Do it all amp? I'm thinking of downsizing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by deadbeat son, Apr 10, 2017.

1. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Let me begin with getting this out of the way, I don't care for modelers. There, I said it; now that that is out of the way, on to the meat of my post...

I currently have a Vox AC30HW2, a 1977 Marshall JMP 2204 with a 1960 cab, and a Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb. I like what each of these amps bring to the table, but I haven't played out in a little over 3 years and frankly don't see getting the band (or even a band...) back together in my near future. All of the competing priorities in my life just don't seem to support it.

So, I've thought about selling these 3 amps and buying one versatile amp that would be good for home use, but I could still use for club gigs if I do end up playing out again. I've been considering a Dr. Z. Maz 18 NR head and cab setup with a Brake Lite. I primarily play rock, and this seems like a good versatile, well rounded amp. If I need heaver tones, I could always add a pedal. I have already narrowed down my guitar collection to a Gibson ES-137, a Gibson Historic '57 Les Paul Junior Reissue, and a Fender American Vintage '64 Telecaster. So whatever amp I get, it would need to play well with humbuckers, P90s, and single coils.

Anything else in a similar price range that I should consider? Am I a fool and I should really keep all 3 amps?

***EDIT*** Like the other kind of gas, I'm sure the amp downsizing idea will soon pass. I think I have decided to build a small pedal board to use with the Fender for now and I'll hold onto the Vox & Marshall for a while longer.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. 8len8

8len8 Member

3. Triptych_Totengott

Triptych_Totengott Member

those are all pretty quality pieces, id keep them, you really aren't gonna find anything way better than what you already have IMHO

lowedt, theRagman, C-4 and 2 others like this.
  4. doc

doc Member

I have a couple of suggestions. First, does one of your current 3 amps get most of the playing time? I'd probably look for something that is kind of similar to that one. Second, get some candidate amps in mind and go find one to play if possible. Don't sell at least the amp you currently play most until the new one is in hand. Also, I'd suggest trying out some of your current amps with a good attenuator before you decide to let them go.

tone? and deadbeat son like this.
  5. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

:warning What ever you do, keep the 2204.
    You will regret letting it go.

Summa, GAT, rusty and 4 others like this.
  6. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

At one point in time, I had a JCM 2000 DSL 50 head. Although I loved the green channel, the red left me a bit indifferent.

While I don't expect anything "better", I just don't see the need to have all of these amps anymore.

Honestly the Fender gets the most playing time, but only because of its size. Most of the time I play is while hanging out with my 4 year-old daughter while she plays with her toys in the same room. Also, good thought on the attenuator. It's a shame I don't have my old THD HotPlate anymore.

I probably should have listed some of the things I like about each amp. I primarily play dirty, but I do like the rich cleans of the Princeton. I love the Marshall for that classic Marshall grind. But a 50 watt half-stack just doesn't get much playtime at home these days. Likewise with the AC30. I love the tone of it driven hard at gig volume, but at home it's kind of blah.

Perhaps I could keep the Fender and get something like a 65 Amps London to take care of the Marshall and Vox tones in a smaller package?

I had a '77 1959 at the same time as this 2204. It honestly sounded better than the 2204, but the 2204 was more practical so I ended up selling the 1959 four or five years ago. The 2204 is okay, but I've played and owned better Marshalls.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  7. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I bet with good EL-34s (back to what it should be) and pre amp tubes with a proper bias you may feel/think differently.
    Maybe not.
    BTW, your 2204 will cop 1987 tones easily. Just reverse the use of the pre-amp and master volume.

deadbeat son likes this.
  8. gbyrnes77

gbyrnes77 Member

MESA Rectoverb 25

quilsaw and deadbeat son like this.
  9. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

Find a used Mesa TA-30

moosewayne, quilsaw, redragon and 2 others like this.
  10. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

I haven't cared a lot for the Mesa amps (Maverick, Dual Rectifier Solo) I've owned in the past, but if I see either of these when I'm out and about I will try be sure to try them.

Fair enough. My 1959 had =C= EL34s vs the 6550s in the 2204. That amp just had something magical about it. Unfortunately, I cleared out A LOT of stuff when prepping for my daughter to be born. We had a small house at the time and needed to make room for the baby and her stuff.

11. MattC

MattC Member

If you love the fender cleans, then I really encourage you to keep the fender even if you add something else. No matter what people say about some amp having "fender cleans," it's usually not accurate. I really think "fender cleans" is one of the most misused gear analogies/tone descriptions out there. Nothing sounds quite like a nice fender. It's not for everyone but it is definitely its own thing. People seem to use this descriptor for any amp with a reasonable clean sound and it's just not accurate.

Even my beloved Mesa Mark V 90 has some great clean sounds, and a well-deserved reputation for great cleans. But it's not as sweet for that kind of thing as my 65 DRRI no matter which of the three clean modes I use or how I dial them.

voojo and deadbeat son like this.
  12. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Some believe no amp does it all. They might be right.

Having said that, my Friedman Dirty Shirley does it all, lol. It has to. Haven't encountered a limit yet. Maybe a pedal is needed on occasion.

OddJobb and deadbeat son like this.
  13. scott58

scott58 Member

I get what your saying about modelers, on their own I don't like them that much. The processed stereo sound just isn't for me. But the second I plugged one into my Valve Jr I couldn't believe how good it sounded and the versatility it afforded me was amazing. I only play at home and need lower volume, but the only thing I've heard lately that comes close to the tones I get was a Roland blues artist and that was a lot more money then I got in my stuff. Plug a modeler into a good clean tube signal before you decide.

14. jpage

jpage Member

There really is nothing that a Mesa Mark V can't do IME. And do very very well. And do very very well at all volume levels. Spend a week or two with one, you won't give it back.

moosewayne and Ti-Ron like this.
  15. taken

taken Member

Bad Cat Black Cat 15 or 30 with K Master IMO.

16. jklotz

jklotz Member

I don't like modelers either. Take a look at the Kemper. It's not a modler, it's a "profiler". Trust me, they are different. I use them for home and gigs.

Ejay likes this.
  17. Dale

Dale Member

I recently began a similar search. I didn't want to go over 25 was though. I ordered a used Mesa V:25 this morning. A full size Mark V though, or a V:35.

18. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

19. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I'd keep the princton and sell the other two. Buy a Marshall pedal and a vox pedal and have fun. Have fun and when /if you gig again buy something then.

theRagman and picnic like this.
  20. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I agree with the "keepers".

I've been playing 45 years and have had dry spells of 2-5 years with many years of gigging in between. It always seems to come back around. So, there will probably be a day when you can use those amps again.

Secondly, those amps are very nice vintage pieces and well-maintained samples are getting hard to find. There's a lot of value there!

Lastly, if you're not playing out then you're not hauling stuff around so why downsize? Line 'em up and plug and play - and enjoy - whenever desired. I ended up downsizing the most when I was gigging the most because of all the hauling and, eventually, due to back injury.