Do I need to replace the tubes in my Rambler?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Markster6120, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Markster6120

Markster6120 Member

I just purchased a used Rambler off ebay. I have played them before and love the sound. When I got mine yesterday I noticed a "hum" that I havent heard when playing other ramblers. Then as I played the reverb went out and the volume was up and down. The two power tubes were glowing a blue that fluctuated with the tremolo. I'm hoping that the tubes just need to be replaced. Am I right

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

i would start there..seems like a culprit, especially if you have NO idea how the amp was used/treated by the other owner(s)

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

I would call Carr Support. Their number is on their website. You could try a new set of tubes. I would remove and re-seat all of the tubes. I would also re-seat the reverb cables. Also check that it has the correct fuses in it. I have heard horror stories of people finding aluminum foil in the fuse receptacles, which is probably caused by some wanker not having the correct fuse, or the patience to replace it.

If you are still having a problem, and have a spare set of 6L6's, then swap them in. If you are still having issues, I would take a known good preamp tube, and swap with each of the tubes one at a time to fine the culprit.

I believe the reverb tube in the Rambler is V3, although you can get all of that info on the Carr Website.

4. Markster6120

Markster6120 Member

THanks, the amp is a 2000 model and it is in near mint shape. But it was shipped with the powertubes taken out, so I was just making sure that the symptoms were signs of tubes going bad.

5. Structo

Structo Member

The blue glow is common in 6L6 tubes.
    Probably one of the preamp or reverb tubes went south.

6. AstroStrat89

AstroStrat89 Member

My grandmother drove a Rambler. :D

7. Robertito

Robertito Member

How'd she like the tone?

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I had a low rumble in the 02 Rambler I got here. I replaced the power tubes with new Winged C's from Mike here and the rumble was gone. Amp sounds fine, no problems

9. timmers

timmers Supporting Member

I've had a Rambler for about 2 years. Best amp I've ever owned. One day I turned it on and noticed a sizable difference (down) in overall volume, plus an ugly 'papery' crackle when I dug in on the guitar. Spent $75 on new winged 6L6GC's and it was fixed immediately. Another day a few months later the 'verb stopped working and the tremolo turned extremely shallow, even when cranked. Spent $50 on a new set of preamp tubes, popped them in, and problem solved.

Moral of the story for me is that for ~$100 in tubes over a few years solved all my problems with this otherwise incredibly reliable amp. Even if they don't cure you, having a backup set of tubes around is never a bad idea.

10. xroads

xroads Member

Yep, I had something similar when I bought my used Rambler. Also, in triode mode the amp had a huge noise. Tube change fixed everything.