Do I want an RFT ECC83?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jwri9790, May 19, 2015.

1. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

I have a Dr Z Maz 18NR that I love, but I do find it a bit shrill and bright at times. I was wondering if a pair of RFT ECC83s in V1 and V2 will improve that icepick that I get sometimes without compromising the tone that I do like.

I generally play either really clean with the master dimed and the preamp volume on low to get a nice rich warm and articulate clean tone (I currently go between Tung Sol reissues or JJECC803s in the V1 and V2). Or I crank the preamp volume for a really nice full and glorious Voxy/Marashally rock crunch. I like sizzle and cut, but I don't like shrill icepick distortion that I sometimes get.

I'm worried the RFT might be a bit too dark for me as I like really articulate and defined cleans and really crunchy distorted chords that have a bit of sizzle. Pretty much I want to take off a bit of the harshness from the Maz without losing articulate high end or getting too wooly and mushy.

Thoughts?

2. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Great tubes, one of my favorites. Get a couple. Go NOS, and avoid used tubes as they can be just a little used or all used up. I think member 59Vampire has some NOS RFT's for a fair price in the emporium

59Vampire likes this.
  3. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Never used one in a Z but I love rft 12ax7s in Marshall and higher gain amps. They do work great to tame excessive brightness and have a killer overdriven tone. They are relatively lower cost than other nos tubes too so not too bad on the wallet

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Even just one in V1 may be enough.

Echoplexi likes this.
  5. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

How do they compare to the dark JJ ECC83? I don't want a dark tube that will dull my cleans. Will the RFT add warmth without reducing the complexity of my cleans and the harmonic content of my drive tones?

6. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

7. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Isn't TPG all about over-thinking it?

I might just try one and see how it goes.

8. tapehead

tapehead Member

Maybe. I say go for it, worst case scenario you add another affordable backup to your stash.
    RCA (black or grey plates, long or short) might be another option to consider...the long black plate variety in particular is a very warm, creamy tube in v1 of every British & American amp I've tried.

9. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am using an RFT 12AX7 in my Reinhardt MI-6 head. I have tried the tube in both the V1 and V2 slots. It is a great sounding tube.

10. gtone

gtone Member

Shhh - you guys are gonna drive the prices up on my "go to" 12AX7's!!

11. jwri9790

jwri9790 Member

Just pulled the trigger on a late 60s RFT ECC83. Hopefully it does the trick!

Do they reduce headroom by much?

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Just a tad bit, if your using just one in v1 or v2, it will be hard to notice. Great tubes, try it in both v1 and v2.

13. ken374

ken374 Member

I use a Jan GE WA in the v1 and a RFT v2 in a Marshall DSL, works really good. One thing I didnt like about the Maz that was being bright.

14. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'm a big fan of RFT preamp tubes. While I haven't played your particular amp, they do have a nice warmth to them with a nice drive while still having clarity. Reasonably priced on the NOS market too.

15. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'll be the sole voice of dissent. And it is because of this:
    You'll lose articulation with the RFT ECC83.

If you're set on making a tube change to take off some high-end, I highly recommend early-'60s long-plate GE 12AX7 that look like this:
    [​IMG]
    Those will help you retain articulation, while taking a little treble edge off.

I'd also urge you to check your speaker selection; that is probably the best place I could recommend turning your attention.

Now, all that said, you've already got an RFT ECC83 on the way... Try it out. They're unique enough to be a valuable tool to have in your stash.

- Thom

59Vampire likes this.
  16. goneracin

goneracin Member

in a marshall style amp, the rft is magic in the PI.
    my favorite by far there

17. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Ssshhhhst talking about the lomg plate GE. You guys already drove up the prices on the matsushitas!