Do guitarists generally suffer from low self confidence ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skunizzi, Nov 9, 2018.

1. skunizzi

skunizzi Member

This may seem like a dumb question to post but I feel like most guitarists have low self confidence when it comes to their playing abilities. No matter how well you play you always feel that there is someone else that can blow you out of the water.

I don't often hear guitarists talk about how great they are except maybe Yngwie Malmsteen.

Most great players seem to be quite humble.

So I'm asking the following question to all the players here. Honestly speaking how would you rate your playing abilities on a scale of 1-10.

I myself consider myself to be a 4.

Who's next?

2. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

Delusions of grandeur seem more common, in my experience.

To illustrate: 8.5, give or take.

Roe, MisterBoh, Krausewitz and 24 others like this.
  3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

What is conficende? Is that some kind of sexually transmitted disease?
    If so I'd say no - as guitarist are the least likely people to have woman
    friends.

HERSCHEL and goddot like this.
  4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Somehow, I think this is going to be the thread of the day:banana:brick:bkw:bumpbump:horse:drown:clips

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

More of an inability to spell....

6. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Maybe it's just being realistic. No matter what you do, there's always someone better at it than you. Especially guitar playing. There are 9 year old girls on Youtube that can kick anyone's ass here.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  7. rizla

rizla Member

Not me. Im fully aware of my abilities.
    I did suffer from self doubt for a while but after being in an environment where there were players at every level I figured out I wasnt at all crap, I also figured out I had a long way to go to be where I wanted to be.
    On a scale of 1-10? Its not important, I cant play music the way I want to hear myself play and there isnt enough time left in my life to get there but I can be happy with here Im at.

Geeze, zwiefldraader, Dale and 5 others like this.
  8. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

Many guitarists have egos way out of proportion to their actual skill/ talent

It’s whacked

9. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

No. But I'm born with a birth defect inmy left hands. And cannot hit a lot of chords. And Wish I could play like Roy Clark. :(

Jamie_Mitchell and 5cr33nager like this.
  10. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Play what?

Playing a song exactly like the recording is completely different than a freestyle jam where you're improvising.

Plus different genre is more complicated than others.

Jazz fusion is much harder than a blues jam where you can just noodle around the pentatonics and get away with it.

don carney and Wyzard like this.
  11. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'd say no.. especially when holding a guitar

joelster and Scrapperz like this.
  12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

Luckily though, jazz fusion is awful, so there's no need to play it! :D

TeeVee, egregion, MisterBoh and 28 others like this.
  13. sbr

sbr Member

I go up to 11.

14. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

If you play because you love the guitar, then you don't really care about all that gun slinging stuff. Unless you play jazz fusion.

15. Otter351

Otter351 Member

Self taught and natural guitar players are usually the ones that are most shy about their skills. A lot of them feel guilty about not having learned to read music or can't talk the musical language that more developed players can. Funny too, well-schooled players are jealous of those with natural, flowing ability. And those natural players are jealous of technical players

And, all those loud-mouth bravado players you encounter turn into pussycats in the studio when faced with seasoned engineers that ask them to do things they don't know how to do. But, we were all young and naive at some point.

16. doctorx

doctorx Member

Scale of 1-10 compared to what? Without a benchmark to weigh yourself against it's meaningless.

A newbie beginner might pick things up fast and in a couple of months be a ten with regards to his goals and how long he's been playing.

A guy that's been playing for ten-fifteen years and plays the same as the newbie would be a one or a two.

17. orourke

orourke Member

Most people don’t get really good at a thing unless they have something eating at them.

Clapton had terrible family problems as a kid, Santana was the victim of sex abuse. Lennon and McCartney lost their mothers as kids. I’m not saying it’s the case for all great artists, but it tends to be a common theme.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Vintage_ and Stratburst70 like this.
  18. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I was never one to brag about how good I "thought" I was. ;)

I knew Jeff Baxter before he moved to California.
    He used to tell me how some guys have a giant ego. He never said anything about his own playing, but he would let his playing be judged by those who heard him play. My parents told me that when I first started playing also.

When someone asks me if I am in the band, while we are waiting to go on, I say "Yes". When they ask me what instrument I play, I tell them "I'm only the guitar player".

When I'm complimented on my playing, I just say "I'm only trying to keep up with the players in the band."

Keith Richards is humble about his playing, but I have spoken to players who saw him warming up prior to a show, and they told me he is absolutely no slouch, but he knows his limitations and just plays within his abilities.

I would rather be the guitar player who backed up other guitar players, made them look and sound good, and didn't make them nervous to be around me. Having taken that attitude, I got a lot of work along the way and made friends of other guitar players. I learned that from Tommy Tedesco.

I never expect to be the best guitar player around, but I practice so that I'm not the worst guitar player around.

rodeodee, kstrat62, jamester and 11 others like this.
  19. Antmax

Antmax Member

I think guitar attracts a lot of people with introvert tendencies. Which can lead to confidence problems or odd personality quirks that rub people the wrong way, especially some of the really good ones. Spending too much time alone in a dark room with your guitar practicing makes you a potential mushroom and you might not get out enough to have learnt small talk and socializing skills. Or the other side of the coin might be that you are so impressed with your closet earned skills that you have no clue how your really sound.

Just generalizing, but being good takes a lot of time and dedication to do well. I think a lot of us feel guilty that we might not put enough in, and unless your a gigging musician, feel a bit self conscious more than shy. Because we don't have much experience with other players except on forums like these and Youtube channels where there are a disproportionately large number of great players.

20. gonzoknife

gonzoknife Member

I have always had unrealistic expectations about how I play and I’m very hard on myself about my imperfections. After all these years I’m slowly getting control over them but they’re not gone. It’s not specific to guitar, I’m this way about most everything.

Did this factor into wanting to play guitar eons ago? I have no idea.

cratz2 likes this.