Do guitar straps sound better after they're broken in

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pat Healy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I recently switched from an ordinary black nylon strap on my Tom Anderson to a really cool, wide brown leather strap with metal studs that I bought at NAMM. I like it, but my tone is now kind of brittle...will it sound better after I get 30-40 playing hours on it?

Also I tried out a Bumble strap recently....was not impressed. Probably because it was not custom made for me. I hear Santana and Mayer love their Bumbles.

2. pbone

pbone Member

Just sprinkle a little mojo on here, and then sell it for $400. If you have have Bjorn sign it, add another $1000 on there. Although if it has the original studs, then you have to trade it to Indiana Jones before your eyes explode, for you have just donned the Arc of the Covenant.

3. JS335

JS335 Member

It can take 30-50 hours of playing time to warm up a new strap. A tip I got from Kenny Loggins was to wrap the strap around a radio that's playing "how high the moon". Make sure it's near an open window. Leave it there overnight. You won't believe the tone the next morning.

No need to thank me. Great tone is everyone's birth right.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

That's because you probably got ripped off by a fake!

5. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

Great tone from a guitar strap is really a state of mind, a very nuanced thing, full of "intangibles."

6. pbone

pbone Member

Why were you taking tips on tone from Kenny Loggins?

7. jb1911

jb1911 Member

It depends of what material it's made of. Leather takes a bit longer than cotton. I find the best way to break in a leather strap is to spank your wife or GF with it for about 20 minutes each day for a month or so.

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Great tip. I'll try that right after I do the Kenny Loggins thing. That was brilliant too.

9. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

exactly. its very "organic" and "transparent." its something you'll "feel" more than you'll "hear."

10. gekoman

gekoman Member

11. Hootad Binky

Hootad Binky Member

I'm a little fuzzy on the details so a You Tube clip is clearly in order :)

12. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Ooohhh, a chance to spend more money? Count me in!!!! Damn, their site seems to be down. GAS is eating me up. I KNOW that this mod is my ticket to tone nirvana, and I NEED IT RIGHT NOW.

13. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

im taking a close look at this new get'm get'm that really caught my eye, complete w/ NOS buckle

14. m@2

m@2 Member

wow, i just switched my strap (from a new nylon to a broken in leatherette) on my 87' Cort, and what a difference! I'm really tapping into some MOJO and sonic territory I only dreamed about before. Another tip, I layered some 2'X2' egyptian cotton swatches (no less than 800 thread count) between my strap locks and guitar, and really increased the sustain. Also, the red leatherette straps give more of a "scooped mids" thing, the black strap excels in the british crunch/Live at Leeds arena, of course YMMV.

15. radcliff

radcliff Member

I knew i was doing something wrong....I've been spanking your wife/gf this whole time!

:D

16. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Thank God I was here!

17. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

For years I had been playing with the "adjustment" end of the trap at the bottom of the guitar but recently I flipped it around to the neck area. MAN, who knew such a simple thing would completely change my tone! It was like a blanket was lifted off my amp.

Also, where does everyone put the strap in their chain? Do you plug in the guitar, then put the strap on, or put the strap on, then slide the cable through and plug it in???

18. benjisaynomore

benjisaynomore Member

I don't think you're on the same page here...

19. js54

js54 Member

Does anyone know where Robben Ford gets his straps from??

They sound like they must be pre-broken in by an enigmatic strap handler who claims to no longer be making/handling straps....and you cant mention his name here.

20. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Well the problem is that they dont make the straps like they use to with all this PTP circuitry etc...Now everything is Smd which compresses your guitar tone and gives a robotic/non organic tone.

Well I've got a strap with black goop all over it.I guess the designer did not want to reveal the mojo behind the strap...

Btw...Wtf am I talking about? :drink