Do I need a volume pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by demea26, Jun 1, 2015.

1. demea26

demea26 Member

I used to use one years ago when I used to use amps with FX loops as a MV, but recently my last three amps have been single channel amps with no FX loops.

My Ernie Ball VP is long gone and I've never used a volume pedal in the front of the amp. Was wondering if I could benefit from picking one up again.

I play rock covers through a 59 Bassman RI/pedals with a Les Paul and regularly ride my guitars volume to clean things up.

Thanks!

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

3. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

go with the dunlop it is solid and no tone loss...it works great

4. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

Question is, how have you lived without one? Now hacking away in your bedroom? No. you do not "need" one

Re: band sound and Guitar - in a band context or solo performance

Bass and drums in back, guitar/keys in the middle, vocals out front

As a lead guitarist, I am cognizant of what is going on in the song, first and foremost. I can creep in and out of the "middle ground and front" based on what the song needs. A volume pedal is wonderful for this.

Ernie Ball MVP, yo...

5. demea26

demea26 Member

At first I re-read my post and was like "WTF. I thought I asked my questions pretty clearly??". Then it hit me. I was like "Oh...duh" lol

6. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

There you go. To be honest, i could only see use for a volume pedal in the front end if you prefer to use your foot or don't like using the guitar volume, but if you're already doing that, can't really see the point. :dunno

7. demea26

demea26 Member

Well, that how I used it previously...for leads and songs that needed a bit more 'energy'. Then I got into the habit of using an EQ in the loop with a slight mid hump vs the volume pedal for leads and traded the VP. Maybe I'll try to find one cheap on CL.

8. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I use the volume knob on my guitar to control overdrive. Set to 4 or 5 for clean, and peg it for leads (or vice versa if needed). This use of guitar volume and a volume pedal, and you can do everything at a gig.

9. jordane93

jordane93 Member

I use one because I have a small pinky and can't reach the knobs. It's all about preference. So my answer to your question is maybe.

10. MikeMountain

MikeMountain Member

I use a Morley Volume Plus, but if I didn't need one I wouldn't use a volume pedal at all. Less unnecessary pedals in the chain the better. Volume pedals are great for ambient swells, otherwise not really needed.

11. shinksma

shinksma Member

I gig without one - I use my guitar's volume knob to control relative volume and amount of dirt if I'm in a dirt mode. But I have used one - I just found I wasn't using it much, so I took it out to simplify.

At home I use three. :omg

I play using a piezo+mag pickup guitar. when I gig, I use the combo output, but at home, where I have the luxury, I use the split outputs and separate amps. I use one for my acoustic sound prior to the acoustic pedal board, and two for my mag pickup sound - one for before the electric pedal board to substitute for my guitar volume knob and one after the front-of-amp loop (delays in the amp effects loop) to modulate volume to amp and allow delay swells.

But I'm odd that way.

if you don't use it now, you probably don't need it unless you want to expand your technique.

12. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own two ( Goodrich lowboy and the Dunlop)
    I like to use my volume pedal for swells ( like a pedal steel guitar)
    Its a must for me.

13. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I've used one for years and use it before any other pedals, so essentially, it's like my guitar volume pot other than it's buffered. Many guys put a volume pedal after their OD pedal(s), which makes sense, since you can then ride you guitar volume pot, which will clean up or use the volume pedal, which won't. I've just been doing it the other way so long that I'm too use to it to switch.