Do I want fuzz, distortion, or amp-in-a-box??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Crowder, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I am normally one to favor subtler flavors of dirt, but I'd like to have one pedal that does very saturated, sustaining dirt for the occasional solo that begs for that flavor.

I have tried many and varied fuzzes for this application. I have yet to find "the one" that really meshes with my Tele and Goodsell Super 17. The closest I came was an old three-knob BA Scarab. I tried a Scarab Deluxe and it just wasn't the same.

I'm starting to think I should audition some distortion or amp-in-a-box style pedals instead. Any ideas on that front would be appreciated.

I want to be able to get this solo tone from ONE pedal, rather than the stacking that I do for my core tones. The rideout solo on this song is a sample of what I'm looking for (starts at 3:25):

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/crowdertunes/boots-demo[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I give up...which one do you want?

3. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Distortion plus neck humbucker or middle position will get you there.

Check out some of Wamplers pedals with the bass, mid and treble controls, or even a Rat depending on the EQ of your amp.

4. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I think something like the Emma ReezaFRATzitz or Barber Small Fry could get you there. Maybe also look at Rat or OCD.

5. Madsen

Madsen Member

6. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

If you can't make it with a Rat, then change your amp.
    Or maybe an Empress Multidrive.

7. TJT79

TJT79 Member

OP: you haven't mentioned your base sound. Is the amp clean? Crunchy?

8. tuj

tuj Member

If you have a clean amp check out the Tech 21 Sans Amp classic (the one with DIP switches). It has a killer drive sound and you can really sculpt the tone.

9. Crowder

Slightly edgy. My normal signal chain involves adding gain in incremental steps to push to amp harder. I'll push the amp with an EP Boost, RRR or Belle Epoch set for slight boosts. I have an alternate loop where did like to be able to swap from my normal chain to a pedal that brings a more aggressive, singing sustain without worrying over how it stacks. The purpose of having it in a separate loop is being able to go directly to that sound regardless of what I have engaged in my normal chain.

10. Crowder

Thanks for the help.

11. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am surprised you are not able to cop that tone with your Skreddy LMMD. I also own a Goodsell S17. I like the PTD Mini Bone alot; although, it is not readily available. I recently picked up an OCD 1.7 version. It absolutely kills with the Goodsell S17 and is very capable of those solo tones.

12. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Member

Rat. Half the time when someone thinks they want a fuzz, they really want a Rat.

13. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

I was thinking of a different Fulltone pedal - check out a PlimSoul. I can almost guarantee you'll be able to get the exact tone of that solo.