Do I need a compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by porsch8, Feb 17, 2008.

1. porsch8

porsch8 Member

Never really used one.....Dont think i would need one. What do ya'll think?

2. trushack

trushack Member

Yup, I think you need one. Two, in fact. I'd buy two compressors right now if I were you.

3. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I bought one in January but couldn't work out how to best use it. May drop it on the emporium soon.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Its nice to have for clean and also nice if you need a little more sustain for low gain playing when you can't crank your tube amp. I have a barber Tone Press.

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No, you shouldn't get one then.
    When you find something lacking, and a compressor would fit the bill, then you should get one. If things are fine now, then why change anything?

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Amen, brother... :D

7. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I was in the same boat. I bought a Barber Tone Press just to try and I love it. It takes a bit of high end harshness off a Strat as well as adding some volume and body. I have used it a little less with humbuckers, but I like the smooth/even response it gives my Duncan 59's.

Try one. If you don't like it, sell it.

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

As I understand the question, he's admitting he's never tried one and asking whether he's missing something. Is it really so strange to you that someone would admit he doesn't know it all and invite suggestions? ;)

I'm with voytski and supergenius. There are tons of uses for compressors and they're a huge part, for better or worse (some do feel worse) of the tones you hear all the time on your CDs and radio. If you've never seriously experimented with one before, it might be worth your while to do it for that reason alone.

What I like about compressors is the way they smooth out the very high "biting" end of some guitars (like Teles on the bridge PUPs) and add fullness and sustain. I'll admit it: I like it loud! But I've already destroyed enough of my hearing. A compressor can give me the psychoacoustical feeling of much more punch at way lower volumes.

And, of course, it's almost essential for slide.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

My answer still holds true, even if somewhat glib because the original poster didn't include any information. Ask a spartan question, I have nothing to work with, and give the obvious answer. If he said that he'd like to make the volume between the notch and neck positions more equal, would like clean notes to pop more off the fretboard, etc. etc., then we'd have a party. But...

1) No idea what style of music he plays
    2) No idea what guitars he's using
    3) No idea what amp he's got
    4) No idea if he's playing in or out
    5) No idea if there's anything tonally he's unhappy with

Yet, y'all jump on board and start recommending one, and go so far as to suggest brands right off the bat, which is kind of ludicrous, don't you think?

For all I know, he's playing stoner rock with a Les Paul through an Orange Tiny Terror. No compressor needed.

10. Oddos

Oddos Member

I hardly ever use a compessor, but there`s always one n my bag, just in case.

It can be nice to have if generally have to keep your amp on a lower setting than you find comfortable.

11. Jon Silberman

Glib is cool. ;) :BEER

And I would add that even without knowing any of these things:

I would still advise a guitarist who has never in his life owned and played through a compressor to spend a few bucks on one to learn about them. And no, you can't learn by reading posts like you can by actually doing it. :dude

P.S. to OP: Here's a fine little unit with tons of capabilities. $75 new, cheaper used. I bought this one for myself years ago when I was in the same position you are now, found a myriad of uses for it over the years, and actually bought and quickly sold a many times more expensive Barber Tone Press last month because it was no better for my own needs. The direct switch is extra cool, it blends back the original signal so you can both get the compression/sustain and preserve your initial picking dynamics.

[​IMG]

12. eru

eru Member

I never thought I'd use one, but I have found a place for it that I like.

I'm running guitar -> pedal board (very small atm) -> small class a tube amp -> load box -> EQ -> Compressor -> decent solid state amp w/ reverb.

It works well for tube tone at bedroom levels, feels like a tube amp, and the difference between my clean tone and overdrive tone is solely with the volume knob on the guitar. And, because of the compressor, they're at fairly similar volumes.

As far as using it as an effect, I'm not a fan. You can use it to clean up levels of clean chording, but you could also just learn how to control your picking...which may be easier said than done.

13. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Not all criticism is unfriendly as many would believe, and I don't feel that mine was unfriendly at all. In fact, for the original poster in particular, it could be quite constructive. And how exactly was his question "friendly"? It was simply a question.

14. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Three is a charm, I'm told.

15. Jon Silberman

Ben, FWIW, I believe your points are helpful to the OP in thinking through whether to go forward at this time with trying one. Suggesting to someone who's curious about a piece of gear to consider determining his needs first/whipping out the credit card second is fair. :BEER

16. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Agreed, it's also fair also to suggest that he try one out!
    I just wish there was more info as to what he was trying to accomplish or perhaps what he thought a compressor may do for him.
    :BEER

17. Jon Silberman

Great, we're back to being a big happy family again. :eek:

:D

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Yea, the Manson Family. ;)