Do I need a buffer? Mostly have True Bypass Pedals

Scarface

Silver Supporting Member
Greetings,

I am sure this has been asked many times but I'm contemplating a buffer and just looking for opinions on if I need one. I am getting ready to re-wire my board with new cable and want to add any missing components beforehand. I have good amount of pedals and they are all true bypass expect for 1 - my Maxon OD808.

Here is my signal path through my board.

Xotic Wah (TB)
TC Polytone 2 (TB)
Maxon OD808 (buffered)
Mad Professor Simble (TB)
Xotic AC Boost (TB)
Xotic EP Booster (TB)
Fulltone DejaVibe 2 (TB)
Eventide H9 Max (TB)
Digitech Polara Reverb (TB)

Does the Maxon cover me or should I get an exclusive buffer?

thanks!

Blue-moon

Gold Supporting Member
Plug straight in to your amp...if it sounds more alive/brighter than through your board (with all your pedals bypassed), then yes. If not, then you don't need a buffer.

Or, if you prefer the sound of your signal going through the board, even if it sounds a little duller than plugged straight into your amp, then no.

I like to have a buffer in my small board. I love what it does to my tone. Others don't and prefer a less brighter tone.

Last edited:

MoonshineMan

Plug straight in to your amp...if it sounds more alive/brighter than through your board (with all your pedals bypassed), then yes. If not, then you don't need a buffer.

Or, if you prefer the sound of your signal going through the board, even if it sounds a little duller than plugged straight into your amp, then no.

I like to have a buffer in my small board. I love what it does to my tone. Others don't and prefer a less brighter toe.
/thread

CarlGuitarist

I like to have a buffer in my small board. I love what it does to my tone. Others don't and prefer a less brighter toe.
10/10 post

stinkfoot

What Blue-Moon said. Chances are the OD808 (which is fully buffered) will be just fine for an early chain buffer, while the H9 or Polara (of which you're almost inevitably going to have one on at any given time) will buffer the output. The only case for a permanent buffer would be if you notice a (large enough) difference in top end from the vibe depending on if either the H9 or Polara is on, compared to if both are off. But in that case, I think you could just set the H9 to buffered/tails mode, and you'd be fine.

Jeronimo

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks guys, I have a somewhat similar FX chain with an OD808, seems to work just fine. Just after the OD808 I have an EHX EVH phase 90 which is not true bypass. I do not notice any tone suck that some people seem to have. Must be because of the buffer in the OD809?

Trending Topics