1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Do I Want a Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tapp, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Tapp

Tapp Member

I've got an opportunity to pick up a recent Gretsch Setzer model and was wanted to get some opinions from Gretsch owners. I own/play the typical Tele, Strat, Paul guitars and have never owned a Gretsch. I've played a few at various stores and thought some were nice, others so-so. I think they have a super cool look and love how Setzer sounds for sure.

thanks for any/all opinions

Tapp

2. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I think you'll need to check it out and see for yourself. I recently bought and restored a 54' Gretsch Electromatic with a DeArmond pickup and it's a little slice of heaven. The old ones are dicey at best and this one's a winner.

Earlier this year I played a Setzer SSLVO and fell in love in the store. Accordingly, I soon found one online for a good price and bought it. I played it for a while but didn't feel a connection the same way I do with my Electromatic.

I'd say that it's going to be down to how you feel about it.

In terms of fit and finish the recent Gretsches are great. The Setzer's are especially spoken highly of as very well put together guitars that some people just fall all over themselves about. Japanese built and lovingly finished.

If you've never tried a Gretsch at all, you certainly owe it to yourself to go somewhere and check some out. It's a totally unique sound and feel in the guitar universe that really brings out different songs in me.

Good luck!

3. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

i agree, go play and see. i have a lefty 6120. plays and sounds incredible. one thing though and this is obvious. the bodys are BIG. so, it takes some getting used to because its the size of most acoustics. there are also tones there that can't come from other guitars. i love mine.:AOK

4. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I have a G&L S-500 and an ASAT Classic plus a Brian Setzer 6120 and a Gretsch Phoenix. I think the G&L's are more versatile over all, covering more styles of music but the Gretsch's have a sound all their own that is absolutley cool. They are a blast to play and the growl of the TV Jones pickups kick ass. Eveyone needs to have Grestsch in the collection. :RoCkIn

5. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

I want one of the new 6120-1959 models in lacquer.

6. dudeunitx5000

dudeunitx5000 Senior Member

I am very pleased with my recent Gretsch Country Classic with real f holes. It sounds better and is much nicer than the old Tennessean I used to have.

7. Tone Shop Guitars

Tone Shop Guitars Member

Sounds like you are not replacing your tried and trues just adding a flavor.
    If that is the case, you can't go wrong with a Gretsch.
    If you got the xtra funds, dive in
    Good luck
    tr
    ;)

8. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Hell yeah, man, jump on it! Those are damn sweet guitars. Great tones, fabulous craftsmanship.

9. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I've been jonesing for another Gretsch -- I've got one of the Electromatic hollowbodies. Both my wife (who was with me) and the salesperson knocked me for getting this particular color -- it's the pale blue, or "periwinkle," as they called it. That's actually pretty accurate. And I totally love the sounds it get, but it's equipped with DeArmond 2000s, not Filters. I had a blue 6120 on order from Warpdrive, but I've not heard from them since, oh, March. It's just as well -- if that guitar came in & I grabbed it, I'd be a dead man. :D

10. 6120

6120 Member

The Gretsch Setzer is great, the fit and finish is the best I've seen on a factory made guitar, plays greart, the vintage lacquer is my favorite.

11. Tapp

Tapp Member

Thanks all, yeah it's definitely an addition and not a replacement. It will be a sight unseen deal (other than online pics) and it's usually not how I like to buy guitars. Maybe I'll shoot for a trial period and eat shipping if need be. It's supposed to have a nice profile on the medium-thick side with a soft V. I usually don't like soft V profiles but the seller told me he thought it was a comfortable feel. Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

Tapp

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I have been in love with Gretsch guitars since I started playing. The new post-Fender models are indeed a stellar era. Shame they're not made in New York anymore but the newer ones are as equally wonderful playing and sounding as any vintage Gretsch. TV Jones helps make the magic happen along with a team of quite skilled Japanese builders. For Travis picking, rocking out & jump blues the 6120's rule. They are much more sonically versatile and far reaching than one would expect - just ask Townsend & Setzer.

13. Noah

Noah Member

Gretsch's are great guitars! The gold one is for sale if anyone is interested! [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Tapp

Tapp Member

Oh well, the deal fell through so I'm looking for a recent '04-present orange Setzer if anyone knows a good deal. I want the nitro finish with TV Jones pickups.

thanks

Tapp

15. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Check out the used inventory on www.guitarrez.com. They have one at a good price.

I have a new Setzer. It's great.

16. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

Guitar Resurrection is a good shop -- they're honest, and do a good job of setup on their guitars. I bought my vintage J-45 from them, and wouldn't hesitate to deal with them via mail order.

It probably wouldn't take a whole lot to get me to swing by and check out that Setzer....

;-)

17. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I only played one Setzer and it had such a thin neck, front to back, that I thought it make a guy cramp. I also didn't like that it didn't have all the knobs.
    I always wanted one of those Black Falcons. 25-1/2" scale baby! A store here in KC used to have one of those gold ones with somebody's name as the model. Great guitar!!

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

www.guitarrez.com Great selection and cool guys to deal with. Ask for Dave, Fritz or Jim. They know what's what. I have played the used Setzer that thaey have, and it's very tempting!

19. Tapp

Tapp Member

Ogre, do you remember what the neck felt like on that one?

Tapp

20. El Kabong

El Kabong Member

Here in Japan, everyone wants an American made guitar. That being said, I can ride my bicycle to the Grtesch factory here in Nagoya. They sure look cool and that's about it. A couple of my friends own shops that stock high end and vintage. They won't stock Nagoya Gretsch.