Do I really need a shockmount case for air travel?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by silentrage, Dec 19, 2009.

1. silentrage

silentrage Member

Anyone travel with their amp(s)?
    I'm wondering if shockmount ATA case is necessary, they're about 40% heavier than similarly sized non-shockmount cases, so I'm trying to avoid them if possible. [​IMG]

2. GT100

GT100 Member

While I've never traveled with my amp I can tell you that the airlines have no problem destroying say a standard Fender guitar case (plastic with aluminum trim).

If your amp is a "special one" than I would go the extra mile...

Lloyd

3. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I've never travelled with an amp, but I've spent enough time on air transport to know that you never put anything through baggage that you're attached to at all unless it's very securely packed. Actually, it's not the baggage handlers themselves that are so brutal, although they can be. it's all the automation involved with the materials handling systems in the terminals. Those things are unforgiving and undiscerning. It's mostly skate and tube powered roller conveyor with all kinds of diverters, gap stretchers, stops, branches, etc. By the time a box gets from the bowels of the plane to the baggage claim area, it's seen the equivalent of a couple miles of really bad road. Oddly enough, softsided bags fare better than hardshell cases, but only if the stuff inside the bags is soft, too. That leaves guitars, amps, and other instrumentation out.

4. silentrage

silentrage Member

Thanks guys, so in your opinion what should I do with my amp. Lots of foam and peanuts padding in a paper shipping box? or shockmount rack case?

I was told for some airlines you could request fragile packages to go through the human channel, instead of automated channel, anyone have experience with that?

5. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

Heavy corrugated cardboard containers with foam/peanut packing is fine for a trip or two. After all, that's how they get here from China and make it to the various distribution points. If the manufacturer (who has warranty liability) isn't worried about it, why should you be? But, those boxes have a limited life. If you're going to be moving the amp all the time you probably want a hardshell case with reinforced seams and corners.

6. zachman

zachman Senior Member

I figure if your gear is an investment, then it's worth protecting, and not taking risks with...

http://www.ascase.com/

A&S Introduces airack™…
    Like their customers, A&S Case Company, Inc cares about the environment. A&S has set a goal of bringing to market a full line of case designs that will be built utilizing only renewable and recyclable materials. The first of these products is the A&S airack™. The A&S airack™ is not only the lightest & strongest rack case on the market today; it provides superior protection for rack mountable gear. A&S airack™ has the smallest carbon footprint of any rack case on the market today. With its stronger powder coated galvanized steel frame and other features, airack™ utilizes 98% reusable & recyclable materials, A&S airack™ rates as an environmentally sound product.