• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Do heavier guitars *REALLY* sustain longer?

Category G: (you). People who believe their OPINION is a fact and, even if there is evidence to the contrary, will attack the person rather than the topic being discussed.

My first real band- guitarist played a peavey Mantis through an American metal pedal into a Peavey Bandit w/a 4x10” extension cab. He sounded amazing. I couldn’t even play that guitar because the action was so incredibly low it fretted out on every note. I sounded awful through his rig.
-We aren't on the same page.

tone fact- all instruments have an individual sound- to a musician. ( not electronic like keyboards(??) , but some amps, vintage amps do have their own voice due to early era manufacturing inconsistencies- coupled with aged components responding slightly differently)

Just out of interest - how do you measure sustain? I'm guessing you don't use your ears(?). That you might use an instrument of some sort. Like how do you determine the point of 0 sustain after you pluck the string?
to a musician, or to a guitar player, it has to be with your ears and your brain, otherwise it is irrelevant/useless.The liveliness of an instrument can be measured sonically by listening to the amplitude, or the ' briskness' of the notes as they come out of either the guitar body, or the amp. The sustain can be measured by listening to how much depth there is to the note timewise from left to right. this ' liveliness' and ' sustain' are connected, cannot be separated and affect each-other rather badly.

Last edited:

Jynx

to a musician, or to a guitar player, it has to be with your ears and your brain, otherwise it otherwise irrelevant/useless.The liveliness of an instrument can be measured sonically by listening to the amplitude, or the ' briskness' of the notes as they come out of either the guitar body, or the amp. The sustain can be measured by listening to how much depth there is to the note timewise from left to right. this ' liveliness' and ' sustain' are connected, cannot be separated and affect each-other rather badly.
That sounds like rubbish to me. How long a note is held before fading to nothing is surely measurable in a quantitative way.

jynx, shall I try now to address it? You've moved the goalpost but hey, who cares? measuring things in a quantitative way ain't gonna help some kid play stairway to heaven, or evaluate how good a prospective guitar purchase is, so wtf would you bother with some kind of laboratory equipment/ lol or stopwatch?? Look at the forum your're in lol, happy now?

Jynx

I'm not sure how your 'ears and brain' are gonna measure sustain when the sound dies below human range and the string is still miving imperceptibly.

I'll wait for someone serious to answer.

Has anyone here realized a grand piano, ANY grand piano - sustains longer than a baby grand piano, and that a baby grand piano, ANY baby grand piano sustains longer than an upright piano, and that ANY upright piano sustains longer than a half-sized upright? Why does anyone suppose that is? Any key players sniffing about the joint today?

Jynx

if it's below the range of humAN hearing WHO CARES?
You might as well ask why anyone cares about accuracy and measuring anything.

If we only cared about the ranges we can hear in we'd never know bats made sound, invent dog whistles, and probably wouldn't discover sonar or echolocation.

If sustain has a duration it is measurable in seconds and microseconds. If it makes a sound it's measurable in decibels. If it has a frequency it's measurable in hertz. And if we the tools to measure these which operate independantly of subjective opinion in a reliable way we can measure it objectively.

Oh yeah, I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
Oh please, say to me
You'll let me be your man
And please, say to me
You'll let me hold your hand
Now let me hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand