Do I Need a King of Tone?

Gtrmike54

I wanted that Robben Ford overdriven-a-little-bit-but-not-distorted fat singing solo tone, and that's exactly what I got. I have an extensively modified 15 watt Egnater Tweaker that I set on the clean setting with just a little hair, and mostly run through the yellow channel also set with a little hair. It's very articulate, which is important, (I do a lot of Blackmore-esque hammer-ons and pull-offs) sustain for days, massive low end. I can't tell you how much of what comes from where, as I have not tried dozens of ODs like some of you all.

When I want overdrive, I usually use the red channel by itself, with the drive turned all the way up. NOTE:If I remember correctly, Analog Mike offers a higher-gain mod that he recommends highly. I would recommend it too. He said it gives you about three notches more OD, which I wish it had. Remember, this is NOT a high gain pedal, as we know them. That term is relative here. I researched extensively on the net before I bought this pedal, and it seems that those that complain about too little gain don't understand how to use a pedal like this, or are used to "hiding" behind high gain with sloppy technique. I'm a pretty decent player, and was trying to get away from gain to get more articulation, and less mud. When I want a solo boost, I use both the red and yellow sides together. Also, I changed the internal dip switch from OD to Distortion, and I wish I had gotten the gain mod. That said, it sounds great for Zep, ZZ Top, Hendrix, Deep Purple, and so on.

Like a lot of guys, it took some time for me to figure this pedal out, but miraculously, I've got exactly what I want. I can't tell you how happy I am, as I need a certain kind of feel to play well. This has dogged me through dozens and dozens of amps. I know the Tweaker is a modest amp, but I'm playing smaller rooms, and I can run the power tubes hot. Other than the two Bogners I had, I have never had a rig that inspires me every time I play it. Sometimes I play for hours and hours, doing stuff I didn't know I could do.

I got on the waiting list just for the heck of it, expecting an 18 month wait. I was shocked to get an email in about 8 months, telling me it was ready. He's a great guy to do business with, and I just quit trying and shopping ODs.

I didn't mean to make this a dissertation, but this is a complex OD, and there's a lot to know to get the most out of it. I recommend it highly. Feel free to message me with questions.

Best-
Mike

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks for the responses. I got on the waiting list a while ago and am at the top so just trying to make the final decision. I am going to give it a go. I think the Skreddy, KOT and maybe keeping the Timmy on board would cover every conceivable gain need I have.

alamere

It's at least worth a try I think... it's certainly one of the great overdrives that exists on the market today.

I think the choice between that, an 808 or Fulldrive type pedal, or a Klon type really just depends on personal preference. The clipping types are different in all of them..

Over all of them, I tend to prefer the bluesy clipping type of the TS/Fulldrive pedals but just as many people prefer the Klon thing and I like having both at times. The bluesbreaker/KOT thing is different than these two but I seriously think the choice between the 3 just depends on a persons hands and what works and sounds best... everybody's different

some like more mids, some like scooped.. some like more compression, some like less...

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
I got my KOT yesterday. It is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I am amazed by its range--sounds great at low gain, medium crunch and the high gain red side dimed in overdrive mode sounds absolutely killer through the Soho. Pretty much covers almost all my needs. Plenty of volume. Perfect with my rig.

You rock Mike.

newb3fan

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting - b/c I was going to say no you don't need it. I thought I needed one and waited the 1 1/2 years - got it - and flipped it quickly. Just wasn't doing anything for my tone. I may not have learned to use it properly; don't know. t have a Timmy on my board and absolutely love it. YMMV as we say ad nauseum.:aok

Empros

Probably the best OD I've played thus far. However, I had no use for an OD so I couldn't justify keeping a pedal around that was worth so much. I think it's definitely worth the price AM is charging for them.

ondadl

When I want a solo boost, I use both the red and yellow sides together. Also, I changed the internal dip switch from OD to Distortion, and I wish I had gotten the gain mod.
So, you have clean/yellow and red/distortion, with the red side all the way up?

I'm trying to figure out my best use for my KOT, as I also have a Timmy and TS.

Trending Topics