1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Do I want a Stage Piano, Keyboard Workstation, Arranger Keyboard, or Synth?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Grayson73, Feb 23, 2017.

1. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

For that money take a look at the Yamaha MOXF8. Full XF sound set, good feeling (to me) graded hammer action board. Really good ambient sound and pads. Hard to find used though.

2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Korg did a workstation vs. arranger video. Korg makes both a high-end workstation (Kronos line), and a top of the line arranger that costs just as much money as a Kronos (Pa4X), so they'd be happy to take your money either way, whether you choose a workstation or an arranger.

Arranger: Choose from hundreds of musical styles. Lets you see lyrics and musical score. Songwriters who work within specific musical styles can put together demos quickly

Workstation: More sound-design oriented, studio work.

BTW, one area in which this Korg video is out of date is the comment about best-quality samples being in workstations. The video was made in 2014. The Pa4X was released a couple of years after the video, as well as Yamaha's competing Tyros5. Both of them have top of the line sampling/sample playback technology.

This is Sweetwater's article:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keyboard-workstation-buying-guide/

My aunt is her church's choir director and keyboardist. She's really comfortable with the arranger paradigm - quickly calling up styles, adding fills, etc. to go with the songs. They do a lot of hymns, carols, etc. - not originals. If she ever came to me for advice on an upgrade, I'd recommend an arranger over a workstation for her.

3. Grayson73

Grayson73 Member

Unless anyone has any additional recommendations from the list, I'm going to go with the Roland FP-90.

Casio PX-5S 725.00
    Korg SV-1 73 999.99
    Korg SV-1 88 1,100.00
    Korg Triton Pro 88 800.00
    Roland FP-50 719.20
    Roland FP-80 899.99
    Roland FP-90 1,115.99
    Roland RD-300NX 700.00
    Roland RD-700GX 999.99
    Roland RD-700NX 1,227.60
    Roland RD-800 1,455.00
    Yamaha CP33 490.00
    Yamaha CP4 1,239.99
    Yamaha CP40 1,025.00

4. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Yamaha CP33 is the best piano sound and action you're going to find (I can tell a Korg or Roland "piano" a mile away).

Not a lot of sounds, but it covers everything you mentioned and then some. I've been pounding on mine for so many years... it's a very fine beast. Also one of the few (if you have the original foot pedal) that treats "sustain" as a continuous controller, so you can use half-pedaling techniques.

Best of all, it just feels awesome under your hands.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  5. Triton76

Triton76 Member

from your list I'd choose the Yamaha CP40 as best compromise CP4 if you can afford it.
    the Triton is 1999 tech and the piano aint great

6. jomama2

jomama2 Member

One thing I haven't seen mentioned (maybe I missed it) is how easy is the bleeping thing to learn to use. From what I've seen and heard, Yamaha scores lowest there, Roland highest, Korg in the middle. FWIW

7. Grayson73

Grayson73 Member

Thanks, that's very important since we'll have many different people using it. I should definitely look at Roland,..highest means easiest to use, correct?

8. GravityJim

The Yamahas are not difficult to use, but Roland has a long-standing rep for some of the worst UI and documentation ever. My JV1080 drove me crazy when I bought it... I finally had to look up how to set it up for multitimbral use on the Interwebz, because the 150 page manual was useless. This isn't what I read online, this is my direct experience.

9. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

So I've been in the market and found the Roland DS88 for a great price and pulled the trigger with 30-day return. I am starting a separate thread but since it got mentioned here I thought I'd inquire as to your experiences with this board and see how much the folks in here like it?

10. jomama2

jomama2 Member

We'll agree to disagree there....I think if one bounces around the net on such topics you'll find the majority do as well, although of course that's hardly definitive either. OP would need to test drive some if at all possible. Start by just flipping the thing on and playing around a bit, trying diff things.

11. GravityJim

Right. Bouncing around the net doesn't tell you anything but who got really angry trying to make something work. But you don't have any actual experience using any of these synths, right?

12. p19978

p19978 Member

I just bot a Korg Krome 88; GREAT keyboard! I paid $800 used with a stand and gig bag.

Has all the sounds you'll ever need and the user interface (touchscreen) is easy enough to navigate without even opening the manual.

rsm likes this.
  13. jomama2

jomama2 Member

Wow $800 that's insane, like half what a new one costs.

14. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I did a bit of research for myself yesterday, and the answer for me was a Casio Px-160 Privia.
    Really nice piano sounds, good alt keyboard sounds, and you can layer piano and keys together to make a really nice tone or use as a pad.
    I need to sell some skateboards, make room in my retreat and use the cash to buy the piano.

15. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I saw a comparison yesterday, and the reviewer said the Roland was the only one where he needed to RTFM before using. Lots of features, but not as intuitive to use.

16. jomama2

jomama2 Member

Yeah opinions are like etc etc - as I said, FWIW.

17. Grayson73

Grayson73 Member

I ended up getting the Roland FP-60. Thanks, everyone!

18. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Interested in your experience with it. And congratulations!