Do I really need a Tube Screamer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spiritofeden, Jan 2, 2008.

1. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Currently on my board:

MENATONE FISHFACTORY
    HAO SOLE PRESSURE
    CROWTHER HOT CAKE
    TIMMY
    HERMIDA ZENDRIVE (on the way)
    MOJO HAND CREAM PIE (on the way)

Do I really need a pure Tube Screamer clone? And if the answer is YES may you suggest one?

P.S. I used to have FULLTONE FULLDRIVE 2 and SPARKLE DRIVE, so in case I needed a TS I'd like to try something different...:roll

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
    1. The TS is a dated sound, very choked, fake, stinky, poo
    2. the BLUE Collar in your fish factory is a great TS
    You wanna hear tone? Use your red snapper (no hump) side, and stack your zemndrive before it and/or timmy after it.
    But you knew that.

3. trucks

trucks Member

No, the first channel of the Fishfactory based on the Tube Screamer.

4. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Ok it's dated, I won't argue about this. But I was just interested in covering "that sound area" just in case. I knew that the first channel of the FF was based on the TS, that's why I sold botn Fulldrive and Sparkle Drive (I like FF much more, personal taste). But a lot of pople argued about the lack of a pure TS since the FF, in their opinion, is not "pure". It's a pleasure to hear that I do not need to buy a TS...so I can buy another stomp:drool

5. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    you've already got some nice OD pedals that cover TS territory. i think TS pedals are alright and i've owned several. but, when i use a natural sounding OD like a timmy and then go back to a TS-type pedal i find the sound kind of nasal-y and a little too compressed.

if you really feel you need to buy a TS try an AM-modded or Keeley modded TS for starters. although they sound great in their own right, i bet you'll end up using your current OD pedals instead....

6. XKnight

XKnight Member

There is no doubt in my mind that you need an MJM Blues Devil. You wouldn't have asked the question is you didn't need it.:rotflmao

7. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Doh...:jo

8. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member