Do I need ear plugs?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alejandro, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Alejandro

Alejandro Supporting Member

I always avoided ears plugs because I want to hear all frequencies alla natural and I think it is a matter of comfort too.
    Now..this past saturday we played in two places, pretty heavy stuff...about 20 song in each place, from CCR to Purple, to ac/dc
    After the show some high frequency remained in my head, like a whistle and then I felt dizzy and the headache was huge. No drinks or substances at all
    Do you think this was a direct cause of high volume or just a casual bad day. I mean, never happened to me this kind of situation and I use to play almost every weekends since 1990 :(

Edit: I think I post in the wrong forum. Should it be in the Lounge?. Sorry

2. thebot

thebot Member

Had you eaten properly that day? Sounds very much like low blood sugar to me.

3. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

If I gigged regularly at high volumes I'd invest in some of those custom molded ones that still allow you to ear all the frequencies just at a lower volume. I know they can get very expensive but as a music lover and player there is literally no price you can put on your hearing.

4. gls500

gls500 Supporting Member

Not expensive at all:

http://www.westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

I have the Westone ES49, and they're perfect.

If we're spending hundreds of dollars on stompboxes, we can spend $175 to protect our ears.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Please...don't even ask. Just get the best you can afford. I can't tell you the agony of tinnitus. If you don't have it yet, do the earplugs. Get used to them. Don't give up because of feeling too "removed" from the music. There is just no way, when you get tinnitus, there is no way to stop it. You can't sit in silence anymore...ever. Not for a minute. You can ignore if for periods, but it is always there. You hear it, you get claustrophobic because it is like a constant thing you cannot get away from.

It really is not worth the risk. Another thing, it changes your frequency range, so you can't hear as well (or as long) with headphones,

It is just not worth the risk!

Once you get it, it's too late.

6. rabbit

rabbit Member

+1000

believe me, I have tinnitus... I´ve been playing with plugs for about 5 years now, every gig and every rehearsal. Now, I can´t stand playing without them. You will get used to it. Get them and also wear them whenever you are surrounded by loud noises (disco, airplanes, guns and all that stuff...:) )

7. Memorex

Memorex Member

I'm 56 years old. I don't play out anymore, but I used. I also used to engineer live shows. I have tinnitus all the time at a low level even after 10 years of no exposure to loud music. If you hear any ringing in your ears after a gig, GET EAR PLUGS!

8. kaseri

kaseri Member

I have been using the es49 earplugs for years & they are the best thing I have ever bought.

9. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I got some custom ear plugs made the same time I got my Ultimate Ears monitors made. I use them when I'm not using the monitors. Sure the sound is a bit weird at first, but you get used to them. I have 9db, 15db and 25db inserts. I usually use the 9db inserts, just right unless you're really blasting.

The headache/dizzy feelings are from the volume, I've had that before. Your sense of balance gets bombarded by the volume and it makes you feel weird.

10. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

My dentist told me I only have to brush those teeth that I want to keep. I'd use this cleverism to say you only have to protect those ears that you want to keep working properly. More shows without plugs with most certainly be cause for more bad days.

11. Alejandro

Yes I eat before the show, light but I eat and drink enough coke, thebot

WOOW the tinnitus seems to be a heavy thing!. :eek:
    So, when you get this sh#@...then you hear a constant internal frequency?
    Gosh!

Many thanks pals, I am going to get some decents ears plugs ASAP.
    If you are trying to scared me, you got it! :(

12. Lammy

Lammy Member

YES. Hearing loss doesnt ever come back...

13. Alejandro

14. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Believe what others are saying here. Tinnitus is hell. Never goes away, and is really brutal at bed time, when it's the only sound you hear. What you're describing, is exactly how it starts. AC

15. m4tt

m4tt Member

I never knew what that high pitched noise was in my ears ALL THE TIME. I guess Tinnitus is the answer.

Sucks, I'm only 20.

16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Relax. By the time you're my age (50), medical technology will probably have yielded a fix of some sort. As for the present, they're still not even in agreement about the root of the noise. Until then, take the advice of so many here. Use ear plugs. AC

17. Kahlou

Kahlou Member

I agree with the other comments. I'm used to feeling amplified music in my chest, but I was at a Disturbed concert last month that was so loud I felt it in my femurs. It was even painfully loud on the breaks between bands when they only had "background" music playing. But with custom ear plugs in the whole thing was quite pleasant and I could hear everything fine. And when the concert was over I could take out the plugs and converse in normal tones. Well, everyone else in my crew was deafened for a while, so not quite normal tones. But at least I got out of there without feeling like I'd been mugged.

I got my plugs online at the Ear Plug Super Store (http://earplugstore.com) and their customer service was great. They can send you a kit to make the molds yourself, but I'd say just go to an audiologist. It costs only about $25 to get the molds this way (really only $10 more because you get $15 off the plugs by not ordering the mold kit), and it's actually kind of fun to have this cold goop injected into your ears, or maybe I'm easily amused. For the ten minutes that the molds are setting up you'll experience drastic hearing loss and you can use that time to contemplate what it would be like if it were permanent. Also if you do this at an audiologist you can get your hearing tested at the same time. These guys make their money selling hearing aids, so you can probably find one that doesn't charge much for testing and molds.

I got the regular mega-blocking custom plugs, although for more money you can get the musicians' plugs with replaceable filters that allow you to choose the amount of noise reduction and do better at not blocking high frequencies. For my needs, the occasional loud concert or use on trains, planes, and in coffee shops, this didn't matter. Probably someone who plays out or goes to concerts with more harmonic subtlety than Disturbed or Slipknot will want the musicians' plugs.

And yeah, I floss every day.

18. wooldl

wooldl Member

Have any of you tried to wear a plug in only one ear?

The reason I ask is that I sometimes have ringing in my left ear (cymbals from a loud-ass drummer) but never in my right ear. Just curious if this might cause some equilibrium issues of its own.

Dale

19. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

I have a pair of eymotic er-20 I believe. They were around $15, not bad for ear protection and they really work. I would invest in some of those or if you have enough money and want to get custom fitted ones.

We practice in a little basement and get really loud and one day my right ear seemed clogged up. I don't think it was from the sound, but it really worried me because as the rest said you only have 2 ears and once the sound is lost its not coming back. So, I went to the doctor and the she looked in my ear and everything looked normal and she said there was a hair stuck in my ear that might be causing the problem so they washed out my ear and boy did that make me dizzy. The vestibulochoclear nerve is probably what made you dizzy too. Anyways, definitely pickup a set of earplugs.

The next time I am back in my hometown I am having a family friend who is an ear nose and throat doctor hook me up with a pair of Westones. Definitely worth the money!