Do I want a Timefactor or something else?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by james..., May 17, 2011.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

Hey all.

I use a lot of delay. Most of the time 2 delays at once. I also hate tap dancing, so two separate delay pedals is out of the question.

I happen to own a liquid foot pro midi controller (from another rig) and initially I figured I would get a timefactor (midi) along with a gcx switcher and control all my pedals in the rack. This way I could economize my footwork with patch changes.

Only issue is...I really like looking at my pedals below me. So I've nearly scrapped that idea and I'm back to square one.

There are some things I like and dislike about the timefactor.

Pros

-2 delays at once solves a lot of issues
    -Great sounds
    -tap tempo (must)

Cons

-I can't name my banks. This is a big deal because I run a 12 song set where each song has its own tempo and delay settings. (usually 2 within a song). I can't remember 12 banks worth of delays settings.
    -I can't really use play mode either because all my songs have different delays types. So it's not just a matter of keeping the tempo tapped.
    -Can you even bypass the unit in bank mode?

If there's another unit that can do me any better, I'm not aware of it. Unless I can figure out a workaround, I may just be forced to buy a gcx and use a midi board.

2. musickbox

musickbox Member

The Timefactor can do all the cons you listed. I would look into the recent upgrades in software. You can name banks, have set or tap tempo per bank, and with an AUX switch like t1m's, you can access all controls to bypass the tf, tap tempo, bank a or b, up or down, and infinite repeat.

3. james...

james... Supporting Member

So I will need another switch to bypass it while in bank mode?

4. danut

danut Member

Yes. T1M effects makes a nice compact switcher with 3 buttons that can be assigned to a lot of TF parameters, including Bank Down.

I would like to add that the TF can be set in Relay Mode (true bypass), but you lose delay spill-over. Also please be aware that although the TF sports two independent delays, they have the following two "limitations":

1. They are parallel, not serial so you cannot use them in cascade;
    2. You cannot mix delay types (you can't have at once, for example, delay A digital and delay B tape echo).

Other than that, the Timefactor is a superb pedal, huge tone, great versatility, just get it and you'll thank me later :)

5. hackett

hackett Member

sounds to me like the timefactor is made for you. I think one of the biggest issue is powering it. 9v 1200ma. I think eventide is coming out with a new pedal power product.

6. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

Since the release of V3 beta you can name your presets. You can easily bypass in bank mode. Say you're in bank mode using setting 2:1 and you're viewing bank 2, you can click the middle button to go straight to 2:2 OR you can step on the left button for 2:1 and that will bypass the setting. The button you click to turn it on is the same button you use to turn it off. You can also get an external switch such as the This1sMyne E3 (which I highly reccomend) that will let you bank down and give you an external tap that works in bank mode so you don't ever have to switch to play mode at all.

Another PRO that I don't see you having mentioned: you said you have a 12 song set, I'm assuming it's the same 12 songs in the same order day after day, you can program all your presets in order you need them so rather than navigating through a bunch of different presets within songs, you can program them specifically in order of your set and for each songs so you go 1:1, 1:2, 2:1, 2:2, 3:1, 3:2, etc. and just step on the next setting you need instead of jumping from say 4:2 to 2:1.

7. theroan

theroan Member

I'm going to be running an M9 and a Timeline. I like character.

8. Boosted

Boosted Member

Not to be a troll, but how do you know the timeline has character? It's not even out yet. And the m9, imho, barely has character. It's a clean, digital delay that has universal tap. It's nice, but not character-nice! haha

9. jrjones

jrjones Supporting Member

For real! People who have no experience but still talk make me laugh!

10. stratguy23

stratguy23 Member

Dude, everyone knows that pedals that aren't out yet have the most character (well until they are released)...

:sarcasm

11. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

You can also use midi to bypass and switch presets etc, the midi Implementation is pretty good in the Eventide pedals.

So if you decided to put it in the rack, like I did, it plays great with other midi kit.

Only sold it because I got an eclipse, which has all the same presets these days.

12. theroan

theroan Member

I find the M9 delays have more character than the Timefactor. Are we also forgetting that there are videos of the Timeline?

13. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Seriously?

Not a flame, just interested.

I thought the M13 lacked a lot of the character that Eventide bring to the table....I can certainly understand that the Eventide pedals have a very destinctive Eventide character about them that people may not like...personally I really like them for it as it makes them different from the crowd.

Respectfully YMMV

14. theroan

theroan Member

I just found the Eventide kind of boring. Here the note, now it's repeating, now it gone. My buddy and I A/B'd the 616 with the Analog selay w/mod sound and it was pretty close. Obviously, I don't think the M series is the best or I wouldn't be considering the Timeline.

15. BadMelonFarmer

BadMelonFarmer Member

Fair enough, thanks for explaining... Was just interested