Do I have to spend $200 on a Reverb Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Suarkttam, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Suarkttam

Suarkttam Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The more I read, and the more I listen to demos, it seems as though in order to get into a really amazing reverb pedal, with control and sticky wet depth (ie, Dr. Scientist Reverberator ($225), Strymon Blue Sky ($299), EHX Cathedral ($220), Neunaber Stereo WET ($230) ) I have to spend over $200.

Is that right? Or am I missing some models in the $149 range (ie, the TC Hall of Fame) that will do.

Please advise.

Thank you so much for the input.

2. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

You don't need to spend that much. What do you want in your reverb. It's all in what you want. What sounds do you need? I am very happy with my RVB Boost from Tech 21. It's simple and sounds awesome. I don't use shimmer and don't have over powering reverb sounds. It's more of a hint of reverb to create a bit of ambiance. That's it.

Total spent = $100 used.

3. bilbal

bilbal Member

Get yourself a Boss RV-5, set it to the modulate mode, put the tone dial below 9:00 o'clock and call it good. I run mine in the effects loop of my Mad Professor MP101 and it's killer. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck

4. pete100199

pete100199 Member

I had the Wet and prefer the HOF myself.

5. fred_

fred_ Supporting Member

Well.... it *kind of* depends on what you want your reverb to do... Spring? Plate? small room-like? Large hall? Do you want it to shimmer for you? Wash over you like a great ambient tide?

Myself, not into bunches of spring ( my amps provide that when i DO want it), but really like the ambient stuff, and i have a WET (fantastic) and await a HoF...

One opinion of many...

6. mlt1214

mlt1214 Member

I like the Wet's distinctive modulation at really deep settings and have yet to hear another pedal that can do it as well. A lot of times you'll see the mono version on here for $150-170 or so.

That being said, the HOF is pretty damn good if you're looking to spend less and don't need reverb *as* extreme as the wet or bluesky offer. The Hall and Church settings sound really nice and have quite a bit of decay- 20 seconds or so when using the latter. Nice to have a little bit of control over the pre-delay, and the tone knob works pretty well. A somewhat major drawback in my mind is its lack of mix control, though.

Don't overlook the Verbzilla either. Cave and Hall can get pretty deep.

7. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

+1 verbzilla. Less than a hundred used

8. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

I honestly cannot believe there could be anything better than a 99.00 Hermida Reverb pedal. I had one and sold it when i got a Fender amp with onboard reverb, but ended up buying another because it is such a sweet sounding pedal.. one knob simplicity too. Get one and be done!

9. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Malekko makes a great verb.

10. mdclark58

mdclark58 Member

Somewhere between salvation and redemption.
  11. Madsen

Madsen Member

This!
    Lots of great cheap pedals out there if you just want a touch of generic verb.
    But if you want something more specific you hit the $200+ tier.

12. Suarkttam

Just able to return to the thread. I cannot thank you all enough for all the new leads on reverbs.

13. Suarkttam

With that said, I am looking to get into some of the Ambient stuff, wishing I could go into something like an Eventide Space. Feeling like the WET might get me into that realm. Yet the HOF gives me more options, and the tone prints seem interesting.

We shall see...

14. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Your goal should not be just about spending money. The space is nice but has its own set of problems. Check into them before you believe you need something.

15. Suarkttam

I couldn't agree more. Which is why I posed the question. For the moment I have no intention of spending $500 on a reverb. I just don't want to limit my possibilities, and totally appreciate all the input.

16. Suarkttam

Was going to ask if anyone had any experience with the Chicklet.

17. nape

nape Member

I like the EHX Holy Grail Nano. I use hall at about 2 o' clock. My personal ambient settings are largely relient on delay, which is a DD20. I feel like reverb in itself is limited for ambient work, but that's just my opinion.

18. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

If you are looking at getting into some ambient sounds, I would recommend the EQD Dispatch Master. $185ish, new.

You get a nice and huge-sounding reverb with digital delay. You can use either by itself. The delay side is actually quite nice sounding as well!

19. Toe

Toe Member

I have (mono) Wet and the HoF on my board. While I love the Wet's very unique ambient sound at high settings, the HoF is so much, much more versatile and sounds great. If I could only have one reverb I'd go for a HoF, even disregarding the price. It also does great Ambience, check big room and room with a view toneprints.

I also owned Bluesky and Space. The Bluesky was nice, but not nice enough for the price point and the power requirements. The Space killed my tone, I couldn't live with it (and I'm normally not picky about buffers and dry signal conversion).

20. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Member

In order to get a really amazing anything pedal, you'll have to shell out some money... Or make one yourself... Or steal one...