Do I want a Suhr Classic ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by devbro, Oct 2, 2005.

1. devbro

devbro Member

I've been considering buying a classic for quite some time but I'm afraid of getting another guitar like my 2003 American Deluxe Fat Strat.

Let me explain. I gig allot and need a comfortable neck that I can play all night without hand fatigue. The neck on my Strat wears me out so much; I have stopped playing it and have gone back to my PRS. I think the radius is wrong coupled with the shape. Don't get me wrong, it's an unbelievable instrument, it's just not for me. Here's my quandary; I love the neck on my PRS, but I like single coils.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what Suhr neck is similar to my PRS that won't kill me after a night of playing? I sent an email to Suhr asking this question and never got a response.

What about Suhr customer service and why are there so many for sale on Ebay?
    :confused:

2. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks for the response John.

My PRS neck is a CE24 and what they call a "Wide Thin". The measurements below are from their website. Not knowing allot about neck measurements, is there a comparable Suhr neck? Also, where in the Los Angeles area is the best bet to test drive different necks?

PRS CE24

Width at the body: 2 1/4"
    Depth of neck at the nut: 25/32”
    Fingerboard radius: 10”
    Scale length: 25”

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

The customer service is about the best you could possibly get. John will more or less do whatever it takes to make you happy with your guitar. I just got a classic with 6100 ss frets, vintage c neck, 1088 trem,and silent coil system. It sounds like a warm old strat but with no noise, smoother bends, better intonnation, no sticky neck, and it's light too. What more could you want? The only time I ever sold a suhr was to fund a new suhr with the latest options.

4. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

Dood - just mail him the guitar and he will take the measurements he needs. This way you get the guitar you like - and you'll never have to sell it on eBay and we'll all be happy.

If you're gonna spend that much money - spend llike $60 (that's $30.00 each way for shipping).

There - I said it.

5. devbro

devbro Member

My problem is that I may like one of his stock necks even better than my PRS. It would be a shame not to do my homework and at least try them all and then make a decision. I think the only way to know for sure is to grab the PRS, gas up the sled and head out to Lake Elsinore.

There - I feel better already:D

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

FWIW, I worried a lot about the neck too. I tend to like large diameter, flat radii necks and I wasn't sure how I'd go for the standard Suhr neck. I feel really good with a nice sized C shaped 12" radius.

I bought a Classic anyway from Indoor Storm with the standard C neck in the 10-14 radius and I really like it a lot. As much as any other of my favorite necks. I have no complaint at all. No cramping or achey hands and I can fly on it as good as any.

That said, I've always been somewhat easy to please and pretty adaptive to different neck types. I really don't have too much of a problem with fatigue on a "bad" neck for me even. Where I really measure a good neck for me is in how easy I play it and how smoothe and fast I am relative to what I'm capapble of.

7. glynn

glynn Member

You could also swing by Tone Merchants, they have a pretty good selection of Suhr's with various necks on 'em.

I play a cu24 with the standard neck, and all the Suhr's felt really comfortable. Plus, they sound good too.

8. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i had a similar decision when i got my suhr. i had been playing a PRS wide-fat neck for years and wanted similar on the suhr. i wound up going with the "even C huge" and while it's really not the same shape as the PRS it plays absolutely killer and i love it. the PRS WF is definately rounder and deeper on the back and maybe not as wide as the even C huge.

head down to a dealer or go to the shop and play a bunch of them. best of luck!

9. PerryT

PerryT Member

I was in a similar boat and ended up getting a Suhr carve top with a C shaped 10-14 compound (.840-.920) radius neck. It is smooth as silk and I never get fatigue.

If it wasn't such an overused and campy phrase, I would say it 'plays like butter'...but, oh hell - it does play like butter.

YMMV, but I couldn't be happier...

10. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'll check out Tone Merchants and play a few.

11. Redbell

Redbell Member

I'm VERY curious about their guitars, never seen one to be able to play it. There's not even a dealer in Southern Indiana to the best of my knowledge. Kinda cool that he hangs here though, do I get a discount for being a "gearpager?"

12. Reeek

Reeek Member

No but here's a tip . . . save your money. It's well worth it :D

13. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Hey Redbell,
    I'm a northern Hoosier (South Bend). If you wanna split the difference some saturday this fall, I'll bring my 2 Suhrs along (Classic S style, and Classic T style).
    We could meet around Indy...say, south to Greenwood or up north around Carmel/Fishers?
    Lemme know...
    S.
    j

14. Redbell

Redbell Member

I may have to get with you on that but I'm not sure when.
    Thanks for your post.

15. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

I have a PRS with a W/T neck carve as well as a Suhr. I would recommend Suhr's even C slim with a 1.687 nut width. That should do it.

16. devbro

devbro Member

Anthony,
    Thanks man. I knew someone out there had both and could make a comparrison. How do you lige the Even C Slim comarred to the W/T?

17. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Silver Supporting Member

Other than the scale difference and radius, you'll notice they feel very similar. Hand fatigue will definitely not be an issue on the Even C slim. It may be a hair deeper at the nut, but you're still in the same ballpark. I switch back on forth all the time and there's no problem.

18. devbro

devbro Member

I'm thinking the radius on the Suhr might turn out better because the PRS is 10 (non compound). I like very low action. I think this means the action can be as low as the PRS on the lower frets and the bendability on the high frets should be improved. Yes?

19. devbro

devbro Member

Good point.
    The Even C Slim is only .5 longer scale so it shouldn't make too much difference - I hope.

I keep checking the local dealers websites for and even C slim. Gotta play one before I pull the trigger:D