Do I upgrade the parts in my CIJ Strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1973Marshall, Aug 3, 2008.

1. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I just got a CIJ Strat to replace the 54 RI I sold.

It has this "Tele-like" bark to it, and a sweet brightness. At the same time it lacks some of the bass and fullness I like.

I opened her up and it has unlabeled pups (my others say Fender CS or something on them). It's an early to mid 90s. The pots are pretty small and do NOT say CTS or anything. The bridge has Fender stamped saddles.

I just got a killer deal on Seymour Duncan SSL-1s, and they are sitting here. Should I upgrade the pots and put in the SSL-1's? Should I put the bridge onto the tone control?

2. Donn Rowe

Donn Rowe Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats what I did, Love mine..So I say yes! CTS pots, Tone to bridge, Shur 60's P/U's

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Err..... yeah?

4. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I would. Just be careful not to go too crazy or you'll end up like me - with almost every part of your old CIJ in a box under your bed, a neck or so away from being another complete instrument.

5. loiking

loiking Member

Yeah i think you should, i plan to do so with my CIJ Strat. Probably replace the trem block, CTS pots and maybe some new pickups and tuners

6. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I would say the pickups are a must. Personally I don't think that you'll hear much difference from changing the pots, so I would change them when they need changed. However, if you happen to have some pots lying around then it would obviously be nice to do it all now when the pickguard is off.

7. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

That's my fear. The pups sound pretty good AND they are RWRP because 2 & 4 are dead silent under high gain. I think a mere pot change might be the key, along with jack, switch, etc. As far as the trem I had though of keeping it, and just having the guitar setup by a pro.

I fear gutting the guitar to the point its no longer the same guitar.

8. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Yup. I keep getting flack both here and on TDPRI for the MIJ Tele/MIM Tele pup shootout threads I've posted. Everyone's all "dude that's not a MIJ Tele anymore!" Of course, I really did go nuts, replacing the body, pretty much all of the electronics, the control plate, and the pickguard.