Do I need a Fulldrive 2, or will an OCD/Zendrive work?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by VoxRocker, Feb 17, 2009.

1. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

Hey guys,

I play a PRS/Strat with 3 singles through a Vox AC15TBX. I absolutely love the 15 as compared to the 30s I've played because of the smaller size but same huge tone.

I've recorded with AC30s in the past using a fulldrive 2 as the main "low-medium drive" overdrive. I play P&W stuff (you surprised? FD2->ac30s :banana) The tone was super middy but managed to keep from getting *muddy*. I can't recall if the FD2 I used was mosfet or not--although I think it wasn't.

I've recently moved and was rebuilding a pedal board. I use a BBB'07 for Rangemaster type tones on my PRS and Fuzzface tones on my strat, and I use a RAT for high gain marshallesque tones with my PRS. I am needing a low drive od (tried the tim, didn't like it for the middy thump). I'm debating on going back to the tried-and-true FD2 or trying the OCD. I'm also debating picking back up a Zendrive after selling mine reluctantly to pay for AR state income taxes. I'm happily back in TEXAS now. :RoCkIn

So here's my Qs:

BBB -> OCD, FD2, OR Zendrive? I would prefer something that plays well with singles and humbuckers.

Thanks for any advice.

VR

2. Axekisser

Axekisser Member

Well I do P&W also and just traded for a FD2 (1998) and put it on my second board. Works very nice into my Fenders. I know that many P&W guitariss use the FD 2 in Voxes so I'm sure it will be great.

3. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

Let me add that I'm a happy rhythm player... Working full-time in IT, full-time pre-med student, and part-time EMT means not a lot of time for guitar practice. I'm wanting something that can chord well and not get mushed together. For those rare occasions when a line needs more "umph", it'd be nice to have a low/med od that I can slap with my BBB07 for a searing lead tone.

To FD2 or not to FD2, that's the question!

4. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

i've had all 3 and i swear i could kill myself when i think of how i got rid of my ocd. i was playing a strat and a prs at that time through a vplex 50.

5. Gary F.

Gary F. Member

Voxrocker--

You sure you tweaked the Tim(my) properly? I'd think it's the least mid-rangey of the pedals you mentioned. My timmy sounds great out of my AC-15HW reissue...Good luck in your search, whatever you decide...

Gary

6. somedude

somedude Member

I like the OCD better for rhythm. More punch, less compression. It also stacks nicely with a more compressed pedal in front of it for leads.

7. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

So I'm guessing you liked it eh? :dude

8. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

Gary: I messed with it for about a week before I decided to sell it. I guess I was harsh in saying I "didn't like it" but I could only get certain sounds out of it that just wasn't what I was looking for. Strat -> Tim -> Vox gave me some killer Kevin Devine - Me and My Friends tone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUt2Ax-YRJw --electric tone) but I can get that easily with my BBB'07.

somedude: Ever hit it with something like a rangemaster in front? Think it'll get "bigger" or just kind of fizz out?

Thanks again!

9. somedude

somedude Member

Never tried it, but I will. I'll report back later tonight.

10. somedude

somedude Member

Tried it. It sounds like rock and roll. No other way to describe it really. It just... is.

I actually like it better than my FB-2 -> OCD setup.

11. dksouthpaw

dksouthpaw Member

its interesting that the tim seemed more middy thump that the FD2. I got rid of my FD for the timmy.

FD had a bit of smoother/warmth to it. But the note clarity with the timmy and the tone controls make it perfect.

look into the NOC3 stuff, with the Firefly you get a small foot print and price ($100) used. and the option to cut the mid out or not or just a little bit.

12. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

Personally, I play a frenzel Hotbox Wildcat 30 and I love my zendrive 2. This may be heresy, but I was never a fan of the FD2. with a vox style amp, some of the settings on the zen get too middy, but I found the sweetest sweet spot with it of any of the aforementioned pedals, and I actually have tried them all. That frenzel is quite voxy. (NFB loop defeated of course)I don't know, I am a big fan of the hermida audio stuff.

Is your PRS an EG? I have one too and love it.

13. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

somedude: I'll contact Mr. Fuller and see if can you get the commission for the OCD I'm going to purchase. Thanks for trying it out and letting me know!

dksouthpaw: Sorry if I was confusing, but the FD had more of a mid hump where as the TIM just seemed rough, brash, and a little brittle. Not to down the TIM as it's very popular here on the TGP, but it did NOT work with my amp, my guitar, my ears, etc. The FD however, in front of my vox, has a super middy "growl" that was nice. I was mainly wondering if I could get a nice low-medium od without the FD and with something like an OCD. I'll look at the NOC3 stuff; thanks for the heads-up!

calebwebb: I too love the Hermida Audio stuff. I had the zendrive for a while but like I said, had to sell it b/c of tax time. Whenever I would lend my amp for recording sessions, the zendrive went with it! It's definitely something I'm going to pick up later.

My PRS is a 2003 Singlecut. I'm not sure what you mean my "EG" but it's a wonderful guitar. I got it for high school graduation. :D

14. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

You mentioned prs/strat. I guess you meant two separate guitars. I own a PRS EG-3 which is a PRS with 3 singlecoils in a config like a strat. Hence, I took it as one guitar. There are not too many PRS EG owners out there...

15. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The FD2 and OCD are VERY different sounding pedals IMO, and if you liked the FD2 it's very possible you won't dig the OCD.

I've been using the FD2 for about 9 years and I really like it a lot. Very versatile. I like the midrange it brings to the table especially in the FM mode. I bought the OCD and I couldn't bond with it at all. No mids, and too ratty sounding to my ears no matter how I set it.

Obviously YMMV, but I find that players who love the FD2 to be just "so so" with the OCD, and players that love the OCD are usually not that thrilled with the FD2.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  16. somedude

somedude Member

The EG was a cool guitar. I wish they didn't discontinue it.

17. tbone666

tbone666 Supporting Member

true.

18. somedude

somedude Member

I'll agree with that.

I liked the FD2, but I was never totally thrilled with it. I really like the OCD however. I think it has to do with the midrange voicing as the FD2 tends to push the upper mids alot whereas the OCD seems to push a little bit lower.

That said... I really didn't like the OCD v3. Way too much bass and kinda lacking in the mids (maybe due to the overabunance of bottom?). The v4 on the other hand I think is awesome.

19. acwild

acwild Member

20. VoxRocker

VoxRocker Member

That's interesting... so the OCD is more of a Rat type pedal? I couldn't see that from the pgs demos but I've got my trusty Rat "Vintage" RI (thank God it didn't sell in the emporium when I had it listed!) My "80s"/"Marshall"esque tones are covered with the rat. Darn these decisions. :( At least neither of the fulltone pedals are uber expensive so it couldn't hurt to try both! :dude

I guess my bottom line is I like my amp. The voxy cleans are there but the overdrive is to die for. Maybe I'm just needing a "clean booster" to press the front end a little harder. Sigh...:confused::crazy