Do I want a Stage Piano, Keyboard Workstation, Arranger Keyboard, or Synth?

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Grayson73, Feb 23, 2017.

1. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

For that money take a look at the Yamaha MOXF8. Full XF sound set, good feeling (to me) graded hammer action board. Really good ambient sound and pads. Hard to find used though.

2. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

Korg did a workstation vs. arranger video. Korg makes both a high-end workstation (Kronos line), and a top of the line arranger that costs just as much money as a Kronos (Pa4X), so they'd be happy to take your money either way, whether you choose a workstation or an arranger.

Arranger: Choose from hundreds of musical styles. Lets you see lyrics and musical score. Songwriters who work within specific musical styles can put together demos quickly

Workstation: More sound-design oriented, studio work.

BTW, one area in which this Korg video is out of date is the comment about best-quality samples being in workstations. The video was made in 2014. The Pa4X was released a couple of years after the video, as well as Yamaha's competing Tyros5. Both of them have top of the line sampling/sample playback technology.

This is Sweetwater's article:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/keyboard-workstation-buying-guide/

My aunt is her church's choir director and keyboardist. She's really comfortable with the arranger paradigm - quickly calling up styles, adding fills, etc. to go with the songs. They do a lot of hymns, carols, etc. - not originals. If she ever came to me for advice on an upgrade, I'd recommend an arranger over a workstation for her.

3. Grayson73

Grayson73 Member

Unless anyone has any additional recommendations from the list, I'm going to go with the Roland FP-90.

Casio PX-5S 725.00
    Korg SV-1 73 999.99
    Korg SV-1 88 1,100.00
    Korg Triton Pro 88 800.00
    Roland FP-50 719.20
    Roland FP-80 899.99
    Roland FP-90 1,115.99
    Roland RD-300NX 700.00
    Roland RD-700GX 999.99
    Roland RD-700NX 1,227.60
    Roland RD-800 1,455.00
    Yamaha CP33 490.00
    Yamaha CP4 1,239.99
    Yamaha CP40 1,025.00

4. GravityJim

GravityJim Member

Yamaha CP33 is the best piano sound and action you're going to find (I can tell a Korg or Roland "piano" a mile away).

Not a lot of sounds, but it covers everything you mentioned and then some. I've been pounding on mine for so many years... it's a very fine beast. Also one of the few that (if you have the original foot pedal) that treats "sustain" as a continuous controller, so you can use half-pedaling techniques.

Best of all, it just feels awesome under your hands.

5. Triton76

Triton76 Member

from your list I'd choose the Yamaha CP40 as best compromise CP4 if you can afford it.
    the Triton is 1999 tech and the piano aint great