Do I really need another delay?

riffy

I have a Line6 Echo Park. I love it.
But, what am I missing out on by NOT having a more modern delay?

Ideas and opinions welcomed!

Probably.

One feature that's becoming a little more common is having an effects loop on the path of the repeats. If you dig weird, that alone is probably enough.

Another is multitap delay.

Last edited:

john l

Silver Supporting Member
I have a bunch for buzz word delays but at the end of the day my favorite ones are all 20+ years old so I say youre not missing out on much lol.
Tweakability is at an all time high but this can be just a bad as it is good for certain personality types. Simulating tape has gotten scary good. Analog dry through on the digi delays is nice.....Those are the big pluses for me.

riffy

That is otay! I am building a real pedal board and I have to have a good delay or maybe two on eet!
I am also adding a harmonizer pedal, think EVH but maybe just a bit less on the levels from the Sammy era. Dug out an old pigtronix philosopher's tone germanium edition. Gotta Bad Monkey, ( my fave TS styled pedal as well as a Revv 3, MXR CMBAOD, MXR SBAD, and a Mythical Overdrive, as well as the ever present Dude.

Yeah, a bit heavy on dirt, but, suicide by overdrive ain't no bad thang...lol

The Echo Park has great delay modes. But that Tonecore series is notorious for the dreaded “tonesuck”.

Other than that, you’re not necessarily “missing out” on anything. Is there anything the Echo Park doesn’t do that you wish you had in your arsenal?

david57strat

Do you need another delay?

Yes - most assuredly. This from a delay and reverb junkie LOL, so take it with a grain of salt.

You owe it to yourself to own at least one stereo delay, reverb, and modulation pedal - and a way to hear that stereo field (obviously).

No - I do not mean taking a y splitter out of the tail end of your mono effects chain and running it into two amps, either. That's just dual mono.

Be forewarned, though - stereo sound is addicting (but glorious). Once you get used to it, it's hard to go back to mono. It's like going back from the large screen high definition and the right surround sound system, to the 12" Black and White tube TV and the little 2-inch speaker. There is no comparison.

Last edited:

david57strat

I'm trying out the JHS Lucky Cat after selling my Strymon DIG. I also have an H9 which has amazing delays. Yes, you need at last two.
And I just bought a DIG, from someone here on the forums LOL.

Were you running the DIG in stereo?

What didn't you like about the DIG, and is the Lucky Cat working out better for you?

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
And I just bought a DIG, from someone here on the forums LOL.

Were you running the DIG in stereo?

What didn't you like about the DIG, and is the Lucky Cat working out better for you?

The DIG is awesome and I was going to use it as an always on ~400ms on the 12bit (for kind of ducking, getting out of the way) and then one big ethereal delay. I bought a Strymon Favorite switch as well.
But, I have the H9 MAX and I'm just so in love with everything it has to offer (and I've barely scratched the surface) that my "ethereal" patch(es) are probably going to be based on the Blackhole algo which is actually Reverb.
I bought a Morningstar MC3 MIDI pedal that is dedicated solely to the H9 and I'm dedicating 2022 to squeezing out every last drop of the H9 I can... I even bought the H9 plugin suite to be able to test in my DAW (and record of course) and export presets into my H9 MAX.
So all of that being said, I still needed an "always on" delay pedal and the lucky cat (in black) popped up for a good used price and has more than enough that I'll ever need for this task.
Hope that helps! But yea, the DIG does at lot and can get some killer ethereal type sounds... there are great vids floating around and a great post even here on TGP with pointers.
(I don't normally go stereo live; I do like to have the option, but not a deal breaker right now)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom