Do I need to just break down and get the D13 1X12 cab with a G12H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by randy morser, May 15, 2006.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

So which Weber speaker will be better for darkening a too bright amp. I have a ceramic Sivler Bell 30 on order for my 9/15, though I think my cab (not a d13) is a piece of junk though I don't know enough to be sure (ss cabs from Ebay.) I tried it with the vintage 30 and was totally dissapointed. It was thin and hadno bottom. I put it on top of the Mesa Nomad that has a Black Shadow in it at work to use it' speaker with the 9/15 and it was KILLING. I even did an outside gig using the mesa speaker in the combo slaved to the 9/15 and it was incredible. I tried it through my 64 Deluxe combo hooked up to the vintage 30 in there and it was... OK. Is the G12H going to be the best? I keep hearing about it's huge bass response. That's what I need. BTW all of these scenarios are 1X12s

Randy

2. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Check out Bob Burt or Tonetools

3. randy morser

randy morser Member

I totally need some advice on this one. I just changed my order on the Silver Bell from 30 to 50 watts.

4. r9player

It might have much more to do with your cab and perhaps the speaker isn't broken in yet? I'd check out Tonetools, very nice low end from those.
    My guess is that switching from 30 to 50 Watts on a 9/15 wont give you much advantage .. I personally would pick an Alnico blue (would the Weber blue dog be the equiv?) Why not ask Weber he's very nice from what I understand.

5. mmorse

mmorse Member

Your bass response will be compromised in a small cabinet. Those SS cabs are pretty small. You will get a fuller sound with an open back or a ported cab if it's closed. You will want a larger magnet speaker in a small open backed enclosure as smaller magnet speakers will flub out on the bottom end when pushed.

6. randy morser

randy morser Member

I emailed him and he said that the extra wattage with the bigger magnet would help. It IS a small cab, I know. Would a closed back give better bass response?

7. randy morser

randy morser Member

and would a blue have EVEN LESS bass because of the small magnet and low wattage???

8. r9player

I would go with a ported cab. That is why I recommend tone tools, it is a semi detuned/ported design, it is capable of a load of bass.
    Cas could probably recommend a well matched speaker if you need.
    As far as the blue is concerned, I have one in a combo and it is quite tight and has good bottom. (and I have a 12SA-75HP-60W Scumback in my Tonetools Fatcat 1x12)

9. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Been there done that...this is what I found.

The 9/15 sounds best with a G12H30.

I used The sliver bell and dog, Blue dog, Celestion blue, red fang, tonker, private jack, greenback, heritage greenback,'78 g12h 55hz, vintage 30... I think that there were a few more.

Back to the G12h30 it sounds best with the g12h30.

and yes get freds 1x12. The amp also sounded killer with a CAE cube (g12h30)

Joe

10. mmorse

mmorse Member

No. It will keep a smaller magnet speaker like a greenback from flubbing out but not increase bass. Half a speakers output goes out the back. Closing off the back traps it. So you will need a ported cab if you close the back. The back wave has to get out somewhere.

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

Mastervolume, you did what I was gnoit to end up doing. Thanks for doing it for the rest of us. Fred was right, as usual. Why do I always question everything?

12. randy morser

randy morser Member

what about the hellatone, though? ...

13. randy morser

randy morser Member

Weber makes a version of the G12H as well. Still. Mastervolume couldn't have laid it out any better. After all those speakers...

14. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

Dude!

I forgot the hellatone! That is what I had in my CAE cube. It is a G12h30 and sounded great.

15. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Why don't you try a Heritage G12H in Fred's cab?
    I've tried it in my 2x12 D13 with my 9/15 and it's just amazing!

Ted

16. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

hmmmmm

I thiink that you are on to something there...can't believe I haven't yet.

I guess I just got tired of swapping speakers.

17. randy morser

randy morser Member

another possibility... tell me what you find out. One thing, though. There's no reason to buy the Celestion when the Hellatone is the same speaker with a new label...