Do I want my Tyler in mamywo or alder?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by suhr_rodney, Jun 5, 2006.

1. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

So I'm seriously considering a Tyler and want your thoughts. Do I want mamywo or alder? Why? Oh, and WTF is mamywo? :messedup

2. matte

matte Senior Member

james built me an ash body maple v neck classic that is amazing. splatt has it now. btw, the locking staggered gotoh klusons i sent him actually ended up on my guitar.

3. suhr_rodney

touché! :BEER

4. John Bell

John Bell Member

A have a friend who is a long time table cabnet builder.I showed him the Tyler I had with the bare arm and he said......."that's not wood" I said...." These guitars are in the 3000 dollar range it's got to be some exotic hardwood." He said......" I don't care if it was a million bucks......that's not wood...." Who knows...........:messedup

5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

What did he surmise it was, John?

6. BPlexico

BPlexico Gold Supporting Member

The very topic was discussed on a different site (credit to John Z):

Name: Jelutong (Dyera costulata)
    Type: Hardwood.
    Other Names: Also known as jelutong bukit, jelutong paya.
    Sources: Grows in Malaysia, Borneo, and Sumatra.
    Appearance: Straight grained with fine, even texture. Creamy-white sapwood and heartwood, maturing to a pale straw-yellow.
    Physical Props: Light, soft, brittle, and weak with good stability in service, low decay resistance, and a poor steam bending rating.
    Working Props: Works easily with both hand and power tools and planes to a nice, clean surface. Glues, screws, and nails without difficulty. Stains, paints, and varnishes fairly well.
    Uses: Popular for model making, patterns, wooden shoes, battery separators, and drawing boards. Also used for interior joinery and corestock for doors. Excellent wood for carving and sculpture due to its softness.
    Latex in the wood is extracted for chewing gum.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/jelutong.htm

-- Barr

Hamer95USA likes this.
  7. mavrick10_2000

mavrick10_2000 Member

Mamywo is to wood as "Chicken McNuggets" is to Chicken meat "Parts is Parts". It stands for Malaysian Mystery Wood.

But I hear those guitars do sound great with it regardless of the mysterious make up. And that is no slam on James Tyler guitars. If it didn't sound good he wouldn't use it.

gkelm likes this.
  8. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Malaysian Mystery Wood

I think it's a species that latex is extracted from. It's very light, like basswood, and works very well.

9. Kappy

Kappy Member

I always thought the Mammy Nuns made the stuff, but Malaysian Mystery Wood is pretty cool too. Kinda' like meat, in a loaf format.

10. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Rodney,

if we get together this weekend, you can check out my Tyler with mamywo.

12. jharpersj

jharpersj Silver Supporting Member

Me I'd go alder/maple neck, this is after having probably 15 tylers of various woods/ect, I'd do locking tuners and 6100 frets, studio elite body and electronics, just my 2 cents

13. suhr_rodney

Thanks to everyone for their input. In the end I could not decide, so I reckoned the only way to solve the problem was to buy two. :)

#1 is chambered alder classic with rosewood (thanks Jim) and #2 is a mamywo elite in the awesome burning water finish (thanks Ric). Both should arrive next week. I'm giddy!

14. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i have checked out a few tyler guitars and found them to be top notch. here's the rub... is it just me, or is anyone else a bit put off by that headstock design? i know i'm being picky, and they are exceptionally well built instruments, but i can't get past that headstock. it's got to be the most "unfortunate" design i've seen to date (notice i didn't say ugly:)
    so, am i alone in my siliness, or has anyone else stalled a bit on these great guitars for the same reason. just curious, and i mean no disrespect to tyler owners, who obviously aren't as shallow as me:)
    peace - jv

15. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

I used to hate Tyler's headstock, but now I like it. Heritage's on the other hand ...

16. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

i guess it's always a matter of personal taste, and everyone's got their own. i actually applaud builders for taking chances and trying something truly unique. i just can't justify buying a really expensive guitar unless i dig everything about it. i don't wish to get you all off topic so i'll leave you with that.
    best of luck, suhr rodney, on getting just what you want.
    peace - jv

17. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I have a Mamywo Tyler and an Alder Tyler.

If they were prisoners sharing a cell the Alder Tyler would be the wife.

Seriously, the mids are quite different much more pronouced, mid to low mids are very heavy, my mamywo tyler is much darker sounding overall.

Very fat sounding. I find the Alder one to be much brighter and thinner sounding. I sold the alder tyler.

Say what you want about mamywo but my Tyler smokes.

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I wish mine had been in playable condition for you, it should be back this weekend from the shop.

19. SkatePunk

SkatePunk Member

WHERE CAN I GET THOSE?!? I can't find them anywhere. They are on my Suhr and I love them! If I could get those in nickel, I'd have them aged and throw them on my Linhof possibly doing away with the need for the string tree.

20. yeast2000

yeast2000 Member

Interesting. I've had quite an opposite experience.