Do I need an MFC101?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Gasp100, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Using the Rocktron midimate right now and only going through 4 patches for electric gigs and 2 patches for acoustic. BUT, I'm finding that I need to have more access to more IA's or to really dig into scenes to be quicker on my feet. I also need a more seem less way to bank up/down and to engage looping.
    Finally, I really need tuning on the floor (even if it's not perfect).
    I don't mind naming patches and tweaking the Midimate but I think the above would be helpful.
    That being said, the MFC ain't cheap.
    I really like the idea of a single CAT5 cable for use. IS the version 1 good enough? I guess using a stronger cable type might make more sense though (stronger?).
    I have the II version II.
    Discuss.

2. TFC

TFC Member

I've been using the MFC-101 version one for a couple of years now. No issues at all. I've used the CAT-5 cable 95% of the time, but have also used a 7-pin MIDI cable with phantom power. Both have worked fine and require only one cable from the AxeFx to the foot switch. It's definitely a couple of steps up from the midimate and you'll enjoy the extra features/convenience for sure.

Used v.1 & v.2 MFCs are not as bad as they used to be. I generally see them for about $500, sometimes less, which is $100 less than I paid for mine used a couple of years ago, and I thought I got a decent deal at the time.

If you do decide to get one, feel free to get in touch, as I may be letting mine go.

3. Gasp100

BUMP... thinking about this again. I have a second project coming online and while I love the size/weight of the MidiMate I'm going to be doing some looping (and jumping back and forth between looping / IA) as well as scene usage.
    So, the MFC should come with a power supply as well? And I could house that in my rack so I could use EITHER CAT5 or 7 pin cable?
    I'm browsing for MFC101 v. 1's...

4. gurumonkey

gurumonkey Member

you need at least 3 of them.

5. wcfields

wcfields Member

I bought a used MFC MK1 last year for pretty cheap. It works great for me. I have no issues using a regular CAT5 cable as the connection. And the "noise" of the switches doesn't bother me at all.....

6. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Gasp, if You want to sell your MidiMate, let me know!

I need a midi pedal to go with my Amplifire I'm receiving tomorrow.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have owned and (extensively) used the MFC-101 in Mark 1, 2 and 3 generations.

Given what you now need, the MFC is one stop shopping for everything your are asking and it's tight integration with the AFXII is unbeatable.

As for Mark 1 (midi or CAT5); Mark 2 (midi, CAT5 or Ethercon) or Mark 3 (midi, CAT5, Ethercon or FASLink (via any XLR cable) *plus* the quieter proprietary Fractal switches (that really are excellent) --- any and all of them will do the job.

You should also look at the LiquidFoot, RJM stuff and there are other high end boxes. Of all the high end stuff that isn't Fractal for the AFXII, the RJM Mastermind has bedeviled me since it dropped. I cannot justify that expense personally, but MAN would that thing be too freaking cool and though you can obviously program the MFC to run any of your gear, you can likewise with the RJM. And the lighted scribble strips on the RJM... genious.

8. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Maybe not pertinent to your decision, but I use the MFC-101 as a MIDI controller without an AxeFX. I've had tons of MIDI controllers (including the MIDI Mate years ago) and the MFC-101 is one of the best large format controllers I've ever used. They don't really market it as such and it went over my head as even an option for general purpose use for a long time.

I'd love to check out the RJM and LiquidFoot. I've read the docs. They are real contenders as well. But for now, the MFC for it's price is all I practically need. (And my system is not simple).

9. TFC

TFC Member

As much as I'd like to sell you my MFC, I can also recommend looking at Liquid Foot. I recently picked up a LF+ Mini. It is smaller and lighter than the Midimate. However, it can do pretty much anything the MFC can do, even though it only has 8 buttons. It's not quite as simple as the MFC, but once you grasp how it works it's no big deal. The free editor is pretty cool too.

Like you, I recently started with a second project, so I'm going to be lugging gear back and forth a lot more now. Because of this, I was looking for a smaller, more portable rehearsal/backup rig, which led me to the LF+ Mini.

The MFC is excellent, though, just like everyone says. You really can't go wrong with either, given your requirements. [EDIT - After re-reading your OP, it sounds like you might need something with more buttons than the LF+ Mini. Maybe look at the LF+ 12 instead.]

10. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

The Liquid Foot stuff blows away the MFC if you need to control more than one thing and if you are into advanced midi functions. I have been using a LF+ JR+ for a couple years and really like it. I wanted something smaller than the MFC and find the JR+ to be the perfect size for me.

As far as integration with the AxeII, it does everything you need quite well - tuner display, patch name display, remote power through 7-pin midi cable, etc... You can set up multiple pages and assign a button to scroll through the pages. Each page has it's own set of functions for the buttons. I use two pages - one for presets and one for IA switches. So after changing presets I have to click a button to get to my IA switches, and then click the same button to go back to the presets page. I had another page setup with looper functions but am not using it. Using multiple pages removes the limitation of having a smaller controller with less buttons at the expense of some additional tap-dancing. You can also program multiple functions for a switch, steps as you press the switch repeatedly, etc... way too many features.

However, it's not intuitive to configure and it seems like every FW update solves some problems and introduced new problems... I guess the last few updates have been better, but I have not updated for a while.

For easy setup and easy integration with the AxeII, you can't beat the MFC.

11. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Not that I've tried the LiquidFoot yet and doubt its own power, but can you describe something practical that you are doing with the LiquidFoot that can't be done on the MFC in MIDI mode? I'm curious what I may be missing. Are you talking about the ability of the switches to be completely redefined, labeled and colored per "page"? Or something more?

Between Program Changes and CC (IA and Internal), the MFC can send something like 80 commands on all 16 channels with a single preset, and then have manual control over 17 independent (albeit globally defined) controllers. I can even program several commands into the MFC using HEX if I was feeling masochistic. I wouldn't call it a simplistic MIDI controller, though it can be used as one without a deep dive. In terms of flexibility, it strikes a good balance between globally defined attributes and locally defined control.

Maybe you are talking about the MFC used in AxeFX mode? You can go behind that and use it in MIDI mode for greater control, but people with AxeFX don't really do that. I stand by saying that the MFC is a powerful and flexible controller in MIDI mode. (I wouldn't know about AxeFX mode frankly, just MIDI)

Not an argument, I'm just really curious. I know I'm the one bringing up its non-AxeFX usage, but AxeFX users aren't restricted to AxeFX mode, are they? (that, I don't know). Seems like learning to leverage the MIDI power of the MFC with the AxeFx would be like learning to use a LiquidFoot or MasterMind.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Just to answer your question; no, you are not.

13. Gasp100

Is this possible?
    MFC -> AxeFX II via CAT5 for patch changes / IA's / looping AND... MIDI OUT of II into audio/midi interface (in my case Focusrite Scarlett) for triggering backing tracks using Ableton Live? :)
    It would be AWESOME to be able to START backing tracks / clicks with a dedicated switch on the MFC while at the same time using the rest of the MFC for strictly II control.

14. reilly

reilly Member

I Have a MFC-101 and it works great, I have owned quite a few midi boards over the years. One of the things that I liked best about the MFC is how easy it integrated with the AxeFX. Literally up in running in a few minutes. Sure you can use other midi boards but the simplicity of getting things to work properly was well worth the price for me.

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

You could look at one of of RJM music's offerings for something with a smaller footprint if that matters. May be just what you need.

16. brokenvail

brokenvail Supporting Member

pretty sure it can