Do I need tap tempo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jaxonmills, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member

I've never owned a delay pedal, and I'm not exactly sure why I need one, but I'm probably going to buy one. I don't need the U2 rhythmic delay sounds, just ambient, spacious sounds for lead (more of an enhancement than an effect). I'd like to spend less than $200.

Do I need tap tempo for this application? What do I forego by choosing a delay without tap tempo? Keep in mind that I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I want a delay that is easy to use, and sound quality is more important to me than features (an abundance of delay types). For tap tempo delays, the Akai Headrush looks really cool, especially with is looping feature. I'm also looking at the DLS Echotap. If I choose strictly analog delay, my search is easier as they all seem to work pretty much the same.

The T Rex Replica looks like the perfect delay for me, but I can't afford it right now. The Headrush is definitely the frontrunner ($199, looks easy to use, has everything I might need, nothing I don't). I'd also consider the Boss pedals (DD-6/7) if the tap tempo is easy to use.

So,
    1) Should I buy a delay with tap tempo?
    2) What pedal do you recommend?

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I recommend that you keep an eye out for a used Danelectro PB+J. Don't let the plastic casing fool you, its a great sounding delay. I found one used recently for $20. It is digital, but has that classic analog delay sound. It also has a slapback setting, which I don't really use, but it does sound very decent for rockabilly tunes. If you are worried about the plastic (I haven't had any issues), you can rehouse it, or just use it in a true bypass loop. Or don't stomp on it, keep it on top of the amp and be gentle with it. I don't think you need tap tempo.

dk

3. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member

4. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

the thing I like about tap tempo is that if your delay is (round about) in sync (however, quarter notes, eighth notes etc) with the song you're playing , it's a lot more subtle. It helps your wet sound blend into the mix a lot better, as a reverb would help doing, but retains that clarity (that a reverb, imo, doesn't).

i've really found that it helps to have a little bit of delay in sync with the song help you mold into the mix but not get lost, that's what i really use the tap for.

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

If you just want delay to simply fill in your sound, then simply put: no, you do not need a tap tempo. You can get a simple analog delay that is dark enough so that whatever speed you set the repeats at won't matter. I personally like tap tempo because I do a lot of U2-esque delays and having those in sync with the drummer is important to not throw me or the drummer off. But based on the details you have, I would say it's not necessary.

That said, check out the Freakshow Digilog. Very nice and different kind of analog delay. I believe it's slightly under $200 used.

6. Headlow

Headlow Member

My only experience with any of the Boss DD delay models was with the DD5 years ago. It had tap tempo via another pedal and was very hard to use. Recently though I've had both an Akai Headrush and an RE-20. The tap tempo on both these pedal is great. Easy to get the tempo set at the start of the song, and easy to edit during it.
    One negative thing I noticed with the Headrush was that if you changed tempo during the song the delays would stop until the pedal reconfigured itself. That's not a problem the RE-20 has though.

7. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I agree. Tap tempo is not needed for your application but if you do get it you might have some fun with it and find an application for it.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 to the above. You do not need tap tempo.

I'll chime in with my first delay pedal was a DD-20, and I have learnt a LOT about delay since I got it almost 3 years ago. I never found it hard to use and situations have come up (though not often) where tap tempo is key. I'm not saying you'll want to use delay as an effect eventually, but that possibility is always there. Keep in mind that if that situation does arise, you always have the opportunity to get a new pedal then!

For your app, as mentioned, you do not need tap tempo. You'll probably want an analog/tape delay, or a good simulator. Bang for your buck, you cannot beat the Ibanez DE-7. Its echo mode (it's a sim of either an analog or tape delay) is consistently receiving high praise. Don't be fooled by its "ha, it's a toy" design.

Another delay to look into (if you want a bit of complexity at a reasonable price) is the Boss DD-7. Has a great analog simulator (I love the analog sim on my DD-20, and many say the one on the DD-7 is superior). If you want tap tempo, it has it and you can experiment easily with it.

Of course, the RE-20 is another great buy. They don't call it "space echo" for nothing.

In boutique world, I believe the Jacques Prisoner is under $200 (at least used). Excellent little pedal, true analog delay with about 300 ms. For your apps, that is more than plenty. Also has modulation.
    [​IMG]

As you are looking for atmosphere, I think you'd be happiest with the RE-20 and all the nifty things it can do and sound like (find one used). I think it's hard to find a better atmosphere inducing delay in a simplified format like this

[​IMG]

9. iggs

iggs Member

I had the Memory Lane and bought it (among other reasons) for the tap tempo thinking I can't do without ... ended up never using it at all.

For Tremolo on the other hand, I have to have tap tempo.

10. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

I used to be addicted to tap tempo... I found that if I leave tempo alone it can sound quite musical with tremolo or analog delay. If it's a digital delay I'll use tap tempo just because the repeats are so pronounced.

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Buy an Echo Park from Line 6. Tap is built in, does subdivides for instant U2 and is very affordable.

12. Whamosi

Whamosi Member

I'm finding that I just don't use the tap tempo, and I can use the space it takes up so I'm swapping out my EchoTap for a Carbon copy. The EchoTap is a great delay, just don't need all the features..

13. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

+1 for the "You don't need tap tempo" crowd.

14. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Wow, I'm surprised so many players don't use or recommend tap tempo....for me, a delay would be almost unusable without it, adding what amounts to noise and mud to my solos. Only fast slapback type delays would be usable without it for me. I rarely use delay unless soloing, so maybe it's just my style and method of use that puts me in this camp, but delay becomes much less intrusive when it's in tempo with the song and really eliminates the need for reverb or other ambient effects.

Obviously, YMMV! :)

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

After getting used to a Tap Tempo, I MUCH prefer having one. Just makes the live sound (of the whole band) clearer without having all the clashes. Having the delay in time makes everything sound better to me.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I totally agree. Delay is my fav effect, and I am a tapping fool. However, if I were going to get a set it and leave it alone delay, I would do the MXR Carbon Copy. Nice analog sound for $150 new, and small footprint.

17. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

I think tap tempo is one of those things that once you get used to having it you wouldn't go back to being without it.

I never would have thought I 'needed' tap tempo for tremolo, I always just set it close. However, after picking up an Empress Trem, with tap tempo, I'd never go back.

18. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

This is one of those things that comes down to what kind of music you're playing. I have to say I disagree with the above comment. I started out using delay w/o tap tempo, then switched to using tap tempo. And I went back to not using it. For what I'm playing, it sounds more organic and natural not to be dialed in exactly to the tempo. I'm sure for others, it's the opposite.

19. F0URwordLETTER

F0URwordLETTER Member

go for the echo park, it's got build in tap if you decide to use it.

20. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

I would have a hard time going without tap tempo, but guitarists had delay with no tap for hundreds (ok, 10's) of years and seemed to make it work. I'd recommend either the DD-7 or Echo Park. I would strongly recommend the DD7 over the DD6 - 6 was kind of a dud imo.