do I want a Larrivee?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Sonic Reducer, May 23, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I played a Taylor 314CE this weekend that I loved. Wondering which of the following Larrivee would be closest in tone?

I'm not in the market for a cut away. After looking at the Larivee website, I'm interested in the following models:

D-03E
    D-03RE
    L-03E and RE
    D and L-05E

I played some Martins and Taylors the same day. The Martins were all low sounding. Like a deep voice. The Taylors were trebly sounding even on the low strings. I really like that though.

I figure that must be the signature Martin and Taylor sounds.

Do the Larivees have a tone of their own?

2. shadco

shadco Member

The L's will be the closest. Larivee tone is unique in it's own right and more balanced than Taylor IMO.

If you can get along with the flat fretboard they can be a great buy alot more for your money compared to taylor again IMO

3. mild

mild Member

+1. Your definitely not gonna want to buy one blind, I would highly reccomend checking them out at a store first. You are definitely not buying a Gibson or Taylor; these are pretty different.

That said, they are certainly the most bang-for-buck acoustics on the market at the moment. You can't really go wrong.

4. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I think Taylors are factory strung with Elixirs which stay brighter longer than the Martin strings, so that may be a factor. Larivee's are nice, but can vary quite a bit. I'd try to buy after trying a bunch out in person, quite a lot of variance can happen with an unseen purchase of an acoustic.

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

I strongly suggest Larrivee. I have found them to be, like Shadco said, much more balanced than Taylors. Personally I think you get a lot more for your money with Larrivees than with pretty much any other acoustic guitars out there.

6. shadco

shadco Member

I don't think Larrivee's vary any more than Taylor and if you buy with an appropriate approval period you should be as safe as you would be with any other brand. I think Martin's vary more than either Larrivee or Taylor.

You might lurk around www.larriveeforum.com for a while

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

If I had to replace my Alvarez-Yairi DY-53 with something, It'd probably be Larrivee...the majority of them I played sounded good.

8. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1. Larrivee's are marvelous instruments, they sound great and are easy to play! They are built really well with quality tonewoods and craftmanship.
    The best part is their price, you get alot of guitar for what you pay for!
    I have a Larrivee D-O3 12 String and a Larrivee all Koa Parlor guitar both are amazing instuments.
    The bottom line is you can't go wrong with a Larrivee.

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

I would go with the Larrivee L-03RE hands down. Tried an L-03R against a Taylor 714CE. While they were in a similar range, the Larrivee had more depth and roundness to the tone where the Taylor was a little brighter and not quite as complex to my ears. There was simply "more to listen to" with the Larrivee (and I liked the 714!).

Brett