Do I want a phaser/chorus or vibe ? Confused

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JohnK24, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I'm looking to add some "swirly" to my sound. I like Scofield's CS9 tones, I like Metheny's chorus like leads (I believe those are delay produced, right ?) and I like a nice leslie/vibe effect for the Hendrix/SRV stuff.
    Can I get these tones from one box, or is it wishful thinking ? I've had only a few chorus units...Arion SCHZ, Dano Cool Cat & Marshall Supervibe/Chorus (probably the best of the bunch). Way back I add one of the original MXR Phase 45 units (my first pedal, say '79).

I'm thinking Lovepedal Magic Boy ? Ibanez CS9 ? MXR Phase 90 ? Dunlop Stereo Chorus (not the Univibe)...what else should I consider. Let's keep it below $150.

Thanks gang,

John

2. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I was in a similiar boat as you recently, didn't have any modulation effects. had given up on them years ago.. but wanted something to add now and then..

ended up with a Red Witch Tremophase

I can get a lot of cool stuff with it.. phase, vibe, almost chorus type of sound.. very organic and warm

cool, cool unit

but, pricey

I snagged one used for 210

3. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Been exploring this recently...I think some of the (early) Metheny stuff sounds like chorus/flange...for more "swirl" I think it's gonna be a phaser or vibe, although I finding some phasers are "swirlier" than others...seems like for most modulation to the swirl a full-on univibe derivative is the trick...under $150? Hmmm...

[​IMG]

4. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

Unfortunately, the T. Miranda ProVibe seems to have been discontinued.

:(

5. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

wonder if they got in trouble for using the Pro-Vibe name that Dave Fox has had for at least 10 years?

6. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Drag...I missed that...sorry for the bum lead...mabye he's redesigning/renaming....

7. JohnK24

I'm now intrigued by the Shannon UniPhase.

J

8. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

$150 or less...

Lovepedal Vibe
    Sweet Sound MoFaux
    old EH Small Stone

All sound great!

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I take it you mean the Moon Phaser with the tremophase setting?

I want the Deluxe Moon Phaser really badly... not that I won't be able to tell if it's on or not without the LED, but I need to split my main signal into clean/dirty paths somewhere, and this pedal seems like the place to do it. It's easily the 2nd or 4th most important piece of gear on my list of things I need to complete the setup right now...

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

yeah, the moon phaser..
    sorry about that

mine is the deluxe unit...

I ran stereo for years.. man, that would be cool to do it again with this unit..
    .... must.... resist..

11. mesabooger

mesabooger Member

12. Mayflower

Mayflower Silver Supporting Member

Toward the end of the night when I am running my Matchless/Bad Cats at 15 watts.
    The amps is so hot and screaming, it creates a natural choursing effect.
    Sometimes I don't like it, other nights it is not so bad when I run it at lower volumes.
    Listen to EVH, that's flanging. Listen to any 80's pop tune, that chourosing.....in general.
    Use either like Tobasco Sauce, a little is good.......... but too much....:(
    Vibes are generally used alot less than the others, that is unless you are playig in a Trower Tribute band.....But in the right spots......

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Chorus and Flange are delay effects, phase is phase shifting as described and a univibe is a kind of phase and pan effect. All of them can cop a kind of Leslie thing in stereo, but phase and univibe probably do it better. At your price point I'd look at two ideas:
    1. Try and find a used TC chorus/flange-great sounding device, very flexible and useable on anything from guitar to keys.
    2. Two devices-like a CE2 chorus (still less than $100 and one of the great sounds) and an MXR Phase 90, new or used. Should get you a wide range of cool sounds for less than $200.

14. seanc

seanc Member

i want one of those lovepedal vibes. they sure sound nice and something can could fit a lot of styles. might have to talk to Sean about that pedal i think...

15. JohnK24

Thanks for the info and ideas !

J