Do Les Paul Double cuts sound different?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Goldstrat, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I have never played a LP double cut and I am curious if they sound alot different than a regular LP? Are they thinner or brighter since they have less mass?

2. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Yes! they sound Way different! A bit Brighter and slightly more articulate in the upper mids.
    Also, Many have 24 fret necks. Which alter the traditional 22 fret LP tone in a BIG way.

3. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Chamberd body and 24 fret neck. The 24 frets force the Neck PU toward bridge, (similar to SG). I think they come with 490R and 498T PU.

Jack

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The 24 fret models probably do because the pickups are in a different place. I had a 22 fret DC Pro, and it sounded just like a regular Standard to me.

5. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Member

I have a 24-fret Studio DC and don't hear such a big difference to my LP Classic, other than what's attributable to the ceramics in the Classic.

6. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Are you talking about the arched-top DC Standard types or the flat-top DC Special types? The flat-tops sound as much like a regular LP as any LP. The arched tops neck pickups are a little cleaner in ther 24-fret models, IMO. Otherwise it's pretty close.

7. echale3

echale3 Member

My Double Cut Faded Les Paul Special sounds waaaaay different than my Vintage Mahogany Les Paul, but the DC P-90s in it and the VM has Burstbucker pros...

It's not really a valid comparison, IMO....

8. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Supporting Member

I'm not sure how many frets the guitar has I have to go play it still. I have seen it hanging up and it always interested me. It is a Goldtop with a dark back probably 6 or 7 years old. From what I remember it is probably the regular neck like an LP not the longer one. I'm going to check it out tonight.