• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Do I Need a King of Tone?

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
I realize no one can answer this question but me, but I would like some opinions anyway:

My current gain pedal collection consists of:
Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe
TS9 Silver mod
Barber LTD silver
Timmy

My rig is a Clapton Strat into either an old Mesa Boogie or a 65 Amps Soho, usually the Soho.

I would like to replace some or all of the low gain pedals with the KOT. Can it do this? What would I be losing out on tonewise? What does it bring to the table that these pedals don't?

My main issues are:

1. I don't love the amount of compression from the tube screamer or the lack of volume boost available, although the mid boost can be useful with a six piece band.

2. I like but don't love the gain from the LTD or the Timmy above noon. They both excel at low gain and there is a fair amount of overlap between them.

3. I like but don't love the way the play together. Timmy + LTD not great; TS9 plus Timmy pretty good.

So I guess my expectations are that it will have good organic low gain sound, more volume boost available, and a more useable amount of higher gain (relative to the other pedals, I realize it is not "high gain").

I know at one point both Luther and Rich from the Crowes had the KOT on their boards and I love both of their live tones. This raised my interest level, and the Youtube clips are good.

I also have not bought a pedal since I believe 2012, so it is not like I am a dirt glutton or impossible to please. I have taken over a year with all three low gain pedals on my board trying to decide what should stay and what should go and this is where I am at currently.

Thoughts please.

Jet Age Eric

Given you don't like your current dirt, it'll work. One side is low gain, the other somewhat higher gain? I'd get high gain on at least one side (it's not really high gain) and run both sides in boost mode. -E

jdel77

Bluesbreakers to me sound like punchier and more muscular Tubescreamers. So I believe a KoT would overlap with your low gain mid heavy drives. It's really a case of trying it and finding out what works well for you.
I will say that Strats sounds excellent with these low gain mid pushed dirtboxes particularly for leads. And the Timmy does a great EQ/boost job as well as a flat mids drive.
Paul C. invented the Timmy to push his Plexi into higher drive, with his Strat.

Lewguitar

No.

The KoT sounds good but it's to complicated, IMO. To many knobs and to hard to tweak onstage.

When I got my first Piedmont AF1 Klon Klone, I sold my KoT and immediately bought a second AF1.

Couldn't be happier with that decision.

Jet Age Eric

I agree it's hard to tweak on stage, but I don't know why you'd have to. (Dialing it in IS a PITA: Turn tone DOWN to get the low end you want, then use the internal trim pot to dial in top end). -E

No.

The KoT sounds good but it's to complicated, IMO. To many knobs and to hard to tweak onstage.

When I got my first Piedmont AF1 Klon Klone, I sold my KoT and immediately bought a second AF1.

Couldn't be happier with that decision.

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
Given you don't like your current dirt, it'll work.
To be fair, I actually do like them all quite a bit with the gain at noon or below. I am just seeking to improve on what I see are a few shortcomings among them as a collective.

No.

:huh it has no more knobs than any of the other two pedals combined.

Billy Idle

Just get a Lovepedal OD11. Killer and cheap and it stacks greatly whatever position on your pedal board. A very under-estimated pedal.

I run a Silver TS9 into a Keeley Blues Driver with the phat mode on. I keep the TS9 as transparent as possible and use the BD as my main source of dirt. I play through a 12,000 series Metro Superlead on a fairly clean setting. I find I get TONS of gain and tone from the BD as a distortion/overdrive box.

I also use a SM Fuzz for a more compressed/hairy OD but if I use it less fequently then I do the the TS9/BD combo.

jrockbridge

I think you should try replacing the TS9 Silver mod with a Soul Food/JHS mod, Arc Klone v2 or KTR and try replacing the Barber LTD silver with a KOT. Then, I think you'd be happier with your rig. I think this would give you the ability to cover the same tonal ground you enjoy now with less compression plus give you some added tonal versatility.

I'm not dissing the TS9 or LTD. Those are solid pedals for what they do. However, the TS9 is always going to be highly compressed which does NOT feel or sound transparent and the LTD can't do everything a KOT can.

TexasTeleMan

KOT is my favorite for low gain. Especially since it responds very well to your guitar's volume knob. I use the yellow side in OD mode and and set the red side to boost into it when I want it a bit fatter with a touch more gain. Like with most OD pedals, once you dial it in you probably will not tweak settings all that often. Very flexible pedal that stacks well. Definitely worth a shot! It may not be exactly what you want but I doubt you'd hate it.

Fro68

Silver Supporting Member
Bluesbreakers to me sound like punchier and more muscular Tubescreamers. So I believe a KoT would overlap with your low gain mid heavy drives. It's really a case of trying it and finding out what works well for you.
I will say that Strats sounds excellent with these low gain mid pushed dirtboxes particularly for leads. And the Timmy does a great EQ/boost job as well as a flat mids drive.
Paul C. invented the Timmy to push his Plexi into higher drive, with his Strat.

:agree

jsboswell

Silver Supporting Member
If I had to get rid of every dirt pedal I own save for one, I would keep the KOT.

porticoguitar1

Silver Supporting Member
I've had all those, or variants thereof.
Simply, yes! Do it. Heck, at least get on the wait list, try in, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for a bit more than you paid.
I use a Mesa LSS (1x12 combo w/ Alnico Gold) and a TA-15 the same way. The KoTv.4 makes them shine and scream, yellow and red respectively. I love mine. Had one, sold it, regretted it, bought a ton of other crap I didn't like as much, and then bought another.
Timmy is awesome, yes. KoT can do Timmy stuff in spades (IMO).
I feel that, overall, the KoT does what other pedals do, but does it with a finesse that the others seem to lack. Obviously, other opinions are here, and are quite valid.
Long story short, get it. You'll like it.

Dharmajester

While were on the KOT, I used one for a year, loved the tone but ultimately it seemed to shed a bit of bottom end. Anyone else find this, or was it related to my rig?

JRC4558Dude

While were on the KOT, I used one for a year, loved the tone but ultimately it seemed to shed a bit of bottom end. Anyone else find this, or was it related to my rig?
It's not just you. It definitely lops off some lows. I find my Fulldrive preserves the lows better.

Not a deal breaker for me though. The KOT is pretty cool. I could be misremembering, but I believe the Prince of Tone addresses the low end issue.

vanguard

The kot is like my little companion. It's super versatile, likes all my guitars and amps, and just sounds good. It somehow sounds transparent and flavorful at the same time.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom