Do I really need a $3k PRS guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eddie knuckles, Apr 20, 2016.

1. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Member

I am KING of the $500 guitar my entire life. Been playing for 46 years. Is it time to just drop myself in the middle of a high end store and play my nuts off on "nicer" grade instruments? I mean, if I buy a $28K car, I should be able to just buy a $3K-ish guitar, no?

Thank you for my therapy session. How important is guitar/music in my life? Playing, learning, listening and composing is the basis of everything else for me. My day job finances the rest...

Evan_R, lespaultazz, PBGas and 2 others like this.
  2. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

3. padavis

padavis Member

I wouldnt say you need a 3K PRS but I would say a 1500-1700 one is worth having around...

4. AustinIsPresent

AustinIsPresent Member

Get the guitar if you like it and can afford it. Life is short.

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Why spend $3,000 on a run of the mill PRS when you can have my Private Stock for $4,300? :)

6. MrLahey

MrLahey Member

I wpuld say sure.
    I did once. Sold it later on when i realized my $500 guitars got playwd while my collectors piece was a ... Hey look what i got type thing.
    Ymmv and all those other four letter words

T Dizz, peskypesky and eddie knuckles like this.
  7. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

What PRS? There are probably nineteen on Ebay right now for half that.

You could buy two! :idea

8. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

No.

But I sure love my Custom 22's and neither cost me more than $1300 used.

That said, a skilled player will sound great on a Fender Squire and even better after a pickup swap on that Squire.

Still: the music is in you...not the guitar.

9. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider the $ value as an indicator of if you need one.

It sounds like you haven't played one so I would encourage you to do that.

PRS guitars were the first guitars I played that were so well made that there was no distraction caused by the construction. Paul is noted for having said that if a working musician lost his favorite instrument and needed to purchase one to play that night, he wanted the musician to be able to take a PRS off the rack and use it that night without needing to adjust a thing.

I think this excellence is what causes many people to think they are "lifeless" but to me, they are some of the most expressive, alive guitars I've ever had the pleasure to play.

And I've yet to pay anywhere near $3k for one, but that's just me.

10. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I would definitely say maybe or maybe not.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Member

You know the answer to that. If you're looking for permission, you don't need it from us, ask your wife.

Ricardo P, Tom Gross, JB6464 and 6 others like this.
  12. buzzp

buzzp Member

I would never spend 3k on a PRS... I wouldn't spend 1k on a PRS.

Gibson though? Sure.

13. dst03

dst03 Member

My personal take -
    1. There are a lot of amazing guitars for much less than $3,000 out there.
    2. Once you have that guitar, you will find things about other guitars that you like better, or are better for different styles, etc.
    3. You will learn more about your own preferences.
    4. You may even go full circle back to your $500 guitars (or something in between)

So, if you only have one bullet to fire, take your time. I seem to like every guitar I pick up regardless of cost. That's the GAS that powers The Gear Page and guitar industry.

My personal journey for reference. (country, blues, western swing type sound)
    Had my old 1971 LP Custom (too heavy to play out, beautiful condition, sold it).
    Bought 2008 Fender Amer Std strat (almost sold, thought it was too "thin" - now I play 25% of our set list on it-perfect in the mix)
    Bought some G&L ASAT's. Still have them. Like them a lot, but the Suhr below really reduced their playing time.
    Among them an ASAT alnico classic, which I thought would cover tele and strat sounds - I prefer the strat above and Suhr below.
    Bought Suhr Classic Pro T (It's my numberl one)

And then there are the amps. And a couple acoustics. And a Gretsch 5420 to have something like that.

It's hard to be "sure" so keep your powder dry. as long as you can.

eddie knuckles likes this.
  14. memberzonly

memberzonly Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

No.

Seek out a pre-owned Knaggs Kenai (if you don't need a trem) or Severn (if you do).

Thank me later.

great-case.com and Whitecat like this.
  15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

I've gotten really nice PRS, Gibson and Heritage guitars, in the $1200 to $1400 range. Some were used, and some were new, sitting in guitar shops until they were willing to more them, at a discounted price.

16. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

First don't buy any guitar that you are going to stress over. I've had 3k guitars that I was always worried about dinging or the variety of things that could happen.
    I do own many 1.5k guitars including two PRS's and they are far superior to my $500 dollars.

17. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Price should not be the first consideration when thinking about any guitar. What's most important is how does it feel in your hands, how does it sound to you, and will it bring you joy to play it? Play lots of guitars in different price ranges made by different companies, including PRS. You will know which guitar is right for you...then get it.

Woodekg and peskypesky like this.
  18. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Oh man, don't get him thinking Knaggs...he will be ruined if he touches one ;)

Whitecat and great-case.com like this.
  19. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I've never been comfortable owning really high-end guitars. For me, $1,500 is about all I like to spend - not because I don't appreciate the higher end guitars, but because I just know I'll feel guilty forever the first time I ding one.

peskypesky likes this.
  20. dazco

dazco Member

Absolutly not. The vast majority of the major extra $ is made up of fancy useless things and hype both here and by PRS. Waste of $ IMO unless there happens to be a model you want or must have for some reason and can't get a lower $ version of it. I've been playing as long as you but i HAVE had some higher end guitars and generally they are mostly hype and you're paying for what i mentioned but also small things that can be changed cheaply. The only things that ARE usually better are swappable things and/or modable/tweakable things. Maybe a fret level and some pots and pickups etc. I usually spend another couple hundred max ad at that point i get top notch tone and playability w/o having to pay several grand instead of several hundred.

eddie knuckles likes this.