Do I need a fuzz?

dawgtired

Alright... this is what I have.

PRS CE24 > Boss TU2 > Barber Tonepress > Barber LTD > Rivera Jake Combo with a voodoo lab trem > 2 Boss dd6s in the loop.

I am quite satisfied with the gain options I have. Clean from the Jake; low gain from the LTD; classic medium overdrive from the Jake; and and nice lead sound with the boost on the overdrive channel of the Jake.

I don't know.... something is telling me I "need" a fuzz. I have to admit... I tried the Visual Sound angry fuzz and hated it... it was *way* to noisy. I play in the worship band at church doing everything from hillsong united/modern worship stuff to black gospel to jazz instrumentals to the occasional wedding gig from time to time.

So convince me that I need a fuzz and then tell me what you suggest....

:munch

pacomc79

I'm not convinced you need one. Now, for diversity purposes sometimes it's nice for a different flavor.

Barber Trifecta... yeah you need one. Diversity, Flexibility, Fun.

Flying Panda

Of course you need a fuzz! At least, I know I need a fuzz. I play some of the same stuff you do, so I know you need a lot of versatility, and a good fuzz gives you that...not just Jimi or Billy Corgan. Especially with a Fuzz Face type pedal, you can roll off the guitar's volume knob to get everthing from warm, edge-of-breakup tones to medium gain OD to absolute fuzzy deliciousness. I use a Baja Tech Das Fuzz Ge, but other highly regarded fuzzes around here are the MJM London, Addrock Geranium, Analogman Sunface and the ZVex Fuzz Factory. The Sunface is probably the most 'classic' sounding, and the ZVex can get wierd, but still has great range. Get a Fuzz!

stuey222

With what you're playing I' m not convinced you need a fuzz, but they are fun to mess with and you can get some good tones out of them. Noise comes with fuzz, so if you're really against even slight noise, you wouldn't like a fuzz.

I don't know your playing and what you think is the perfect tone, but if you like a really nice, smooth sound, fuzz probably isn't for you. Fuzz is buzzy and grindy, even though some fuzzes can get pretty smooth, it's not going to be as smooth as an overdrive.

dawgtired

I'm not convinced you need one. Now, for diversity purposes sometimes it's nice for a different flavor.

Barber Trifecta... yeah you need one. Diversity, Flexibility, Fun.

I'm intrigued with the Trifecta.... where would you put it in my chain? Before the comp? After?

soopajeanmi

Not sure you need a fuzz at all. Fuzz is nasty, hairy, noisy and just pure pleasure at high volumes. I don't see that useful in a worship band.

TheFlash

Silver Supporting Member
Not sure you need a fuzz at all. Fuzz is nasty, hairy, noisy and just pure pleasure at high volumes. I don't see that useful in a worship band.

He did say that he played some Hillsong United and other modern worship stuff. Those bands do use fuzz on some of their songs.

To the OP...I don't think you NEED a fuzz, but it does seem that your curiosity is going to increase until you've tried it. You seem to like the Barber pedals, so try a trifecta and see how you like it. I'm sure you wouldn't lose much cash if you don't use it enough and decide to sell it. I'm in the same boat as you musically and I picked up an addrock geranium and really like it a lot.

dawgtired

He did say that he played some Hillsong United and other modern worship stuff. Those bands do use fuzz on some of their songs.

To the OP...I don't think you NEED a fuzz, but it does seem that your curiosity is going to increase until you've tried it. You seem to like the Barber pedals, so try a trifecta and see how you like it. I'm sure you wouldn't lose much cash if you don't use it enough and decide to sell it. I'm in the same boat as you musically and I picked up an addrock geranium and really like it a lot.

Well, I do really like Barber pedals... so I must say I am leaning toward buying the trifecta. Where in your chain do you run your fuzz?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom