do I really need these things?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by alanfc, Jun 10, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

these aluminum preamp tube covers,
    do I need these ? I think mine are rattling ! I know the amp was designed with them for a reason, just curious.
    thanks

2. pepi

pepi Member

Don't they have springs inside on the tops? They should not rattle if the springs are doing their job. I would leave them on. They are shields and they also act as a heatsink. Maybe you need to stretch out the springs some.

3. Igneous

Igneous Supporting Member

They also reduce microphony. However, they just dont look cool so I take em off too. I put em on for gigs though.-Ig

4. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks
    I've got this mystery rattle that actually sounds just like these aluminum thingies! I'll try them off at practice but keep them with me just in case:)

thanks again

5. drano

drano Member

If you don't want them you can send them to me.:

PO Box 30243
    KC, MO 64112-3243

Thanks,
    -[D]

:dude

6. alanfc

alanfc Member

OK thanks guys

DRANO- sorry , I better keep 'em

7. PaulC

PaulC Member

In alot of amps the high end will come up a good bit without the shields on - you can really hear it in marshalls. Is it good or bad? Not really - just different. You might like them off with a darker set of tubes, and on with a bright set.

PaulC

8. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

I just noticed this with my Harlequin (testing for rattles, so I took 'em off)....and I thought I was going nuts:NUTS ....thanks Paul and thanks to the search page:dude searing highs (in a bad way), so they're back on

So, how does one reduce the rattle from the tube shield? My /13 has a rubber "hat" for each power tube....does anyone know where these can found?

Thanks,

Andy