Do I need another OD on my board?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mick_Braun, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Mick_Braun

Mick_Braun Silver Supporting Member

I know, I know, this has to be the dumbest question ever. Of course, this being TGP, the answer is a resounding yes. But hear me out ...

This is a board I'm building now (for a live project):

Suhr Iso-Boost > Polytune > MP FGC > Jetdrive > Hartman Flanger > EB VP Jr. > RRR (rotary setting) > Deville Dark Echo > Nova Repeater

I'm using the Suhr primarily for the buffer, but I'm playing a Strat for this project, so I find myself using the boost function as well. The FGC is new and I really like the "sustain" mode. I figured the Jetdrive's 2 sides (separate and combined) could give me all the OD tones I need, but I can't help being drawn to putting a low-gainer right after it.

Thoughts? I like what I've read about the Helium and the Solid Gold FX Nitro. And of course there's the Timmy. Any other suggestions?

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've used a Jetdrive for years now and have a Gold Standard as well. I actually have my Jetdrive on the emporium but I'm about to pull it off. What I found really adds something to that pedal is either a fuzz (currently using a Mini Bone, it also liked a Lunar Module) or a fat boost - the EP booster in front of the Jetdrive pushed it nicely as does a VFE Alpha dog (which can get pretty fat). But you're probably getting a pretty similar effect out of your FGC.

The Helium is really nice, but it's not HUGELY different than the blue side of the Jetdrive. I just sold my Red 2 and putting then side to side, they are very much in the same universe in my rig. The gold shift stands out as pretty different - more mids, gets pretty compressed sounding with some settings, can get kind of edgy in a good way. There are probably too many options running the Jetdrive and Gold standard together.

3. Hecube

Hecube Senior Member

Where's the Klon?

4. Mick_Braun

That's on my other board!

5. Mick_Braun

Thanks! I've never played a Helium but I figured there may be some overlap. I'll continue to experiment.