Do I want a Vibrolux Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb?

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
Looking for a gigging amp that will cover a bunch of bases. Most of my gigs are at low to medium-lowish volumes, with the occasional medium-loud small club gig.

Looking to pickup either a SF VR or a SF DR, and am looking for some advice and feedback from people that are familiar with both amps.

Questions:
1) Does the VR sound and feel good at lower volumes? Think mellow-esque Jazz gig.
2) Which amp works better with od/dist pedals? I like having the option to bypass the bright cap on the VR. Is the DR more finicky?
3) How much weight difference between the two if we're talking pre '74 silverface?
4) When opening up the amps at a medium volume gig, can the DR sound as "big" as a VR?

Thanks all!

tfunster

Gold Supporting Member
I say Vibrolux all day but I'm biased...something about those 2x10s
Can you expand upon that? I believe the 2x10's are a bit faster and punchier sounding, but are a bit more mid scooped vs. a 12" - does that sound about right?

reddog112

Gold Supporting Member
I had a 67 Vibrolux that had to go when I got divorced, another reason to not like the ex!

Very punchy, good spread and just the right wattage and headroom....not sure about the mids as speakers vary...just thought you can get the amp working without being ridiculously loud...the v Deluxe is a classic too, I was just spilled by that 67

caspersvapors

Silver Supporting Member
In my opinion Fender 6L6 amps sound better at lower volumes and overall I prefer that sound over 6v6s as far as clean sounds are concernee. The Deluxe and Princeton need to be turned up a bit

BlueRiff

Vibrolux at 35-40 watts for the win! One speaker to consider that will fill out your low end and provide a nice vintage sound is the Emi Legend 105. There are certainly other great tens but I have these in a 2 x 10 open back Home Depot plywood cabinet and they are amazing. You have the speed of the 10's but enough low end punch to sound like 12s at times.

gldtp99

I say Vibrolux Reverb because I generally prefer more power vs less power and 6L6GC vs 6V6--- nothing more frustrating than being underpowered and giving up clean headroom in an effort to hear myself.

But you can't really lose with either of these amps----- the Deluxe Reverb is one the most popular amps in history----- some players prefer the 22 watt/6V6 power level and 1x12 so that the natural OD grind of the amp is attainable at a lower volume level------and they do have great clean tone but the vol/coverage of the pure clean tone is somewhat limited (without good PA support).
If you prefer some grind with your clean tone then maybe the Deluxe Reverb would be the better choice.

I have a friend who plays a SF Princeton Reverb that I rescued years ago------ both the Vib Rev and Deluxe Rev would be too powerful for his typical playing situation------ his band plays at low volume levels. I recently rescued a derelict 1962 Brownface 6G2 Princeton---- he played it and liked it but it breaks up too soon for use in his band----- he did play a lot of cool OD'd passages when he demo'd it.:cool:

Matching the amp/power level to the expected use is of some value here---- also factor in the presence/absence of proper PA support.

sideman

DR. After years of playing bigger amps -- usually throttling them back with pedals -- I'm all about 1x12. Sounds full at modest volumes, and an easy carry. And you can always sell a DR - the original Desert Island amp.

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
I had two Vibrolux Reverb's and one Deluxe Reverb. Now I have one Deluxe Reverb.

hunter

Sean French

SF VR. Big bottle 6L6s for the win. Takes Drive pedals better IMO. Also sounds bigger and less scooped. YMMV

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Looking for a gigging amp that will cover a bunch of bases. Most of my gigs are at low to medium-lowish volumes, with the occasional medium-loud small club gig.

Looking to pickup either a SF VR or a SF DR, and am looking for some advice and feedback from people that are familiar with both amps.

Questions:
1) Does the VR sound and feel good at lower volumes? Think mellow-esque Jazz gig.
2) Which amp works better with od/dist pedals? I like having the option to bypass the bright cap on the VR. Is the DR more finicky?
3) How much weight difference between the two if we're talking pre '74 silverface?
4) When opening up the amps at a medium volume gig, can the DR sound as "big" as a VR?

Thanks all!
Most giggers have more than one amp so I have both amps. Don't want to muck them up with pedals.

ripgtr

I've gigged a bunch of dif Fender stuff. Last 17 years, a sfdr was my main amp. A blackverb is now my main amp, because I wanted the 6l6 sound, at least for a while. But the SFDR is a great amp. I have played VRs but I never owned one, not sure I ever got one as a backline.

1 - All Fender amps sound killer at low volume. I had a SF Twin for years, gigged it, played it around the house. even turned down, with the bright cap off, every fender I have played sounded great, even low volume. They sound better turned up, but what doesn't? :)
2 - The DR takes pedals great. Don't like the bright cap on a DR? Clip it. Or do what I did, put it on a switch.
3 - VR is about 10 lbs heavier, per the fender field guide. It doesn't give specific years, but that sounds about right.
4 - I've gigged the DR a bunch. the ONLY issue I had was wanting to get a clean neck sound, like jazzy sound, with a blues bar band. But part of that might be the alnico speaker I had in it at the time. The ceramic that is in there now stays cleaner a lot longer and gets pretty loud. Loud enough to gig with, and then some.

The VR is going to be louder and stay cleaner longer. I have a pro reverb, not all that dif, same OT I think? I've played it on 4 outside and had to use a power station to keep it at a good stage volume. I could have used the DR just fine, as well.
The VRs I have played sounded wonderful. The DRs I have played sounded wonderful.

6L6 and 6v6 sound a bit dif, especially when you open them up a bit. Both great flavors, it really depends, you could easily gig either. It kind of depends on what you are trying to get at the moment. Once I got the DR, it became my main amp, but I also had a 6L6 amp around, for that sound.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
another vote for the vibrolux. if its too loud get some less efficient speakers.

thesweetness

Silver Supporting Member
I have both and personally I like the DR better for gigs, but that’s largely because I don’t like pedals and do not use a pedal board. The DR breaks up at just the right level I think and I can control with the guitar knobs. In my experience the vibrolux needs to be just a little louder to break up and it is just past the level of what’s suitable for most clubs I play.

But if you get your distorted tones from a pedal then go for the vibrolux for the extra headroom and the 2x10 sweetness.

I think they’ll both sound wonderful at low volumes and sound full at gig volumes, the 2x10 has a little more spread to the sound for sure which you may notice at a quiet jazz gig but I never notice the difference personally when I’m playing live, but I play mostly in noises crowded bars.

So basically if I were you I’d just decide based on the level of headroom i’d want Because tone wise they’re both a sure thing.

*side note you can always put a 2x10 baffle in a DR to experiment too.

dani_boy79

Vibrolux at 35-40 watts for the win! One speaker to consider that will fill out your low end and provide a nice vintage sound is the Emi Legend 105. There are certainly other great tens but I have these in a 2 x 10 open back Home Depot plywood cabinet and they are amazing. You have the speed of the 10's but enough low end punch to sound like 12s at times.
I have an extension Cab loaded with a 2 x 10" Emi 10516 Pair ...such a complex sound that works really well with both my '77 Deluxe Reverb and my home brew JTM45!

Trending Topics