1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a 4x12" guitar cab in my home studio?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Berlin Chris, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I am in the middle of putting together a nice homerecording studio in the backroom of my office. New computer, new software, new small recording booth etc.
    For the first time I will also have the opportunity to record guitar amps at decent level though I will most probably have some issues with the neighbours. Read: reasonable noise level is a must!! I already own a 2x12" open back combo but I am thinking of adding a closed back cab for some variation and some nice direct "oomph".
    So, will a well made 1x12" ( Bogner, Suhr) be enough for my purpose or does it have to be a big bulky and loud 4x12"? Are we talking nuances or is the difference really big?

Thanks
    Christof

2. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

In my expreience, the smaller cabs will help with cut down the boominees in the low end, thus leaving more room for the bass. Big cabs seem to muddy things up a bit more. Case in point... I just recorded a band with a dimed Crate 4x12 cab and my orange AD-30 combo. The combo worked much better. I could go on and on about how it sounded, but it's all subjective. At very least, you could rent a big cab and test it out for yourself before you make the purchase.

3. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Albums recorded with small open back combo's - Supro's, Fender tweed champs, etc - low wattage and one 8 or 10 inch speaker -

Led Zeppellin I
    Led Zeppellin II
    Layla (Derek and the Dominos)

Peter Frampton used a blackface fender Champ (8 inch speaker)
    for his leads in the Studio.

4. bobtone

bobtone Member

There are several different ways to approach this home studio thing as a guitarist and an engineer.
    You can use low wattage amps, My fave, or bigger amps with a hotplate set to dummy load send it into a cab emulator then into your source.
    I do this with THD Flexi 50 >hotplate>ADA MicroCab>TDM1000 mixer>m-Audio 2496 card>Sonar.
    You can also do this with a preamp>cab emulator.

I hope this gives you some good ideas.

5. matte

matte Senior Member

My solution:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. mccreadyisgod

mccreadyisgod Member

I'd vote for a well-built 1x12 cab with a good speaker. Or even get a few... A sealed Mesa Boogie with a Black Shadow, an open-backed Avatar with a Jensen P12R, and a Bogner (or similar) cab with a Celestion 30. The Celestion Vintage 30 is probably the best to get if you only have one... and if you only get one, get a convertable cab, one you can have sealed or open-backed. A single 12" in an enclosed cabinet will have all the benefits of a big 4x12" cabinet, but none of the boomy, muddy characteristics, and a convertable cab will give you the open-backed option.

To add to Gerry's list: Keith Richards used a Fender Twin with tweed or blackface Fender Champ slaves for almost everything he's ever done. The Champ is 6 watts thru an 8" speaker. I currently utilize a BF Vibro Champ (same circuit as the Champ with tube tremolo added) for much of my recording, and it sounds as big as a Deluxe or Twin when recorded right. And with a newer Weber alnico, I can crank that thing and get some really nice grit, or leave it low as a stereo slave to another amp. I also own a Fender MusicMaster Bass amp, originally built as a bass practice amp, but I have a Weber California ceramic speaker in it, and it kicks as a guitar amp. I refer to it as a baby Mesa...

7. bobtone

bobtone Member

Hey Matte,.
    Nice Amps, I dont see an attenuator, I guess thats because you run the line out to the bathroom cab.
    Is that a selector for the different amps to use that cab?
    How do you like the VHT ?

8. matte

matte Senior Member

No attenuator these days. No amp selector(outside of manual speaker cable swapping). LOVE the UL. Best 3 channel amp I've ever owned/operated.

This covers my EL 34 needs.
    [​IMG]

9. matte

matte Senior Member

No, it's a tube holder for quick preamp tube swapping.
    [​IMG]

10. bobtone

bobtone Member

I see you have a few pre amp tubes.
    I use a Flexi 50 but have never swaped out the pre amp tubes yet.
    What are your Favorites ?

11. matte

matte Senior Member

Bugle boys, Telefunkens, 5751s, Philips, Brimars, NOS Chinese 12AXs, RCAs, etc.

12. Neill

Neill Member

[​IMG]

wow... looks like a nice place to spend too much time.

is that floor knotted pine or...?

13. covert

covert Member

Well, I don't know if you do, but I don't Then again I decided that good combo amps were the best compromise all around.

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

Matte,

What kind of studio monitors are you running?

Thanks,
    DV

15. drezdin

drezdin Member

Yet another question for Matte.

Do you have any problems with computer noise with the computer so close. I've changed the fan and power supply in mine and it's still noisy.

16. matte

matte Senior Member

None whatsoever. My G5 is just about silent.

17. matte

matte Senior Member

18. Blueser

Blueser Member

Thanks. I have a pair of 824's as well. I really like them, although I am a relative noob when it comes to recording. They get a pretty bad rap over at gearslutz.com, but there are a number of pros using them (yourself as an example), so they can't be all that bad.

When it comes to high end snobbery, that place makes this board pale in comparison. If it isn't the absolute top tier stuff, they absolutely kill it! LOL!!

I figger, if I likem' then that's good nuff'!

Thanks again,
    B

19. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Yeah, I'm so impressed by that.

"A great engineer will get you through a session with mediocre gear better than great gear will get you through a session with a mediocre engineer." – M. N. Eddin