Do I need a Clean Boost or an Overdrive?

maddnotez

At some point I know I just need to buy a clean boost to compare but I think I may have made the wrong choice on a recent OD purchase.

I am using a VHT Ultralead and play metal so this would be for an always on pedal for rythym tone.

The amp is new to me so I am still playing around and unsure of which channel I will be using but I think I may need a clean boost instead of the Overdrive and was hoping for some opinions.

I like the tone from my amp but It needs a bit more hair if you will, just a little more edge.

If I turn the gain up any more on my amp it does not sound as good. It is plenty tight but I feel need just a bit more oomph or maybe more gain.

I have the Maxon 808X and I like it, it sounds good but may be a bit too much? I wish I still had my regular 808 to compare but I do not.

I have also considered the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster (not sure what catergory that falls under)

But now I am thinking clean boost. I have never had one and something tells me I need one. I do not really need to tighten up the amp, just a bit more edge or gain or push the amp to that next level without coloration.

What do you guys think? Let me know if you are not following or have any questions I know I have a hard time explaining things.

jordane93

Maybe youwant a dirty boost like an EQD Speaker Cranker, TC Electronic Spark Boost or MXR Micro Amp +

maddnotez

OD

and the new X for me not sound like a tube screamer pedal, the regular is the best.
Yes, I was afraid of that. I might actually sell the 808X and rebuy the 808 or something else. Sadly I just missed the Maxon sale. $99 for a new 808.

Maybe youwant a dirty boost like an EQD Speaker Cranker, TC Electronic Spark Boost or MXR Micro Amp +
I really like what I see from the TC Electronic Spark Boost. Loving all those options in one pedal. If I did want to add some gain or play with the settings is it transparent or will color my tone on any setting?

srmd22

Of course you do, you need AT LEAST one. I would start with either an EP booster or a Keeley Katana. The EP adds a subtle color / presence which is loved by many on TGP, and the Katana is pure clean boost, with a pullout knob to add a bit of very subtle fatness and earlier break up. I have and love both.

There are about a thousand other good ones too.

However, now that we have decided on what you need, the truth is you don't really need anything else, the Maxon will fullfill the function beautifully, as trillions of guitar players using TS-type pedals as a booster will attest to. Just turn down the gain, and turn up the volume on the pedal. But you need some more, anyway, because this is TGP.

maddnotez

Of course you do, you need AT LEAST one. I would start with either an EP booster or a Keeley Katana. The EP adds a subtle color / presence which is loved by many on TGP, and the Katana is pure clean boost, with a pullout knob to add a bit of very subtle fatness and earlier break up. I have and love both.

There are about a thousand other good ones too.

However, now that we have decided on what you need, the truth is you don't really need anything else, the Maxon will fullfill the function beautifully, as trillions of guitar players using TS-type pedals as a booster will attest to. Just turn down the gain, and turn up the volume on the pedal. But you need some more, anyway, because this is TGP.
:rotflmao

This one kind of lost me. I have not decided on what I need and have heard both OD and clean boost as a recommendation.

I know I need both OD and a Clean boost realistically but I can not afford both right now so I am trying to decide on which.

I guess I should just stick with the OD for now. I might sell the 808X and pick up the regular 808 and then get a clean boost when I can.

I just figured if everyone voted clean boost by a landslide I would have sold the 808x and buy the clean boost instead of the regular 808.

cardinal

Clean boost gives more of everything. Definitely more "hair" IMHO but it can make the bass a bit over bearing (unlike an OD that sorta high-passes some of the low end).

Jess 1971

Silver Supporting Member
I like having a clean boost on my board, but if it came down to it and I could only have one or the other, I would definitely get myself a nice overdrive pedal. Not saying that's what you should do, but I just think that a good overdrive pedal is an indispensable part of any rock guitar player's rig.

IbanezRokr

I'd try an EQ pedal. Shape it how you want to, and then let it's levels boost your amp. That's a killer amp with a ton of gain, so you shouldn't need to add more to it, maybe just shape what it's giving you.

maddnotez

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

I actually was offered to borrow someones DS-1 with clean boost mod so now I get to at least try some kind of a clean boost in person!!!! Pretty awesome for someone to do that.

Anyhow that will definitely help me get the answer I need. I also think I am going to sell my Maxon 808X and purchase the regular 808 in case anyone wants one.

cardinal

Definitely try to find a regular 808 or at least some other Maxon pedals. I had an OD9Pro+ for a while and really did not like it. I assumed that if I didn't like that, I wouldn't like the "inferior' OD9 or the similar 808, but I got a real cheap 808 and was blown away by how much I liked it.

BadMonkey007

Definitely try to find a regular 808 or at least some other Maxon pedals. I had an OD9Pro+ for a while and really did not like it. I assumed that if I didn't like that, I wouldn't like the "inferior' OD9 or the similar 808, but I got a real cheap 808 and was blown away by how much I liked it.
OD9Pro+ = klon

Multicellular

I know I'm not probably in the majority on this one, but i dont see the point of a clean boost when so many overdrives can act as clean boosts with the gain turneddown.

Trending Topics