Do I need Alnico's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by whowasthursday, Jul 28, 2006.

1. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

This is not really an, "Are they worth the money" question, more of a... "Are they worth the money in my specific situation" question. :rolleyes:

I'm buying a used VoxAC30CC, with the standard Wharfedales.

I believe the hype about alnico's, but I really only want to use my amp for cleans, and rely on stompboxes for dirt. I use a lot of delay. I'm also want to keep my rig simple, and I'm not sure if I want to be tied to the effects loop on the amp.

So, if I were running delays into the front of the amp, first of all is 30 watts too low a speaker rating? Are the speakers going to get too muddy with the delay?
    And second of all, if I'm not going to be running the amp flat-out all that much, are alnico speaker magnets really as much of an issue?

2. lazaruslong

lazaruslong Member

If your speaking of the Blues, you can be assured power handling will be NO issue in your AC30. Although keep in mind the 'rated' power of blues is 15watts, not 30.

I think they sound wounderful with delay, not muddy at all.

3. bscepter

bscepter Member

Speaking with experience, I can honestly say that the Celestion Blue is the world's greatest guitar speaker, hands-down. The only downside is their power handling, which limits them for use in lower-powered amps. But if you've heard a cranked AC30, you know that low-power doesn't mean quiet.

I play through them all the time. They're loud, articulate and well balanced. Plus, they look cool. Do yourself a favor and pick some up from Dave at Avatar speakers and save some dough.

BTW, if you're worried about power handling, Celestion is about to release the alnico Gold speaker, which is rated at 50w and is supposed to sound as good as the Blues. We'll see... but if it's even close, it'll be great.

4. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

loud and clean: celestion century neo

5. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

Well, to clarify, I don't see myself having the money to spend on a celestion anytime soon. I was thinking more about the difference between Weber Blue Dog Alnico's and Blue Dog Ceramics.

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

FWIW...The Blue dog ceramics have a fuller tone with more bottom, but the alnicos' have a sweeter top end with less fullness and bottom...1 of each is ideal.,..

7. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

Do most agree about ceramic having a more full tone (more low-mids and lows)? I like the sound of that...

Maybe I'll go with one Red Fang and one Weber Ceramic Blue?

Now the question is, when I'm at a gig, which speaker do I choose to mic?
    I guess obviously, whichever complements/counteracts the characteristics of the pa and mix.

The more practical question is, to I want 8 ohm or 16 ohm speakers for an AC30CC?

Thanks everybody.

8. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

the weber alnico blues are a nice alternative, but nothing beats 2 blues with the CC!!!!

9. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

I have a Zbest cab I run with my Maz Jr. v30 and an H30, great combo with lots of Low end thump. I run a Celestion Blue 1x12 cab now as well. Sounds nothing like the Z best, but thats a good thing. The Alnico tone is very special, and while it may not work in all aplications, there is nothing like it.
    fwiiw, I had to weber 30w Blue dogs in a Hayseed 30, and I loved them. Great amp and great speakers, but VERY VERY loud!!!!!!

10. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

+1

I heard 2 of those in an XY pattern with 2 blues and the cab sounded amazing.

11. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

bump...

any more opinions on the above?