40 or so years before the 300-dollar cables hit the market. :-/

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I would never, under any circumstances pay 300 dollars to get my blues guitar signal to my tube amp, with my 49 year old-tinnitus ears...even though others hear my playing too.

BUT...it ain't either/or, there are well recommended middle priced cables, and I think I owe it to myself to either come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter, or find out if it makes a marked improvement.

Main thing for me...inductance. Inductance is freqency dependant resistance in a way. When you have a 500mv guitar signal, suddenly impedances in any "normal" electronics circuit that would be negligable are much higher relative the voltages we guitarists with passive pickups are dealing with. Because of that, I think it is worth checking out, at least trying it out on a test basis.

Worst case scenario, (or is it best?) I find out it doesn't matter, it cost me one high quality (but reasonable) cable, and I've got myself an AB box to use for effects. But find my tone isn't improveable with better cables.
    But unless someone invents superconductivity cables, I don't have to think about this issue anymore.

Best case (or is it worse?) find out they make a big enough diff that it is worth buying...still have a nice new AB box and better sound. A little poorer, and I try out many cables to see if I can get the best in a price framework.

3. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Worse than that, your playing will suffer.

You won't get any more gigs.

You will instantly grow a mullett that can't be cut.

Several of your teeth will fall out.

Any pants you put on will mysteriously change to Zubaz pants.

All the beer you drink will taste like Old Milwaukee.

Women will stop throwing panties up on stage.

Life as you know it will be over.

So please think of the children and buy the $300 cable.

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

I love this place. :D

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

I've used very cheap and semi-expensive (like $8 for a 6") patch but never anything super high. My favorite is just Canare GS-6 cable and Switchcraft ends...sounds much clearer than the voodoo amps cables I was using, but those are not bad cables either. I would suggest those if you play dirtier rock, which I do not.

6. el34power

el34power Member

LMFAO

But seriously, a good quality cable, connector, and most importantly a good soldering job, will get you good results.

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

Well put.

I recently visit The Proco plant and took a tour with the CEO/Founder. He said that they had did a comparison of many cables using a bunch of top notch players and others with "great ears". At the end of the day there were definitely noticable differences in cables but nobody could agree on a favorite.

One thing that IS a must with any cable is quality construction. It doesn't matter how good the cable sounds with your rig if it won't last. So again try a few and see what works best for you.

8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

a good blow job will get you even better results.

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've tried lots of different ones. More than most on this board. They do make a difference. Funny but my favorites are opposite ends of the $ spectrum, I use mostly GL's now, but the $300 cable I borrowed for a board member here sounded great. Too much $ for me, but to say its ridiculous is just dumb. Maybe you can't afford it, or its not worth it to you, but then again you've never even tried it. I guess if I had a $5k sig, spending another $300 wouldn't seem like such a big deal. That said, the GL's are my favorite all around, especially when you factor in price.

Re: the Pete Cornish cables, they are very good as well, the quietest of all that I've tested, and the toughest covering too. Full and balanced sound. Once I have my rig together I may go back to those cables.

10. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

+1

I used to use whatever cheap cables were around until I found out about George L's. I used them ( George L's ) for about 5 years until I tried a Klotz LaGrange. The Klotz sound better to me. The cables do make a difference. If I forget the Klotz cables and end up using the old George L's it bugs me all night.

Dan

11. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Member

Bad experience here with Monster able, too. Paid a fortune for my "Studio Pro" 1000 guitar cable and found that the Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable (same length) was more clear and detailed. My whole pedalboard is now rigged with Lyric HG cable. Much better than the Monster patch cables I used to use. Sounds a little better to me than G&L.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think I've mainly settled on getting the WOBO Way Of Sound directional cables for guitar and to both of my amps... and Gepco cable with George L connectors for the pedalboard. I do need new speaker cables for both amps as well, maybe from LavaCable or Bayou... (I'm sure their speaker cables are comparable)... I'd also like to get LavaCable's LavaPower unit for clean power to everything (I think my house, which is old, has about the same power quality as the worst dive bar imaginable- and no grounds on the outlets at all!)...

13. BillyK

BillyK Member

+2 on Butch at bayoucable. I got Canare and G&H connectors. Very nicely built, with a better chance of excellent reliability from soldered connections.

I am a long time George L' user and Bill Lawrence cable user, and I can hear the dif between them and cheap cable. But I've yet to hear any dif between Canare and the GL's/BL's, although I know Canare is higher capacitance .

14. KRosser

KRosser Member

I love the thin George L's. I've been using them exclusively for several years now. I like that I can buy all the components and custom cut them to my own lengths and put them together easily without soldering. I like that they're equally easy to 'fix' if the connection gets funky. I like that they're relatively inexpensive. I like that they don't attenuate the highs.

15. fernmeister

fernmeister Member

i make my own with klotz la grange and neutrik connectors. to me the quality of cables makes a diff if you are running stage leads longer than 12feet, using lots of TB pedals and/or in a noisy environment.

16. plowkraut

plowkraut Member

+1 on the lava cables. My experience is limited to GL's, Monster, Planet Waves and Lava. The GL's are great on a board but my favorite 12 footer is the lava (performance+price=good value).

17. 57special

57special Member

Lou, Gary at Mulder Audio has my cable now, and says the instrument cable he is developing sounds better. Clearer, with more volume!!??? He wasn't bragging , just saying what he thought. I've come to trust him after finding that his x-cables improve virtually every amp/cab I've tried them in. Unfortunately , he still has eliminate some of the microphonics, so it might be a while before they are out.

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

If he can approach the tone of yours and keep the prices reasonable, I'll definitely be buying.

19. 57special

57special Member

Right now he's saying it sounds clearly better, but about twice as noisy when moving around. He's trying to dampen the unwanted sounds and still keep the good ones.
    I know he wants to keep the price down, but we'll see.

20. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

+1 on the George L's
    I didn't think it could matter untill I rewired to clean up my pedal board. Suddenly I didn't know where all the noise went. I was confused by all the extra clarity.

I now only use George L's for any of my cables. Price, easy repair(not that I've had too), and tone.